Page 33 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Horizons Spoilers

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Check out this one. Crashing Footfalls is highly playable!
    How can you cast htis T1? how is it better than something like hypergenesis?

Faithless looting T1, red final T2?
    T1 Elf, T2 as foretold?

What would be a good shell for it? is it good if suspended on T1? i don't think so (they don't have haste because it's a spell and not a creature)

Maybe shardless wants this. Putting bodies can be more important than drawing cards with ancestral vision, and it can't be pyroblasted.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    How can you cast htis T1? how is it better than something like hypergenesis?

Faithless looting T1, red final T2?
    T1 Elf, T2 as foretold?

What would be a good shell for it? is it good if suspended on T1? i don't think so (they don't have haste because it's a spell and not a creature)
    If you get there new Fires of Yavimaya type card that's on standard this coming off suspend can be pretty powerful
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    If you get there new Fires of Yavimaya type card that's on standard this coming off suspend can be pretty powerful
    T1 =faithless looting discard crashing footfalls and anger.
    T2 = final of promise to attack for 8.

I'm not sold on this :)

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Exsqueeze me! That land is certainly playable! Infinite turns with second chance btw. This set is crazy I can't believe they put so much juice in it.

Do we have to wait another 25 years for something crazy like this?

Check out this one. Crashing Footfalls is highly playable!

If you activate a Mutavault, does this dude cost WW?

Yes, and I think that's the intended goal. But if there's a good white channeling you don't have to wait until turn 3.
    Also, also. Humans has so many other types that it's playable there too.
    Like if your board is Hierarch and champion of the parish this guy only costs 4, add in a pirate? A monk? A wizard? I dunno, but I'd try it.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Shardless into 10 power on the board seems very good.
    -rob

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    T1 =faithless looting discard crashing footfalls and anger.
    T2 = final of promise to attack for 8.

I'm not sold on this :)
    Who needs phoenixes when you have fucking rhinos.

We have Finale of Promise, Electro Dominance, Conjured Casting, and As Foretold to cast these things.

Then we have this, ancestral vision, wheel of fate, and I guess restore balance as our payoff spells. I feel like there's gotta be something you can do just casting broken spells in modern
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

May 2015
    PDX

I don't think you really have to find some way to cheese Crashing Footfalls into play; that's a perfectly reasonable turn 1, getting two threats on board around the same time opponents are casting PWs. It's also pretty friendly to cards like Pernicious Deed, giving you time to time to deploy the Deed and then untap & detonate before resolving spell. As far as Shardless Agent goes, I would think they'd like the Snake-Strix guy more than this.

This card is also going to create windows of resolving a PW with 2x blockers, so it probably is more at home in BUG control than tap out and jam midrange~goodstuff.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I don't think you really have to find some way to cheese Crashing Footfalls into play; that's a perfectly reasonable turn 1, getting two threats on board around the same time opponents are casting PWs. It's also pretty friendly to cards like Pernicious Deed, giving you time to time to deploy the Deed and then untap & detonate before resolving spell. As far as Shardless Agent goes, I would think they'd like the Snake-Strix guy more than this.
    I was going to post something similar, 'this is a perfectly acceptable fair play by suspending t1 yadda yadda yadda'.

I don't think the new Strix is better for Shardless decks, Baleful is still superior. I think what Crashing Footfalls does is synergize with Shardless Agent without being susceptible to graveyard hate like Tarmogyf. Getting 8 power split over 2 bodies will usually be better than a 5/6 or 6/7 Goyf. It's more susceptible to stuff like Engineered Explosives, but that's really it's only weakness compared to Goyf.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Panoptic mirror has GOT to be good enough now!

bruizar

Here's a Modern Horizons list I brewed up to get the inspiration going!

MonoWhite Cawblade

4x Serra the Benevolent
    4x Gideon of the Trials
    2x Gideon Blackblade
    1x Nahiri, the Lithomancer
    3x Porphyry Nodes
    4x Chrome Mox
    4x Squadron Hawk
    4x Stoneforge Mystic
    1x Sword of Sinew and Steel
    1x Sword of Truth and Justice
    1x Batterskull
    2x History of Benalia
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    1x Scroll Rack
    2x Unexpectedly Absent
    2x Trinisphere
    1x Crucible of Worlds
    8x Plains
    4x Wasteland
    4x Ancient Tomb
    2x Karakas
    2x Hall of Heliod’s Generosity

Now just waiting for Angelic Spirit Guide.

