Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 130

Thread: Modern Horizons Spoilers

  1. #41

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Oops

  2. #42

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    It costs one mana and triggers on your first combat step. You lose a lot of value slamming it alone, but it's not a slow card.
    RTFC my man... triggers on precombat main phase.

  3. #43
    Hymn-Slinger
    H's Avatar
    Join Date

    Sep 2008
    Location

    The U-easy-anna
    Posts

    2,009

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Agree with what you said, just mentioning my LGS doesn't support any constructed events because of how WOTC treats the local game stores and favors the walmarts and amazons of this world. Now there is lots of Legend of the Five Rings today.
    While I didn't play it then, I do play the L5R LCG now. From that I have heard though, the "issues" with Old5R go beyond just not supporting small stores. The game itself was fundamentally flawed, it seems, in a number of ways, which were all exacerbated over time.

    I'm pretty sure that Hasbro's dictum to Wizards is to grow the game, in toto. Straight cannibalizing Paper sales to Arena won't do that. Will there be some trade off though? Absolutely.

    The sky isn't falling, we are just in transition. Will some LGS suffer? Yes. Will the game collapse? Likely not. Each LGS is going to have to make a cost-benefit analysis, like any business does, over time, in the face of shifting business and demographic factors. Some might not emerge having events make business sense. Others likely will. That doesn't preclude that the game is worse off, in general, though.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

  4. #44
    Hymn-Slinger
    H's Avatar
    Join Date

    Sep 2008
    Location

    The U-easy-anna
    Posts

    2,009

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    I watched it again: It will be releasing in paper and MODO, and what he said was "[not mtg arena] on launch". And then the other annoucer said "primarily a paper product".
    Ah, ok, I must have interpreted the "on launch" part as an implication that the possibility of it coming at some point was open. Which, perhaps it is, but certainly not definite. I think the issue there is that they do want to somehow get Modern onto Arena, in theory, but are unsure if it's a good idea in practice or how to do it practically speaaking.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

  5. #45

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    My wishlist that I think has a reasonable chance of seeing reprintings:

    Unearth - they're very comfortable with rezzing 2cmc stuff from the GY to the battlefield in Standard, so I don't think going up to 3 cmc is a no-go.
    Astral Slide/Lightning Rift - people have been asking for these forever, but they're never going to see print in Standard, this would be a great way to get them in.
    Counterspell - if Force is the glue that holds Legacy together, this would be the glue for Modern, and honestly it's needed.
    Containment Priest/Flusterstorm - combo/nonsense hate is pretty safe and well liked, these both could have been printed in Standard.


    Some Legacy defining stuff that definitely WON'T be in new Modern:

    Wasteland, Force, Brainstorm, Ancient Tomb, TNN, Leovold

  6. #46

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Counterspell is a great bet, and even got mentioned by name in the video.

    I think Carrion Feeder is a good bet too.

  7. #47
    Hymn-Slinger
    H's Avatar
    Join Date

    Sep 2008
    Location

    The U-easy-anna
    Posts

    2,009

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Some Legacy defining stuff that definitely WON'T be in new Modern:

    Wasteland, Force, Brainstorm, Ancient Tomb, TNN, Leovold
    Yeah, have to say, Wasteland, Force and Brainstorm and Ancient Tomb are completely anenthema to modern design principles.

    True name has literally been remarked on by Wizards as an outright mistake. Leovold? Well, I don't really know what they were thinking there, but even now minus Deathrite, it still is a rather stupid design.

    That being said, Blue in Modern is vastly different than Blue in Legacy/Vintage, so something like Leovold's impact would likely be different entirely. That doesn't mean it would be good for the format, but I'm not sure I'd say it's definitely terrible for it either.

    I think some things that are simple would be good ideas too. Like Pyrobast/Hydrobast and, of course, Counterspell. In Modern, is a real trade off in cost from so I doubt if Counterspell is a real issue. I think though, we are more likely to see things that were in Commander sets and the like, than we are to see things from pre-8th edition sets.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

  8. #48

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Whats the trigger timing for Cabal Therapist? Does the opp have to respond to the ability being announced? Or can the opp respond after the card is named?

  9. #49

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by Pittplayer View Post
    Whats the trigger timing for Cabal Therapist? Does the opp have to respond to the ability being announced? Or can the opp respond after the card is named?
    The sacrifice, the naming, and the discard are all done during resolution, not when put on the stack.

  10. #50
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    6,466

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    My LGS owner reckons this might be more about Arena than anything else. WotC are apparently withdrawing their support for store events and shifting most of their focus online. He said Arena is now their dominant revenue stream which seems crazy to me that it has got there so quickly but I guess it could be true.
    Heartstone reached revenue much higher than Magic's Paper + Digital combined within 1-2 years. The idea doesn't seem too crazy.
    Currently working on: Infinity Stompy

  11. #51
    plays Mountains
    Ace/Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2011
    Location

    Philadelphia Area
    Posts

    2,132

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    I'm hoping for Goblin Lackey and Goblin Matron/Goblin Ringleader. That *might* get me to completely switch to Modern...

  12. #52
    Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Dice_Box's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2013
    Location

    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.
    Posts

    4,742

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    I'm hoping for Goblin Lackey and Goblin Matron/Goblin Ringleader. That *might* get me to completely switch to Modern...
    Don't you tease me.

    God... But you do not have the Mana control. So maybe something else too. Bidding? Please Bidding. (There won't be Bidding)
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

  13. #53
    plays Mountains
    Ace/Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2011
    Location

    Philadelphia Area
    Posts

    2,132

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    I don't know if you'd need it as much... And bullshit like R/B Wort would be playable.

  14. #54
    Member
    8bit9mm's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2017
    Location

    TN
    Posts

    140

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Fire // Ice

    That is my wild speculation.

