Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rorschach Test

Sep 2011

Rorschach Test

Half Analyst, Half Therapist

This deck requires the top Jedi Mind Tricks of the Cabal to outwit your opponent.

//Creatures: 27
    4 Cabal Therapist
    4 Doomed Traveler
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Skirsdag High Priest
    2 Vryn Wingmare

//Spells: 8
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Cabal Therapy
    1 Lingering Souls

//Enchantments: 2
    2 Bitterblossom

//Artifacts: 2
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull

//Lands: 21
    3 Cavern of Souls
    4 Wasteland
    4 Scrubland
    4 Marsh Flats
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Karakas
    1 Plains
    2 Swamp

Post-board you can attack their gameplan with Surgical precision

Synergies:
    -Cabal Therapy + token fodder
    -Stoneblade + flying
    -Dark Confidant + low curve
    -Skirsdag High Priest + many bodies + sac outlets
    -Wasteland + taxing

Suggestions?

Re: AnalRapist

Maybe change the name?

Jun 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by JackaBo View Post
    Maybe change the name?
    +1000

Also, why are we building a modern deck in legacy? :p Seems to me a lot of good cards in both colors are missing.

Quote Originally Posted by JackaBo View Post
    Maybe change the name?

FTW, I for one appreciate your efforts in attempting a nu start in legacy deck building.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    It's like arguing your way out of a speeding ticket by saying "it's not like I'm wearing oven mitts, officer."
    Twenty Kavus and a Dream is NOT a Legacy deck.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by kirkusjones View Post
    FTW, I for one appreciate your efforts in attempting a nu start in legacy deck building.
    I'm glad someone got the reference! I spent a month in the Method One acting clinic coming up with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    I'm glad someone got the reference! I spent a month in the Method One acting clinic coming up with that one.
    http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewto...p?f=16&t=19066
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    It's like arguing your way out of a speeding ticket by saying "it's not like I'm wearing oven mitts, officer."
    Twenty Kavus and a Dream is NOT a Legacy deck.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by LarsLeif View Post
    Also, why are we building a modern deck in legacy? :p Seems to me a lot of good cards in both colors are missing.
    Modern??

Karakas
    Mother of Runes
    Swords to Plowshares
    Stoneforge Mystic
    Cabal Therapy
    Wasteland
    Scrubland...

I assume you just stopped at Doomed Traveler? I don't love that card, but what other BW 1-drop would you use as sacrifice fodder? Veteran Explorer doesn't fit here. Champion of the Parish isn't fodder. Are there certain Deadguy Ale creatures or hatebears you think belong more?

SB would probably include: 1 Sword (probably Light and Shadow), 1-2 Palace Jailer, grave hate, Sanctum Prelate, disenchant effect, other hatebears, maybe more discard

Vryn Wingmare is slow but plays into the taxing/mana denial plan, trades with Delver, and also flies with Jitte/Swords (SB). Maybe Sanctum Prelate is just better MD (Human too!), though it doesn't fly.

Capitalizing the R makes it less a reference and more you being an ass.
    Also the the only connection your deck has to the name is the card cabal therapy. So change the name.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Yeah unfortunately you'd need to run like Deep Analysis for the name to work.
    Maybe retool it, then you can come back with A New Start and we can review
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Capitalizing the R makes it less a reference and more you being an ass.
    Also the the only connection your deck has to the name is the card cabal therapy. So change the name.
    Not really?

Also, there's the new card Cabal Therapist.

Quit being so easily offended.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by TLK View Post
    Not really?

You don't have to be offended to realize that this is an unaparelled exhibition in poor taste and/or judgement in this forum (not considering BerndKastell's rage posts) and that it easily could offend many people. Otherwise it's an interesting deck, I just assumed the title would be changed within minutes when I first saw it..

Edit: maybe the critizism was a bit harsh, sorry about that and the reference to Arrested Development was nice, but still think it was merited.
    Last edited by pettdan; 03-02-2019 at 07:10 PM.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Quote Originally Posted by pettdan View Post
    You don't have to be offended to realize that this is an unaparelled exhibition in poor taste and/or judgement in this forum (not considering BerndKastell's rage posts) and that it easily could offend many people. Otherwise it's an interesting deck, I just assumed the title would be changed within minutes when I first saw it..
    Fair enough. For the record I do not condone using the term in his thread title in a flippant manner, but OP states it's a reference, however inappropriate it might be.

Quote Originally Posted by TLK View Post
    Not really?

Yes really, the whole premise of the original joke is that he made a portmanteau, which don't have their middles capitalized, because they're one singular word. And the key element of the joke was that Tobias didn't get it. By capitalizing the R you're letting us know you do know why you shouldn't combine those words like that.

I hadn't seen the new card and thought it was therapy. Oops, but then a better port of the joke would be "Cabalrapist", because it doesn't take a genius to note that when you highlight that they're too separate words you lose the effect of not understanding that people would pronounce it different.

Tell better jokes, and my take away will be "that was funny" and not "that was stupid". I even fixed it for everyone in the previous point. If you want to make a decade-old reference, you're going to have to put in the effort.

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

I get the joke, but a lot of people won't, and some will (reasonably) be offended. It would be nice if the discussion could be focused on developing the deck and not the merits of the name. Change it please. Thanks.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Re: Placeholder name

PM me when you know what you want to call it.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Yes really, the whole premise of the original joke is that he made a portmanteau, which don't have their middles capitalized, because they're one singular word. And the key element of the joke was that Tobias didn't get it. By capitalizing the R you're letting us know you do know why you shouldn't combine those words like that.