* History of Benalia and Porphyry Nodes work with Hall of Heliod's Generosity
    * Gideon Blackblade is a creature for Serra the Benevolent emblem and a Gideon for Gideon of the Trials emblem
    * Sword of Sinew and Steel is to get rid of planeswalkers and artifacts since creatures shouldn't be a problem with Porphyry Nodes
    * Sideboard you get access to Seal of Cleansing, Eidolon of Rhetoric and Rest in Peace, cards that will all work well with Hall of Heliod's Generosity.
    * Squadron Hawk + Chrome Mox to ramp, Scroll Rack to emulate Jace/Brainstorm with Hawks
    * Sword of Truth and Justice on Sqaudron Hawks can make your airforce big quickly and the proliferate helps get your Planeswalkers and Saga up.
    * Probably needs a Humility somewhere, to ensure Porphyry Nodes hits your opponent's creatures before it hits your own if you already have a board position

That's it.

Why would you run this over UW cawblade, and why would you play cawblade in the first place and not a good deck? Don't know! But this is certainly an interesting take, not losing is the first step to winning in a format as broken as legacy :D

May 2015
    PDX

Your list lacks Chalice, cantrips/FoW/SCM, Land Tax/Parfait things, etc...
    Also you‘re running Crucible main when Karn exists to wish for it.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Your list lacks Chalice, cantrips/FoW/SCM, Land Tax/Parfait things, etc...
    Also you‘re running Crucible main when Karn exists to wish for it.
    I cut land tax for space, but if it were in the list then i'd play sword of war and peace.

Blue is lacking because it's mono white.

Chalice interferes with STP and Porphyry Nodes

Crucible can probably get cut

Deck needs more draw engine, which could be solved be scroll rack / land tax + squadron hawk

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

So these things seem good with the new 2 mana walker.

I'm going to build up an aggro loam shell for sure with these toys.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Ruination Rioter seems really dangerous. I don't know exactly how many lands Loam has floating in their graveyard late in the match, but I'd estimate more than I would want to take in damage to the face. I really red that over and over to make sure it didn't say any creature or planeswalker.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Ruination Rioter seems really dangerous. I don't know exactly how many lands Loam has floating in their graveyard late in the match, but I'd estimate more than I would want to take in damage to the face. I really red that over and over to make sure it didn't say any creature or planeswalker.
    So, for lands to take advantage of Ruination Rioter, they'd need to get to at least the midgame, Stronghold this back to their library, draw it, cast it, then sac it to Diamond Valley or something. OR, they could just Depths/Stage/win.

Aggro Loam, it's a nice finisher vs. midrangey decks that lack StP or Path or Bounce or counterspells or some way to hexproof themselves or stifle.

Honestly the hasty dragon is probably the more reliable finisher for Aggro Loam, but hey, why not run both? It's not like either card actually solves the problems Loam has in Legacy (and Modern to a lesser extent) - being a graveyard deck that takes all kinds of splash damage from Dredge hate, is slower than combo, and less interactive than Xerox.

Still, cool cards.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

I'm no dredge expert but maybe there is some sort of Dread Return Cabal Therapy end game with this guy too. Just chucking a guy for 10+ to the face on top of all the other hasty creatures might be something.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Yes, and I think that's the intended goal. But if there's a good white channeling you don't have to wait until turn 3.
    Also, also. Humans has so many other types that it's playable there too.
    Like if your board is Hierarch and champion of the parish this guy only costs 4, add in a pirate? A monk? A wizard? I dunno, but I'd try it.
    I didn't see any amazing White changeling in terms of just curving out but there is a 1/1 for with changeling that can conditionally fly, it's pretty bad.

There are a few one-drop Clerics with like 3 types, like Weathered Wayfarer and Children of Korlis which have... "an amount" of potential. Might be worth glancing at Rebels too, a lot of them have 3 creature types and even as 2-drops it's a reduction of to the card in question
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    So, for lands to take advantage of Ruination Rioter, they'd need to get to at least the midgame, Stronghold this back to their library, draw it, cast it, then sac it to Diamond Valley or something. OR, they could just Depths/Stage/win.
    The diamond valley isn't needed, you can punishing fire the dude cause he is only 2 toughness. Getting it out of the grave is difficult without Stronghold, but who knows.

I think going for ultimate with Wren and Six is better, and just chaining PuFis and loams with retrace together for a quick alternative win to marit lage. Retrace Gamble is also very powerful, especially since you can search up for the depths combo + a loam with it.

Honestly, one of the best mana dumps I've ever seen.

Thread Information