Page 7 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Horizons Spoilers

May 2015
    PDX

Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Pittplayer View Post
    This whole conversation just became laughable. Humility, Blood Moon, Deathrite Shaman, Chalice of the Void are more fair/better designed then Containment Priest? Whatever you say bud. I'm done.
    It‘s quite simple bud, these aren‘t one card combos that say “I can‘t lose.“ Hate cards range between silly and obnoxious/dumb. No matter how ‘derpy‘ a hate card is it should not be perfect, eternal/no sustain, broad and absolute [and a wincon all at the same time].

A modern Vial/CoCo deck is unabashedly braindead and linear/uninteractive in that it is a 1-trick pony with the exact same play patterns. Cards like RiP/Stony/C. Priest/etc are made to allow them to never deviate from their style of dude jammin, because the moment their strategy predictably fails to interact, they reach a sideboard card rather than realizing the maindeck should probably be changed if X strategy is a concern.

You can subjectively dislike things like TurboMoon and Sol Land into Chalice x=1, but these cards have objective limitations. Limits create atypical opportunities to play through hate, without necessarily having to go straight to a kill spell.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Wtf how is this thread 7 pages long? They've only spoiled 2 cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    it‘s quite simple bud, these aren‘t one card combos that say “i can‘t lose.“ hate cards range between silly and obnoxious/dumb. No matter how ‘derpy‘ a hate card is it should not be perfect, eternal/no sustain, broad and absolute [and a wincon all at the same time].

A modern vial/coco deck is unabashedly braindead and linear/uninteractive in that it is a 1-trick pony with the exact same play patterns. Cards like rip/stony/c. Priest/etc are made to allow them to never deviate from their style of dude jammin, because the moment their strategy predictably fails to interact, they reach a sideboard card rather than realizing the maindeck should probably be changed if x strategy is a concern.

You can subjectively dislike things like turbomoon and sol land into chalice x=1, but these cards have objective limitations. Limits create atypical opportunities to play through hate, without necessarily having to go straight to a kill spell.
    hahahahahahahaha Yes. Containment Priest is a perfect absolute win card. What was I thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    -cards that require alternative lines from opponents (like Meddling Mage, True Believer, Humility)
    To be honest, how is Containment Priest any different? You are forced to either answer the troublesome permanent that is impeding your deck of working, or try to get around it with "alternative lines" (aka change your deck's entire gameplan). Which one sounds simpler to accomplish?

-cards with symmetrical effects which require specific deckbuilding (Chains of Mephistopheles, Chalice of the Void, Smokestack, Blood Moon)
    Again, Containment Priest is no different. Its effect is symmetrical. You are unable to run Vial alongside it or any other cards that cheat creatures into play.

Priest is a very strong hate card but you talk about it as if its text read
    Flash
    Hexproof
    If a nontoken creature would enter the battlefield under an opponent's control and it wasn't cast, exile it instead.

Both Cabal Therapist and Dread Shade should have had a zombie subtype.

It sucks that Dread Shade is the only one of the dominiara 3 mana cycle that doesnt see play in any format.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrislegend View Post
    In addition to killing Phoenix and Dredge, Containment Priest kills Eldritch Evolution, Chord of Calling, Collected Company, Aether Vial, Living End, Through the Breach, Goryo's Vengeance, and all decks that hoped to use Flickerwisp or Eldrazi Displacer on their own stuff. The format would devolve to midrange, all-in aggro, and control. I would literally quit Modern.
    Those decks would simply need to incorporate some way to kill a 2/2 creature. Not that big a deal.

The best thing about containment priest is that by printing it, Wizards may be able to remove several cards from the current modern ban list.
    Last edited by Captain Hammer; 03-08-2019 at 12:58 PM.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Glass House View Post
    To be honest, how is Containment Priest any different? You are forced to either answer the troublesome permanent that is impeding your deck of working, or try to get around it with "alternative lines" (aka change your deck's entire gameplan). Which one sounds simpler to accomplish?

Again, Containment Priest is no different. Its effect is symmetrical. You are unable to run Vial alongside it or any other cards that cheat creatures into play.

Priest is a very strong hate card but you talk about it as if its text read
    Flash
    Hexproof
    If a nontoken creature would enter the battlefield under an opponent's control and it wasn't cast, exile it instead.
    It really comes back to their is no Leyline of creatures can't enter the battlefield being a more accurate representation of the kind of card C. Priest is. This is the level of random 1-card absolute, eternal hate that doesn't require anything out a deck that didn't care about having creatures (or even a deck that uses creatures, but isn't the deck relying solely on creatures) - these cards [regardless of dying to removal] say this card by itself has declared this to be a non-game that I can't lose regardless [mostly] of whatever my own maindeck strategy is (until addressed directly). The reaction to a Leyline like that should be "that kinda seems like a bullcrap card....cause it just is...as a function of being solely designed to make a non-game." This same scenario of "we're clearly not playing actual games of magic here" could also be illustrated by letting one person have opening hands with Dark Rit/Necropotence - dies to removal/just cast Pithing Needle isn't going to fix that whole 'this is non-gamey' aspect.

Meddling Mage stops a specific named endpoint of a plan (or a single piece leading up to it). True Believer is only going to affect one type of endpoint [requiring targeting the opponent]. Humility does not change the fact that they still get 1/1 wincons. When it comes to Humility it has another critically important aspect: influencing how its users maindeck is going to look - you will see atypical things like manlands and preferences away from Snapcaster (~Mission Briefing). What you won't see in decks that run to the SB C. Priests of the world is a maindeck that is forced to look different to cope with the effects of the hate they're packing, nor do they have to change the maindeck to address a bad matchup (you just side in some fire-and-forget free rolls that win the game by themselves).

