Page 20 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Horizons Spoilers

Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    It takes four spells to break even (1+2+3+4=10), and another three to get to 18 (assuming some self damage) after that. So you're talking about holding on until there's three mana and then casting 5-7 spells to profit off this.

Planeswalkers tend to work better as grindy win cons these days, and storm is a better way to combo.
    Play it in storm right next to pyromancer ascension

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    little late to the party, but this goblin is not a worse gempalm.

depending on your build its better actually.

-its base damage is 1 on an empty board (gempalm 0)
    -it can be played with vial (huge plus actually)
    -it can be played with cavern mana (although since it needs 2 different colors, its pretty neutral)
    -brings a body into play straight away

I like it a lot

on top, with matron being reprinted, all we need now is ringleader (and mayybe lackey) Winstigator build is probably good enough.

the moment vial gobs becomes a thing in modern im completly gone :D
    Well, indeed, my initial reaction was likely a bit off, but I don't think it is "all upside" vs Incinerator, although the interaction with Vial is certainly a plus.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Regrowth reprinted for Modern and the White pitch card is:

And maybe a friend for Goblin Welder in Imperial Painter?

[IMG]...[/IMG]
    Seems pretty interesting as a toolbox thing. Ichor Wellspring for draw, KCI or Thopter Foundry/Sword of the Meek combos. It's a strong tutor.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    It takes four spells to break even (1+2+3+4=10), and another three to get to 18 (assuming some self damage) after that. So you're talking about holding on until there's three mana and then casting 5-7 spells to profit off this.

Planeswalkers tend to work better as grindy win cons these days, and storm is a better way to combo.
    You're really overcomplicating this: turn 2 Kavu Predator. Turn 3 Dark Rit -> play Fire Breath -> trigger on the stack: cast False Cure (trigger deal 1) -> opponent gains 10 (stack your 11 triggers) -> opponent loses 20 -> attack with 12/12 trample.

The normal usage of this card = worse than Risk Factor.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Guys c'mon now, Fire Breath is totally meant to be played with Kavu Predator and False Cure.

I'm a huge fan of Kavu Predator from back in the day, playing fun cards like Fiery Justice, Swords to Plowshares, and Grove/Fires.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Matsu View Post

New burn spell

Fire Breath
    2R
    Enchantment
    When it enters the battlefield, each opponent gains 10 life.

Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, put a verse counter on it, then it deals damage equal to the number of verse counters on it to target player or planeswalker.

can you abuse this in legacy?
    False Cure. Isn’t there a red one now that works better?

Aww crap. Ninja’d
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I don't think it was lazy, I think it was focused. This seems to me a deliberate attempt to make BW tokens a viable deck again. That deck plays anywhere from 6-8 anthem effects, and one of the issues is whether to play token generators early or get anthems down to avoid low-level wipers like Anger of the Gods. This doesn't completely solve that with only a +1/+1 bonus, but it can be done alongside token generators in the same turn cycle. It's also a way for Martyr of Sands decks to close out games with the same upside.
    Based on my experience playing against D&T. It is not a deck that holds a huge amount of cards, to exile one of them to boost your team. A Flicker Wisp with vial is like 3 creatures and you want to hold your StP or PtE for the Big guy. If this will be "discard", not "exile" and give an extra ability to your team it will be great trap or finisher. It will definitely give a boost to the token deck which replay most of his spells or a great tool to close the game faster with D&T.
    Any of the 4 mana Sorin is better then this. I think this is bulk level at the moment.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
    Based on my experience playing against D&T. It is not a deck that holds a huge amount of cards, to exile one of them to boost your team. A Flicker Wisp with vial is like 3 creatures and you want to hold your StP or PtE for the Big guy. If this will be "discard", not "exile" and give an extra ability to your team it will be great trap or finisher. It will definitely give a boost to the token deck which replay most of his spells or a great tool to close the game faster with D&T.
    Any of the 4 mana Sorin is better then this. I think this is bulk level at the moment.
    Sorry I was unclear, I was talking Modern not Legacy.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Modern tokens deck LOVE that white force. A lot of the early one-drop token generators, like say.. Legion's Landing, are crap if you draw 2 of them early. Now that second one basically acts like a Dark Ritual letting you turn it into 3 mana. Same thing with say, a Path to Exile vs. a creatureless deck, or whatever.

This is by far the best pitch cycle we've ever seen. And it's not even close.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Fire Breath could in theory also work with Sulfuric Vortex just fine, but since it also cost 3 its just waaayyy too slow for burn.
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

There's already Leyline of Punnishment, which both allows you to kill TNN and lets you play this with all upside.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Avultar G
    Sorcery - Uncommon
    Until end of turn, target creature you control becomes a Wurm with base power and toughness 6/4.
    Overload 4GG

Hey Infect...
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

yeah too bad it’s a sorcery yet you kill with an Invigorate after that

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Modern tokens deck LOVE that white force. A lot of the early one-drop token generators, like say.. Legion's Landing, are crap if you draw 2 of them early. Now that second one basically acts like a Dark Ritual letting you turn it into 3 mana. Same thing with say, a Path to Exile vs. a creatureless deck, or whatever.

This is by far the best pitch cycle we've ever seen. And it's not even close.
    Force of Will
    Bounty of the hunt
    Pyrokinesis
    Contagion

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

I like Force of Virtue. Pumps your team and protects you sort of from common sweeper effects based on toughness. Since it sticks around, this can lead to very aggressive starts. Pitching excess legends (or bouncing one with Karakas for combat tricks) is a thing to consider.

Mar 2013

"You and what Army?"

"Oh fuck."
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Goblin Engineer as a tutor for Bolas' Citadel? I'm picturing a Goblin Engineer/Welder deck tutoring for and getting important artifacts into play that also runs Carverns on Goblins to protect the combo . . .

Mar 2013

Suggested ways to abuse, Venser and Kaya.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

"You and what Army?"

"Oh fuck."
    Oh man! And it's an old school sliver! Not whatever was in M10 !

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Oh man! And it's an old school sliver! Not whatever was in M10 !
    Not quite, it still only effects your Silvers.

Thread Information