Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rorschach Test

Re: Placeholder name

Hallowed Spiritkeeper is a good sac fodder that also provides more sac fodder. Also a wincon once your graveyard fills up.

Sep 2011

Updated decklist

//Creatures: 25
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Thraben Inspector
    3 Cabal Therapist
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Skirsdag High Priest

//Spells: 10
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Thoughtseize
    3 Cabal Therapy

//Enchantments: 3
    2 Bitterblossom
    1 Hidden Stockpile

//Artifacts: 3
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    1 Batterskull

//Lands: 20
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Wasteland
    4 Scrubland
    4 Marsh Flats
    1 Karakas
    1 Plains
    2 Swamp

//Sideboard: 15
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Pitiless Pontiff
    2 Mirran Crusader
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Sanctum Prelate
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Palace Jailer
    1 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben

I need to test Thraben Inspector. Hoping it's a better value 1-drop than Doomed Traveler.

Cut the slower 3 drops and 1 land for game 1, in favor of more early game interaction.

Added maindeck Thoughtseize. It should improve matchups and also lead to smarter Therapies.

Added maindeck Sword to have better finishing power.

Out of the SB, Mirran Crusader also gives major ground beatdown. Pitiless Pontiff trades with fatties. I don't like either maindeck because they're only relevant turn 3, which can be too slow for some matches, but they can come in for the grindier matches.

Added Hidden Stockpile as a joint token engine / instant sac outlet / way to dig into gas. I prefer this over the 3rd Bitterblossom, as Bitterblossom is bad in multiples.

Added typical white hatebears to SB.

Other considerations:
    Brightling (finisher but nonevasive and manahungry), Recruiter of the Guard (tutor but weak body and seems slow without Vial), Serra Angel-Planeswalker Edition.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Inspecter does seem better. Survives Hope activations, gives you your 1-drops-duders, gives you a (nearly deterministic no less) card to boot. I'd call that an upgrade. I'd still consider dropping him to 3 copies and Mom to 3 copies. Basically, if seeing 3-of-a-kind loses you the game I usually feel that way. If 2-of-a-kind is really bad, I tend to go to 1-2 copies; depending on cost; etc. (That gives you some context for my opinions if that helps you divide cruft from reasonable points.)

The other major thing to point out is you currently have 21 1-drops. That's delver-levels of 1-drops; this is another good reason to shave some cards here and there for top-end; if nothing else but to survive chalice decks. You may (and I know people give it shit but) you may consider some Collective Brutalities here. IMO, they have great synergy with Therapy (pitch therapy to Brutality), provide good tempo against Burn/Elves/storm/Delver, and are always relevant (at the cost of being mana efficient at times.)

Maybe chop a TS and/or a Therapy for Brutalities. Then I'd consider moving an inspector and maybe a Mom to a good three drop. Mirran Crusader is always a reasonable bet for just being an absolute house against a whole variety of opponents. For every time he's bolted I bet he also swings through a Strix/Angler for the game. He also beats BSK in a fight without giving up any life. This would help fill the "beater" role*

I still think third blossom is better than Stockpile, but Stockpile + blossom is definitely better than 2 blossoms on the field; so it's a reasonable compromise. Do note that one of the nicest things about Blossom is the flying; making Blossom pretty much counter Turbo-depths by itself (and sometimes reanimator.) I think you'll come around once you run stockpile though.

*Some people don't care about having beaters if they have lots of dudes; but I'd point out that all the little-dude decks have beaters. It's nice to be able to go wide against walkers, Lage, etc, but it's also definitely nice to be able to just say "this kills you in two turns. Do you have it?"

I know you got Priests; I just have a feeling though. If it works out I'd love to drop 5/5 tokens on people. He's probably a bit expensive, but I do enjoy me some Order of Whiteclay in a casual WB deck with Skirsdag. Rotlung Reanimator or his human-counterpart could turn out reasonable as well.

EDIT: you definitely run 1-2 Zealous Persecution and 1-2 Orzhov Pontiff. Pontiff can be a little slow, so a 1/1 split may be useful. VERY helpful for Elves, D&T, TNN decks, and Pyro
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Sep 2011

Good points.

I should be able to do
    -1 Thraben Inspector
    -1 1 drop (Mom or StP)
    +2 Mirran Crusader (maindeck)

Then replace the 2 Crusaders in the board with 1 Zealous Persecution and 1 Orzhov Pontiff. Pontiff has great synergy with the sacrifice engines and is a Human to boot.

I'm reluctant to drop the 4th Mother. Mother of Ruins protection is what makes the creature-based card advantage engines (Bob, Skirsdag, Cabal Therapist, Stoneblade) viable. Therapist and Skirsdag get a lot worse when they can just "die to removal". With turn 1 Mother or turn 1 discard, it's a lot more plausible to dodge removal and get some value.

What other beater would you suggest? Tombstalker and Gurmag Angler are bad with Dark Confidant. Brightling is good in D&T, but they have Vials to free up mana for abilities, while this deck is more constrained on mana.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    I'm reluctant to drop the 4th Mother. Mother of Ruins protection is what makes the creature-based card advantage engines (Bob, Skirsdag, Cabal Therapist, Stoneblade) viable. Therapist and Skirsdag get a lot worse when they can just "die to removal". With turn 1 Mother or turn 1 discard, it's a lot more plausible to dodge removal and get some value.

What other beater would you suggest?
    Note that you did already have one beater, BSK. So Mirrans may be enough already.

Jank talks
    _________
    Other options include Shriekmaw and Hero of Bladehold if Wilson (in the DGA thread) is to be believed (and I'd believe him?) Hero's interesting trait is, on an empty board, she's a 2-turn clock (dealing 18.) Personally, i never had the balls for running Hero. I feel like if I wanted to do that I'd run a Lightning Greaves.

Side note while I'm mentioning jank; Lightning Greaves can somewhat count as Mom 4 or something. They're pretty neat with SFM late game (cast sfm, attach greaves, drop BSK, attach greaves, swing with BSK) but aside from that they can force something like Miracles to constantly need to 'have it' and can sit on bob while you need cards or some such. Never had the balls to try 'em either honestly but I can just drool at the idea of dropping Hero next to a greaves and instantly swinging for 7.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Re: Rorschach Test

I think this should be an Aether vial deck.

Also how about the new half Thalia half doomed traveler guy?

May 2015
    PDX

Re: Rorschach Test

The first thing that came to mind was worse Grixis "Control" without cantrips; it's a Rorschach after all.

I think you just play this Cabal Therapist in a Zombardment shell and call it a day though.

Thread Information