Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 35414243444546 LastLast
Results 881 to 900 of 913

Thread: Modern Horizons Spoilers

  1. #881
    Hymn-Slinger
    H's Avatar
    Join Date

    Sep 2008
    Location

    The U-easy-anna
    Posts

    2,273

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    Isn't thopter sword infinite life with urza? That should win most matchups if you can combo that.
    Well, it is kind of win more, but just Thopter-Sword always has to pass turn. So, there is the chance you could lose after passing the turn. With Urza though it is infinite mana and tokens and you can play your whole library if you want. Most importantly, can can keep "Apaturing" until you hit a Force of Will and prevent yourself from losing or having the board wiped. Plus, an arbitrarily large amount of life is a good deal better than an amount equal to your available mana.

    But I don't know that it makes the combo super-Tier 1, but it does make it minorly better.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

  2. #882
    Member
    mistercakes's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2009
    Location

    Berlin
    Posts

    1,947

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    So you tap sword + thopter to get UU, then sac the sword to make a thopter. Infinite mana, infinite aperture. Any number of ways to end the game here with infinite blue mana. Could even run something like a time walk effect.
    -rob

  3. #883

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    I was also intrigued by urza, but not for thopter sword, that should already win the game. I think urza should be playable as a standalone value card for it to see play, and i think arcum dagsson is a higher impact 4cc blue artifact matters creature that combos into a win

    I know this will never happen in legacy but im personally very intrigued by the interaction of Squadron Hawk with Chrome Mox and Force of Virtue in an aggressive token build. :)

    Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    So you tap sword + thopter to get UU, then sac the sword to make a thopter. Infinite mana, infinite aperture. Any number of ways to end the game here with infinite blue mana. Could even run something like a time walk effect.
    Nexus of fate into all the turns without decking yourself if you want to sacrifice a dead slot

  4. #884
    Hymn-Slinger
    H's Avatar
    Join Date

    Sep 2008
    Location

    The U-easy-anna
    Posts

    2,273

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    So you tap sword + thopter to get UU, then sac the sword to make a thopter. Infinite mana, infinite aperture. Any number of ways to end the game here with infinite blue mana. Could even run something like a time walk effect.
    Exactly. My thought would be a single Walk effect, because you really don't much want to draw it and can always Brainstorm that it back in case you draw it. And on the off chance it's in your 'yard, you can always just Aperture up some number of Force of Wills for when you pass the turn.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

  5. #885

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Could you run Mirrodin Beseiged? If you're casting your whole deck for free, and you have 15 artifacts, and your combo already includes an artifact sac outlet, you win on the end step. It also lets you loot for your combo in a pinch.

  6. #886

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Could you run Mirrodin Beseiged? If you're casting your whole deck for free, and you have 15 artifacts, and your combo already includes an artifact sac outlet, you win on the end step. It also lets you loot for your combo in a pinch.
    Only if you still have cards in your library, because before the win trigge, you have to draw a card and you'll deck yourself if you just slam your deck with the infinite aperture. The same is true for jace wielder of mysteries, because the + ability mills you, and you only win the game if you draw, so you would lose. I'd go for nexus or, if you have other ways to combo easily, time sieve.

  7. #887

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Only if you still have cards in your library, because before the win trigge, you have to draw a card and you'll deck yourself if you just slam your deck with the infinite aperture
    I'm pretty sure it's all one ability. You'll preform the illegal action at the same time you'll have them lose the game. A tie!
    But if that's the cast then just flip your deck minus one.

  8. #888
    Member
    mistercakes's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2009
    Location

    Berlin
    Posts

    1,947

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    i think time will tell what will be the best way to use this, but it looks like a very strong card even outside of the sword combo. i think it's the best card in the set.
    -rob

  9. #889

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    i think time will tell what will be the best way to use this, but it looks like a very strong card even outside of the sword combo. i think it's the best card in the set.
    Thats a big statement echoed by a lot of the commander and modern community. What i do think, is that value cards like winterorb will be much much better, as you can make it asymmetric.

