Page 34 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Horizons Spoilers

Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

Hypergenesis enabler that can fizzle without fuss

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Ruination rioter does seem dangerous. But not in Lands, which typically does not have as many lands as you might think in its graveyard. (Freakin Kress and Six is going to be amazing in Lands, btw)

Dredge would be a closer relative to rioter’s home. But it would need a whole new build. I think this card is safe at the moment.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Interesting new option, which is likely worse than Deluge most of the time, but could depend on where the Snow mechanic goes from here.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Dredge would be a closer relative to rioter’s home. But it would need a whole new build. I think this card is safe at the moment.
    I think it will be a modern card. Modern dredge is base G/R and is heavily focused on loam synergies already while playing enough lands to make this a reasonable play, usually around 20.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Ruination rioter does seem dangerous. But not in Lands, which typically does not have as many lands as you might think in its graveyard. (Freakin Kress and Six is going to be amazing in Lands, btw)

I think to make Rioter work in Dredge in some kind of "one shot" build, you'd want to go back to the old 5c versions with stuff like Winds of Change or Breakthrough or Tolarian Winds. You'd try to trigger 3-4 Lingering Chills at once, then Return and Therapy the Rioter for the last damage. It's a t2-t3 kill that doesn't use the combat step and gets stopped by most Dredge hate. Maybe with Bridge from Below tokens you can get a couple shots off, but is that really better than just bringing back a couple of Lotleth Giants?

I think Ruinator has a home, but it's more in a RG aggro shell with fetches and wastes in the 'yard, and that deck has other problems that ruinator doesn't solve.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I think it will be a modern card. Modern dredge is base G/R and is heavily focused on loam synergies already while playing enough lands to make this a reasonable play, usually around 20.
    If skred is good enough for modern, i think dead of winter will be too.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Sure...but I was referencing Ruination Rioter.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

bruizar

Sure...but I was referencing Ruination Rioter.
    woops, meant to quote H

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post

Interesting new option, which is likely worse than Deluge most of the time, but could depend on where the Snow mechanic goes from here.
    Nice evocative flavor and image.

Quote Originally Posted by Glass House View Post
    [Throes of Chaos]

Honestly, one of the best mana dumps I've ever seen.
    I don't think the card is all that strong, but I really like the design.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Modern, yes. Because they don't have Deluge and mono-Black is already near competitive. With the Basic fetch, now one could even stay in Snow and get a splash color to clean up annoying stuff you couldn't before.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Modern, yes. Because they don't have Deluge and mono-Black is already near competitive. With the Basic fetch, now one could even stay in Snow and get a splash color to clean up annoying stuff you couldn't before.
    Maybe 8 rack wants this? It could swap out Mutavaults for the new snow-manland and play snow Swamps. Seems very good, actually.
    Brainstorm Realist

bruizar

Finally finished the cycle

Morphling
    Brightling
    Endling
    Thornling
    Torchling

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Finally finished the cycle

Morphling
    Brightling
    Endling
    Thornling
    Torchling

I saw this as well. This is a really cool riff on a black Morphling. I love that with a little mana investment you can have a 1/5 deathtouch blocker, and rather than bouncing it to hand you get undying. Having it start at only 4 mana is different, maybe because they realized 5 would make it literally unplayable?
    Brainstorm Realist

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I saw this as well. This is a really cool riff on a black Morphling. I love that with a little mana investment you can have a 1/5 deathtouch blocker, and rather than bouncing it to hand you get undying. Having it start at only 4 mana is different, maybe because they realized 5 would make it literally unplayable?
    And 3 would be busted with Unearth (which is now Modern legal). Brightling already busted up the 5 CMC paradigm anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    I didn't see any amazing White changeling in terms of just curving out but there is a 1/1 for with changeling that can conditionally fly, it's pretty bad.

There are a few one-drop Clerics with like 3 types, like Weathered Wayfarer and Children of Korlis which have... "an amount" of potential. Might be worth glancing at Rebels too, a lot of them have 3 creature types and even as 2-drops it's a reduction of to the card in question
    It's also good in multiples, since it gives -5 to the next one. So if, your hand was full of them and you manage to get one out for 3 mana, you can curve into two of them next turn. Magical Christmas, I know, but a 3/3 doublestrike with all the right creature types isn't bad.

this has built in Unearth.

you just need a way to remove the counter from it

Quote Originally Posted by Glass House View Post

Honestly, one of the best mana dumps I've ever seen.
    I love it. Don't care if it doesn't pan out. I'm just going to buy a foil playset and hold it.

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    this has built in Unearth.

you just need a way to remove the counter from it
    Other Modern Legal cards (with relevant typing) Soul Diviner, Plague Belcher.

Plague Belcher doesn’t remove the counter, adds negative counters. Not sure it works

Thread Information