In the case of modern, C. Priest might get directly killed...but until it is directly killed an unacceptably wide swath of the modern format can't do anything resembling a real game of magic except try and draw a kill spell. You can sit back and say they should change tens of cards and totally not do anything like what their deck was supposed to do - but we really have to remember that there is no single, broadly-applicable [i.e. not narrow] "you're done playing magic" card that you can bounce back at a C. Priest user.

In the case of modern, C. Priest might get directly killed...but until it is directly killed an unacceptably wide swath of the modern format can't do anything resembling a real game of magic except try and draw a kill spell.
    What?
    What modern decks even care about a 2/2 that stops you cheating stuff into play? Humans and a few fringe reanimators?

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    What?
    What modern decks even care about a 2/2 that stops you cheating stuff into play? Humans and a few fringe reanimators?
    Most of the format right now actually. The amount of decks that are playing out of the grave is high. The chance for stopping the Faithless decks would be lovely.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Most of the format right now actually. The amount of decks that are playing out of the grave is high. The chance for stopping the Faithless decks would be lovely.
    Pheonix, dredge, kinda humans and....
    EDIT: This isn't even that good against graveyard decks because it doesn't stop spells like Cage, it doesn't empty the graveyard like RIP and leyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    I was just curious and somewhat surprised:

http://www.tcdecks.net/results.php?t...ide=&strict=on

http://www.tcdecks.net/results.php?t...ide=&strict=on

It's definitely seen some play, but it certainly isn't high profile.
    The most recent deck on that list is from almost a year ago, and it didn't see particularly frequent play even before that. My point is that if Containment Priest was as gobsmackingly good as was claimed it would be, one would have expect to see Hallowed Moonlight as more than an ultra-fringe sideboard card.

It really comes back to their is no Leyline of artifacts don't do anything being a more accurate representation of the kind of card Stony Silence is. This is the level of random 1-card absolute, eternal hate that doesn't require anything out a deck that didn't care about having Artifacts (or even a deck that uses artifacts, but isn't the deck relying solely on activated abilities of artifacts) - these cards [regardless of dying to removal] say this card by itself has declared this to be a non-game that I can't lose regardless [mostly] of whatever my own maindeck strategy is (until addressed directly). The reaction to a Leyline like that should be "that kinda seems like a bullcrap card....cause it just is...as a function of being solely designed to make a non-game." This same scenario of "we're clearly not playing actual games of magic here" could also be illustrated by letting one person have opening hands with an absolutely bullshit analogy

Containment Priests stops a specific named endpoint of a plan (or a single piece leading up to it). Containment Priest is only going to affect one type of endpoint [cheating creatures into play]. Containment Priest does not change the fact that they still get to hardcast their creatures. When it comes to Containment Priest it has another critically important aspect: influencing how its users maindeck is going to look - you will see atypical things like manlands and preferences away from Collected Company. What you won't see in decks that run to the SB Stony Silences of the world is a maindeck that is forced to look different to cope with the effects of the hate they're packing, nor do they have to change the maindeck to address a bad matchup (you just side in some fire-and-forget free rolls that win the game by themselves).

In the case of modern, Stony Silence might get directly killed...but until it is directly killed an unacceptably wide swath (Red Affinity / Scales / Whir / Tron) of the modern format can't do anything resembling a real game of magic except try and draw a kill spell. You can sit back and say they should change tens of cards and totally not do anything like what their deck was supposed to do - but we really have to remember that there is no single, broadly-applicable [i.e. not narrow] "you're done playing magic" card that you can bounce back at a Stony Silence user.
    Nice pasta
    Did you really just try to compare containment priest to necropotence
    rofl

Where are the spoilers? New set new spoilers! SPOIL THIS ALREADY WIZARDS!

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Where are the spoilers? New set new spoilers! SPOIL THIS ALREADY WIZARDS!
    Either the 19th or the 20th, Wizards has said both dates, so we'll see. I think WAR had Sunday spoilers, so it may well be the 19th in this case as well.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

Someone posted a apparently leaked list about few cards to be reprinted.
    I looked too broken to me to be true.
    I will have a look if i can find it again.

Edit: image added

This might be some serious bullshit. I found it on MtgSalvation from a reliable source ;)
    Too broken to be true.

Edit 2: Apparently Oubliette will be reprinted and there will be a completely new PW.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

You could probably make a sale on some of that stuff, but Gush and Grindstone in Modern? Not buying that. Maybe some of that stuff is in and those are Promos.

Also, not sure I buy Daze as being in there...

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    You could probably make a sale on some of that stuff, but Gush and Grindstone in Modern? Not buying that. Maybe some of that stuff is in and those are Promos.

Also, not sure I buy Daze as being in there...
    Yeah gush is odd. Its also not even a hype promo card for moder players.
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    Yeah gush is odd. Its also not even a hype promo card for moder players.
    It's actually really bizarre to me. I mean, I think someone could make a case for it, since the sort of lands one wants to run in Modern have such an obvious set of drawbacks for being picked up, I don't think it would actually be "broken" it's just a stupid card. I think Pauper kind of shows that it is powerful even if you aren't out to "abuse" it, but I guess then we are asking, are they looking to sort of homogenize Pauper and Modern?

Stasis and Tinder Wall really make me disbelieve.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

No Grim Tutor or Imperial Seal? Seems legit.

*massages temples*
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Grindstone pls. Although besides the combo I can't think off the top of my head off there's any other really great synergies with everything being a specific color
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Thread Information