  10. #890
    Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Cire's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2007
    Posts

    1,712

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    I know this will never happen in legacy but im personally very intrigued by the interaction of Squadron Hawk with Chrome Mox and Force of Virtue in an aggressive token build. :)
    I like this idea, but yeah you're right probably not good enough for legacy.

    A sample deadguy list though:

    4 Squadron Hawk
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Dark Confidant
    2 Cabal Therapist

    4 STP
    4 Lingering Souls
    4 Force of Virtue
    4 Chrome Mox
    3 Cabal Therapy
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Bitterblossom
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Meta and Meta
    1 Collective Brutality

    18 Lands

    Maybe throw in Leyline of the Meek?

  11. #891
    Site Contributor

    Join Date

    Sep 2009
    Location

    Vienna, AT
    Posts

    392

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Leyline of the Meek seems worse than Intangible Virtue, don't you think?

  12. #892
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    6,669

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Out of all cards, I didn't expect Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis to be the break-out one.
    Currently working on: Infinity Stompy

  13. #893

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Out of all cards, I didn't expect Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis to be the break-out one.
    It feels like Dredge only gets one toy a year. And apparently Dredge is big in Modern.

  14. #894

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by Begle1 View Post
    It feels like Dredge only gets one toy a year. And apparently Dredge is big in Modern.
    I did play Modern Dredge for a bit but it became significantly less powerful with GGT getting banned for the second time. Hogaak is decent but not amazing as dredge usually falls down from not being able to chain dredgers together and fill up the graveyard quickly and he doesn't help with that. Shenanigans might see some sideboard play though as it's useful for dealing with grafdigger's cage and has dredge but ancient grudge might still be better.

  15. #895
    Member
    mistercakes's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2009
    Location

    Berlin
    Posts

    1,947

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Who'd have thought the delve card would be a problem in eternal formats? :)
    -rob

  16. #896
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    6,669

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    I did play Modern Dredge for a bit but it became significantly less powerful with GGT getting banned for the second time. Hogaak is decent but not amazing as dredge usually falls down from not being able to chain dredgers together and fill up the graveyard quickly and he doesn't help with that.
    From what I've gathered on social media from various sources, the Hogaak deck pulls off consistent turn 3 kills and might arguably be the best Modern deck post-Horizons. We'll see how it's going to turn out once London Leylines are becoming legal, but just calling it decent is underselling it.

    It also looks like Yawgmoth has found a home in Nic Fit.
    Currently working on: Infinity Stompy

  17. #897

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by Begle1 View Post
    It feels like Dredge only gets one toy a year. And apparently Dredge is big in Modern.
    Phyrexian altar too, for modern

  18. #898
    Site Contributor
    Scott's Avatar
    Join Date

    May 2013
    Location

    Virginia
    Posts

    590

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Modern Horizons cards in the recent MTGO Legacy Challenge's top 16:

    2nd place Maverick: Sideboard- 1 Collector Ouphe
    4th place Nic Fit: 3 Yawgmoth, Thran Physician, 1 Cabal Therapist, 1 Nurturing Peatland
    5th place 4-Color Control: 2 Force of Negation, 2 Wrenn and Six
    8th place Lands: 1 Wrenn and Six. Sideboard- 2 Force of Vigor
    12th place Miracles: 4 Prismatic Vista, 2 Force of Negation. Sideboard- 1 Nature's Chant
    15th place Enchantress: 1 Hall of Heliod's Generosity. Sideboard- 1 Hall of Heliod's Generosity, 1 Plague Engineer

  19. #899
    Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Megadeus's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jul 2012
    Location

    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts

    5,486

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Not really sure why the Enchantress deck is playing man that is EPlague over actual EPlague
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

    If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

  20. #900

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Not really sure why the Enchantress deck is playing man that is EPlague over actual EPlague
    Plague Engineer only hits opposing creatures, so naming "human" (I guess) won't kill your own enchantresses.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    It's like arguing your way out of a speeding ticket by saying "it's not like I'm wearing oven mitts, officer."
    Twenty Kavus and a Dream is NOT a Legacy deck.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)