I hadn't seen the new card and thought it was therapy. Oops, but then a better port of the joke would be "Cabalrapist", because it doesn't take a genius to note that when you highlight that they're too separate words you lose the effect of not understanding that people would pronounce it different.

Tell better jokes, and my take away will be "that was funny" and not "that was stupid". I even fixed it for everyone in the previous point. If you want to make a decade-old reference, you're going to have to put in the effort.
    I get your point.

Still.. at what point does the amount of snark coming from comments like this become more offensive than the original issue? Could you have not communicated that more politely?

FYI - I PM'd the mod with 2 alternate suggestions for the title

Does anyone have comments about the decklist, or about my reply to the only comment about the decklist?

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Does anyone have comments about the decklist, or about my reply to the only comment about the decklist?
    Quick notes would be:
    - Doomed traveller is bad. I say this as someone who has actually registered copies of Doomed Traveler in lists before. I may have no shame, but I also have no Doomed Travellers in my lists anymore haha

- you have no topend (such as maybe Elspeth, more copies of Lingering souls, Lily, or similar) -> I get that it's because of Thalia; but I'd figure out something to do to mesh that better. You *do* have blossoms which I'm a big fan of, but I'd push the number to 3 myself. You never really want two on the field, but they're a prized target for Force and similar.

- This probably sounds funny, but you lack interaction. DGA typically runs a 3/3/3 split of Thoughtseize, Sculler, preferred discard #3, AND runs Lily on top of it. That is how much it takes to interact with combo reliably enough

EDIT didn't mean for that line to make it passed editing!

IMO:
    * post in the DGA thread
    * Therapist should be 3-of max, probably a 2-of. He's bad in multiples as he doesn't do anything special
    * Add a blossom
    * Trim a Mom
    * 4th SFM + SoFaI IMO
    * I don't think SHPriest will work out for you unless you're already winning

Lastly, the list is (IMO) overly weak to Lily-Hope and sweepers. I'd find a way to get more x/2s in there. Therapist probably doesn't work well with Mom (and they, in some sense, perform the same role.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by tescrin View Post
    Quick notes would be:
    - Doomed traveller is bad. I say this as someone who has actually registered copies of Doomed Traveler in lists before. I may have no shame, but I also have no Doomed Travellers in my lists anymore haha
    I got the idea of Doomed Traveler from this BW Humans Aristocrats list from Sam Black years ago:
    http://www.starcitygames.com/events/...ith_sam_b.html

I couldn't think of any other suitable 1cc fodder, and slower fodder is even worse with Therapy.dec. What else would you play to fuel it? Just more Blossoms?

I'd rather have some 1cc options too. If you play T1 Therapist T2 Blossom you have no interaction with the opponent until turn 3! Or if you play something interactive, you can't use Therapist until turn 4 (seems bad). With 1cc fodder you have room to cast a 1cc interactive spell in your first 2 turns and still set up turn 3 Therapist trigger. 1cc fodder also synergizes well with turn 2 flashback Therapy (with Bitterblossom you can't flashback until turn 3). What else is remotely playable at 1 mana? Legion's Landing? Thraben Inspector? I'd gladly replace Doomed Traveler if there was anything else to fill that role.

you have no topend (such as maybe Elspeth, more copies of Lingering souls, Lily, or similar) -> I get that it's because of Thalia
    Skirsdag High Priest makes Tombstalkers. You can protect it with Mom + discard + mana denial, enable it with tokens and 1 drops, and trigger morbid with Cabal Therapy.dec.

Like other Stoneblade weenie decks, the other top end is flyer + equipment. I originally had Sword of Light and Shadow main. It's probably needed main to have enough attack power.

This probably sounds funny, but you lack interaction. DGA typically runs a 3/3/3 split of Thoughtseize, Sculler, preferred discard #3, AND runs Lily on top of it. That is how much it takes to interact with combo reliably enough
    Yeah, maybe I should go up to 3 Thoughtseize + 3 Therapy main and cut Cabal Therapist to 3 copies. I don't want fewer than 3 since the whole point was to try to make Cabal Therapy.dec viable.

Therapist should be 3-of max, probably a 2-of. He's bad in multiples as he doesn't do anything special
    He has Menace to wield equipment. Worst case he pitches himself to Therapy so he's never dead in multiples. Best case both trigger and you can double Therapy in a turn, then tapping them to Skirsdag High Priest to make a 5/5 or attacking with Menace+Jitte/Sword.

I usually go with SoFaI, but I like Sword of Light and Shadow here for lifegain (offset the lifeloss) and to recycle creatures (creature-heavy deck with sac outlets).

bruizar

pitiless pontiff gives you some ways to bring down bigger creatures.

Hidden stockpile feeds cabal therapist too, also combos with pontiff

The new Serra walker actually looks decent here as the worship is easy to sustain & the +2 is strong here.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    pitiless pontiff gives you some ways to bring down bigger creatures.

Hidden stockpile feeds cabal therapist too

The new Serra walk actually looks decent here as the worship is easy to sustain & the +2 is strong here.
    All 3 suggestions look great. Thanks! Tinkering with slots now...

Thread Information