Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Horizons Spoilers

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Grindstone pls. Although besides the combo I can't think off the top of my head off there's any other really great synergies with everything being a specific color
    I really don't buy Grindstone entering Modern. It's a fairly "easy" turn 3 win, which is susceptible to common hate, but I hardly imagine that is really much of an argument for it. I think the "biggest" strike on it, in my opinion, is that if one is not abusing it via Painter, the card is almost useless in competitive Magic.

Even taking this list at it's own word, likely Grindstone is a new Judge or MTGO promo.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Grindstone pls. Although besides the combo I can't think off the top of my head off there's any other really great synergies with everything being a specific color
    Eight and a half tails and Taysa Orzhov Scion. Already combo with Swirl the Mists.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Fireblast also sounds risky in a format full of shocklands. That might push Burn over the top.

Besides, most cards on that list are garbage.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

No Didgeridoo spoiler, Modern remains a worthless format
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    No Didgeridoo spoiler, Modern remains a worthless format
    Damn you Reserve List!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

That list is fake. I mean we all know it, but there is a obvious tell. The Urza lands are already legal in Modern, removing them as a contender for the set.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

I'm pretty sure that Dust Bowl will be in this set (you heard it first here).

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

the list says it may come from commander products as well, so it's very possible the list is legit.
    -rob

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

The list may be legit, but it doesn't really tell us a whole lot. Any of these cards could be in a non horizons product. Also none of them are really changing the format besides maybe fireblast and I don't think that's realistic to expect fireblast
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Fake... gush shouldnt be allowed in modern and they’d never reprint stasis. They (wizards) has mentioned on numerous occasions over the years they they have moved away from land destruction / stasis like strategies.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

There are too many cards on this list I doubt they’d print.

I’m stoked for counterspell. I think FOF will be in it too, but won’t be played.

Astral slide is another strong possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    Fake... gush shouldnt be allowed in modern and they’d never reprint stasis. They (wizards) has mentioned on numerous occasions over the years they they have moved away from land destruction / stasis like strategies.
    In Standard they have. In supplemental products they've bent things a bit more. Though honestly, I don't think Stasis would even be good in Modern; the card seems way too slow. Wasn't the main reason Stasis was any good to begin with the fact it happened to be good against Necropotence, which was the deck to beat at the time?

That said, I'd still be pretty surprised if they brought back the card, as it's not something people would particularly like. Even the people who'd want to play a lockout strategy like that can already play something like Whir Prison.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I think Fact or Fiction would be incredible for Modern, honestly. Right now the jeskai control decks are playing Hieroglyphic Illumination for Christ's sake. In a format with Gifts Ungiven legal I think FoF is just fine power-level-wise. Gush in a world where Izzet Phoenix is arguably the best deck? Fuck no. People have been speculating on Force of Will, Counterspell, Wasteland. Just like Gush, these cards just don't belong in Modern.

I do think they could print a similar card to Force of Will, like Force of Mana Leak: remove a blue card as alternative cost, spell is countered unless X is paid where X is the removed card's cmc. Sometimes people forget that we are not just getting cards into the format pre-8th Edition, we are also getting totally new cards.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Force of Mana Leak: remove a blue card as alternative cost, spell is countered unless X is paid where X is the removed card's cmc.
    I'm on board. It's not going to be a value engine card (not that force ever was), but combo decks tend to be tight when they go off, since they try and go off as soon as possible, so that would slow be great from both a legacy (budget alternatives) and a modern perspective.

That said we all know it would be dumped in the mythic slot, because playable or good uncommons aren't a thing anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Backseat_Critic View Post
    Astral slide is another strong possibility.
    Astral slide would be totally safe. Any other "engine" cards that could be safely added to Modern? Even if they don't immediately break open a viable decktype, engine cards / sets of cards are always good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bithlord View Post
    I'm on board. It's not going to be a value engine card (not that force ever was), but combo decks tend to be tight when they go off, since they try and go off as soon as possible, so that would slow be great from both a legacy (budget alternatives) and a modern perspective.

That said we all know it would be dumped in the mythic slot, because playable or good uncommons aren't a thing anymore.

Astral slide would be totally safe. Any other "engine" cards that could be safely added to Modern? Even if they don't immediately break open a viable decktype, engine cards / sets of cards are always good.
    Oversold Cemetery or some variant of it is about as safe as humanly possible. I'd love to see Contested Cliffs, or even better, a variant that works with Dinosaurs.

Gimme carrion feeder or goblin bombardment is what I say!

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Promos got leaked:

Flusterstorm gets a reprint with new art.

The other card is an upgraded Astral Slide:

Astral Drift 2W
    Enchantment
    Whenever you cycle Astral Drift or cycle another card while Astral Drift is on the battlefield, you may exile target creature. Return that creature to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.
    Cycling 2W

HOLY SHIT! Morgan Coke, message me so we can start brewing a trash pile for modern!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    It's like arguing your way out of a speeding ticket by saying "it's not like I'm wearing oven mitts, officer."
    Twenty Kavus and a Dream is NOT a Legacy deck.

Flusterstorm is cool. Not earth-shattering, but cool.

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    All signs point to wotc wanting to merge eternal formats. This will be a net negative for legacy, as modern will creep into and appropriate its identity every modern horizons set they release. 200 reprints per set will only take 3 years before every non-reserved list card with tournament viability becomes modern legal. This means, we keep mostly LED, City of Traitors, Cradle, Metalworker and the original duals. We have seen the unsustainable reprint practices from the masterpieces and modern masters sets. Thismwill take it a step further and will be milked out hard

Wotc will consolidate the fragmented player base and support modern that can be reprinted to demand and thus makes a lot more commercial sense. Given the choice, they will support a format that is not constrained by reserved list for the sole reason of wanting full control over their game.

Legacy players will be thrown a bone to keep them content and unaware of the bigger picture, until it's too late and the identity of legacy has largely vanished.

If you're buying Modern Horizons, you are supporting the slow demise of legacy.
    If what you are saying comes to pass that would be a great thing.

Just about all of our legacy decks would be playable in the format you are describing. Basically, the ban list in this new format would be reserved list, and everything else would be unbanned.

I would gladly give up LED, City of Traitors, Cradle, Metalworker for a 10x fold increase in legacy’s playerbase. Those handful of cards could be relegated to Vintage and commander. Losing them would barely effect many legacy decks. Many MUD lists are cutting Metalworker already. Many ramp decks are cutting City of Traitors and a card like Sandstone Needle or Crystal Vein could take its place. Elves could survive the loss of Cradle and Legacy would probably be better off without LED. As long as they bring every popular nonreserve list card like Dark Ritual and Hymn/Sinkhole/Pox over to Modern, I would happily make the swap.

And being reserved list cards, the cards not brought into modern will still maintain value. Reserve list cards is why Legacy is destined to suffer the same fate as vintage. Its a format without a long term future.

What you are describing is actually the one true way to save legacy. It would be a modern format that would have almost all of our pet legacy decks as viable options with a few minor changes (shocklands instead of duals).

All the decks we know and love would in fact become modern legal. Its a pain having to maintain a bunch of legacy decks that not that many people locally play and modern decks that are not as fun but needed since thats what almost everyone plays these days.

Thread Information