Page 1 of 47 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Horizons Spoilers

Modern Horizons Spoilers

Currently being spoiled on stream. All cards in this set are legal in Modern on down.

First spoiler:

Cabal Therapist
    B, 1/1, Creature-Horror
    At the beginning of your precombat main phase, you may sacrifice a creature. If you do, choose a nonland card name, then target player reveals their hand and discards all cards with that name.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

"The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Serra the Benevolent
    WW2, 4 Loyalty Planeswalker
    +2: Creature you control with flying get +1/+1 until end of turn.
    -3: Creature a 4/4 Angel Creature token w/ Flying and Vigilance
    -6: You get an emblem with "If you contorl a creature, damage that would reduce your life total to less than 1 reduces it to 1 instead."

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Wait so this is a supplemental set that is Modern legal?
    Or is this the next set and I missed the Planeswalker War set.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    So she's a 4 mana Serra Angel token with upside OR a one turn delay on an unremovable Worship? That's pretty darn good. Like, that's your new white walker if you want a faster win to pair with Jace and Teferi, or she's a ridic defense mechanism in any kind of weenie or token deck.

Great art too.

New set, replacing the Modern Masters line
    254 cards + BAB card, the BAB card is a reprint
    ALL cards are either brand new to Magic, or are reprints that have NEVER been modern legal (IE, Older than 8th, or Commander/conspiracy type stuff)
    Cards bypass standard, and are immediately legal in Modern and older (Legacy, Vintage)
    June 14th RElease date

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

The card seems reasonably good; but it also seems like a total parody haha

It's interesting that it basically makes your deck full of cabal therapy's if you want it to be. Seems good with/against SFM (with because it's an evasive beater, against because you just wait until they finally have an equip to sac)

EDIT: just realized it's at the beginning, not just during. That's a lot worse for anti-combo in legacy. Still, a menace 1/1 may be interesting with a relevant anti-hand ability
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Wait so this is a supplemental set that is Modern legal?
    Or is this the next set and I missed the Planeswalker War set.
    Supplemental set that just skips Standard. Has some reprints, but all reprints have never been Modern legal before.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Supplemental set that just skips Standard. Has some reprints, but all reprints have never been Modern legal before.
    So this is Modern Meta Shakeup: the Set?
    First I'm hearing of it, seems like a big deal though
    I need to pay more attention
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Was a stealth sort of announcement. Was first partly "leaked" this morning because CFB posted the events associated with this set, so we found out it existed, but none of the details.

Word on the street is that ""99$ sealed GP entry indicates that the set will be priced as a normal booster set. (recent UMA GP was $150)" but take that with a grain of salt, as I'm not 100% sure about this, vis-à-vis the announced $6.99 price point per pack on MTGO. It also was not said how many packs come per box.

Additional spoilers come in May.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Oh hell yes Time Spiral Pt 2!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Oh shit, does this mean Modern is coming to MTG Arena? That'd be awesome.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by tescrin View Post
    EDIT: just realized it's at the beginning, not just during. That's a lot worse for anti-combo in legacy. Still, a menace 1/1 may be interesting with a relevant anti-hand ability
    The timing still works decently with all those combat token producers like Legion Warboss/Goblin Rabblemaster.

T1 Cabal Therapist
    T2 Bitterblossom

also seems like a complete beating. If you want to be fancy, you could Dark Ritual out both on T1 to have mana open for T2 (although you still wouldn't get Therapies from tokens before T2 this way). But since both parts are dirt cheap and good on their own, this combo is probably something to look out for in the future.

Hoping this cures the fundamental problem with Modern having broken linear decks. If they make a Delver-esque tempo deck viable it could really solve a lot of problems in helping police the never-ending nonsense that goes unchecked in the format. If they don't fix that problem its just gonna be the format of constant bannings.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    The timing still works decently with all those combat token producers like Legion Warboss/Goblin Rabblemaster.

T1 Cabal Therapist
    T2 Bitterblossom

also seems like a complete beating. If you want to be fancy, you could Dark Ritual out both on T1 to have mana open for T2 (although you still wouldn't get Therapies from tokens before T2 this way). But since both parts are dirt cheap and good on their own, this combo is probably something to look out for in the future.
    Also good with Young Peezy (every spell you cast can also double as a Cabal Therapy) and Lingering Souls.

Could also be good with Veteran Explorer.

Ideally it would be in a deck that makes use of the creature itself otherwise I'm not sure its as good as the original Cabal Therapy. Seems like if they have to waste removal on this guy you are already winning.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Blood View Post
    Could also be good with Veteran Explorer.
    A repeatable sac outlet for Nic Fit? Sounds good. Would the deck run up to 8 Therapy effects? With 8x Therapies, 4x GSZ and 4x Explorers, that would give quite a bit of consistency for T2 shenanigans.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    A repeatable sac outlet for Nic Fit? Sounds good. Would the deck run up to 8 Therapy effects? With 8x Therapies, 4x GSZ and 4x Explorers, that would give quite a bit of consistency for T2 shenanigans.
    You mean T6 shenanigans

T1 Therapist
    T2 Explorer
    T3 sac explorer for mana

or

T1 Explorer
    T2 Therapist
    T3 sac explorer for mana

Unfortunately it seems very difficult to have this sac anything even as early as turn 2, due to the timing of the trigger.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

T1: Therapist, Memnite
    T2: Use your cabal therapy on a stick.

bruizar

All signs point to wotc wanting to merge eternal formats. This will be a net negative for legacy, as modern will creep into and appropriate its identity every modern horizons set they release. 200 reprints per set will only take 3 years before every non-reserved list card with tournament viability becomes modern legal. This means, we keep mostly LED, City of Traitors, Cradle, Metalworker and the original duals. We have seen the unsustainable reprint practices from the masterpieces and modern masters sets. Thismwill take it a step further and will be milked out hard

Wotc will consolidate the fragmented player base and support modern that can be reprinted to demand and thus makes a lot more commercial sense. Given the choice, they will support a format that is not constrained by reserved list for the sole reason of wanting full control over their game.

Legacy players will be thrown a bone to keep them content and unaware of the bigger picture, until it's too late and the identity of legacy has largely vanished.

If you're buying Modern Horizons, you are supporting the slow demise of legacy.

Thread Information