  15. #55

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    How about Chant/Vindicate/Deed? Or some of the other Invasion greatest hits like Prophetic Bolt and Fact or Fiction?

    I mean, just in general I would expect the majority of these "new to Modern" reprints to come from Invasion/Odyssey/Onslaught era. They'd basically figured out modern card design by that point, and for the most parts, those sets were very popular.

    Would be cool to see Contested Cliffs make a comeback.

  16. #56

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    All signs point to wotc wanting to merge eternal formats. This will be a net negative for legacy, as modern will creep into and appropriate its identity every modern horizons set they release. 200 reprints per set will only take 3 years before every non-reserved list card with tournament viability becomes modern legal. This means, we keep mostly LED, City of Traitors, Cradle, Metalworker and the original duals. We have seen the unsustainable reprint practices from the masterpieces and modern masters sets. Thismwill take it a step further and will be milked out hard

    Wotc will consolidate the fragmented player base and support modern that can be reprinted to demand and thus makes a lot more commercial sense. Given the choice, they will support a format that is not constrained by reserved list for the sole reason of wanting full control over their game.

    Legacy players will be thrown a bone to keep them content and unaware of the bigger picture, until it's too late and the identity of legacy has largely vanished.

    If you're buying Modern Horizons, you are supporting the slow demise of legacy.
    How is that a bad thing? If (and big if) they make Modern play like legacy (as you're suggesting) you end up with a significantly larger player-base playing the same format for 1/3 of the price.

    I wouldn't be surprised if in 5 year the eternal formats are Vintage, Modern (with loads of the legacy cards being printed into the format), Arena Modern.

  17. #57
    Hymn-Slinger
    H's Avatar
    Join Date

    Sep 2008
    Location

    The U-easy-anna
    Posts

    2,009

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    How about Chant/Vindicate/Deed? Or some of the other Invasion greatest hits like Prophetic Bolt and Fact or Fiction?

    I mean, just in general I would expect the majority of these "new to Modern" reprints to come from Invasion/Odyssey/Onslaught era. They'd basically figured out modern card design by that point, and for the most parts, those sets were very popular.

    Would be cool to see Contested Cliffs make a comeback.
    My three favorite Magic cards are Counterspell, Hymn to Tourach, and Pernicious Deed.

    Hymn is right out. Counterspell I think can be right in. Deed on the other hand, is actually quite, for modern players, unintuitive. Because it can destroy lands, because it doesn't even consider Planewalkers, I just don't think they'll want to introduce it, but I'd sure be happy to be wrong on that. I mean, they have reprinted it several times already, so I think there is a reasonable chance.

    Fact or Fiction would be interesting though. Like I've said, Blue in Modern really isn't anything close to dominant, even Jace didn't really change that much, so FoF is likely more than fine. I just don't know what Chant is even good at all, although Vindicate being able to hit lands probably takes it right out of the question.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

  18. #58

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    My three favorite Magic cards are Counterspell, Hymn to Tourach, and Pernicious Deed.

    Hymn is right out. Counterspell I think can be right in. Deed on the other hand, is actually quite, for modern players, unintuitive. Because it can destroy lands, because it doesn't even consider Planewalkers, I just don't think they'll want to introduce it, but I'd sure be happy to be wrong on that. I mean, they have reprinted it several times already, so I think there is a reasonable chance.

    Fact or Fiction would be interesting though. Like I've said, Blue in Modern really isn't anything close to dominant, even Jace didn't really change that much, so FoF is likely more than fine. I just don't know what Chant is even good at all, although Vindicate being able to hit lands probably takes it right out of the question.
    I think Vindicate being able to hit lands is actually a point in its favor right now. They have a HUGE problem with Tron in Modern, because it's just fundamentally a Turn Three deck in a Turn Four format, and they clearly don't want to ban Tron, so having more answers to it is probably a good thing in their books. I mean, Tron is the ONLY reason Trophy is able to hit lands, and considering that Tron can still go off before a three mana LD spell comes online.. I think it's got better than decent odds. Being able to hit planeswalkers is probably a bonus for it too, now that they've started to realize they need more viable 'walker removal.

    I do agree that Hymn is right out though.

  19. #59

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Heartstone reached revenue much higher than Magic's Paper + Digital combined within 1-2 years. The idea doesn't seem too crazy.
    Don't you guys love playing Hearthstone: The Gathering? Well done design team. /s

  20. #60
    Hymn-Slinger
    H's Avatar
    Join Date

    Sep 2008
    Location

    The U-easy-anna
    Posts

    2,009

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    I think Vindicate being able to hit lands is actually a point in its favor right now. They have a HUGE problem with Tron in Modern, because it's just fundamentally a Turn Three deck in a Turn Four format, and they clearly don't want to ban Tron, so having more answers to it is probably a good thing in their books. I mean, Tron is the ONLY reason Trophy is able to hit lands, and considering that Tron can still go off before a three mana LD spell comes online.. I think it's got better than decent odds. Being able to hit planeswalkers is probably a bonus for it too, now that they've started to realize they need more viable 'walker removal.

    I do agree that Hymn is right out though.
    You are probably right. I honestly don't know much about the current state of Modern, as it is. Tron is always a pain in the ass though, in the only non-FNM Modern event I ever played, I had something like 7 Sideboard cards versus Tron, I only managed to find one, once, across both sideboard games and predictably lost. I'd have liked the London mulligan there, but that's for another thread, haha.

    That's where the fact that Wasteland will never enter the format really creates second order problems that then need to be address by suboptimal solutions. But Wasteland would wreck the whole format, frankly. I really wonder if a Tectonic Edge without the number of lands clause would really be all that broken though. I don't know that we'll ever find out though.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)