Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hate fetchlands! What are the most effective hate for fetchlands in every color?

I hate fetchlands! What are the most effective hate for fetchlands in every color?

I find fetchlands a chore to play against. Opponents take too long shuffling their decks and making decision about what to shuffle away with Brainstorm and when. Half the game time is wasted on this rather than on actually interacting. I want to punish fetchlands at my LGS to an extent that people will opt to play fetchless decks against me. So what are my best playable and reliable options in each color?

This is what I could come up with so far...

Blue:
    Stifle
    Trickbind

Black:
    Shadow of Doubt

Green:
    Repudiate
    Root Maze

Red:
    Blood Moon
    Magus of the Moon
    Blood Sun

White:
    Leonin Arbiter
    Aven Mindcensor

Colorless:
    Ankh of Mishra
    Sorcerous Spyglass

As far as reliable playable hate, is that all there is, or are there any cards I'm forgetting about?

Re: I hate fetchlands! What are the most effective hate for fetchlands in every color

Pithing needle
    Sorceress spyglass

Re: I hate fetchlands! What are the most effective hate for fetchlands in every color

Quote Originally Posted by JackaBo View Post
    Pithing needle
    Sorceress spyglass
    Pithing Needle is not reliable unless you pair it with Thoughtseize/Duress to peek at your opponents hand before casting it.

Sorceress Spyglass is a great option, I'll add it to the list.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Suppression Field. So often the first two turns take 5 minutes, just shuffling and cantripping, I sometimes get frustrated by this too, especially when playing a nonblue deck. I guess reminding yourself and the opponent to play faster is the solution, but then when they still shuffle your deck for 20 seconds after each shuffle what can you do. Play fast decks in important tournaments I guess.. Something with an I win button. Or Suppression Field.

I try to count loudly when I shuffle my deck to remind the opponent of how quick a shuffle can be, that's one approach.

Quote Originally Posted by pettdan View Post
    I try to count loudly when I shuffle my deck to remind the opponent of how quick a shuffle can be, that's one approach.
    Do you actually do this? This sounds more unbearable than all the fetching I've experienced in competitive magic, combined.

Relax a second guys, it's just mana fixing.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by taconaut View Post
    Do you actually do this? This sounds more unbearable than all the fetching I've experienced in competitive magic, combined.

Relax a second guys, it's just mana fixing.
    Yes, I often do this, it's actually to indicate how many times I shuffle too, there are rules for how little you can shuffle and in addition to what I mentioned above I want to make sure both me and the opponent are aware that I'm following that rule. It's usually rather quick so it would often be relevant to ask if I shuffled enough. It's relaxed, don't worry. I'm less relaxed when my opponent takes 30 seconds to shuffle though, that's the issue. I tend to play slow control decks, and the stress at the end of a round is real. So I try to do what I can early in the match to avoid getting to that situation. It's quite nice to play aggressive decks every now and then, don't need to consider time as much.

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Kant View Post
    I find fetchlands a chore to play against. Opponents take too long shuffling their decks and making decision about what to shuffle away with Brainstorm and when. Half the game time is wasted on this rather than on actually interacting. I want to punish fetchlands at my LGS to an extent that people will opt to play fetchless decks against me. So what are my best playable and reliable options in each color?

This is what I could come up with so far...

Blue:
    Stifle
    Trickbind

Black:
    Shadow of Doubt

Green:
    Repudiate
    Root Maze

Red:
    Blood Moon
    Magus of the Moon
    Blood Sun

White:
    Leonin Arbiter
    Aven Mindcensor

Colorless:
    Ankh of Mishra
    Sorcerous Spyglass

As far as reliable playable hate, is that all there is, or are there any cards I'm forgetting about?
    Sundial of the infinite.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Just play Belcher. Then you won't care if they fetch.
    -rob

In green there is bind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

My favorite:

Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

You definitely run Root Maze, Suppression Field, Mox Diamond, Life from the Loam, and possibly Winter Orb if you play out some cheap threats, then have idiot-cards like SpawnWrithe beat your opponent into the ground so they pick up the card and just look at you with... such disdain.

At least that's the dream.

_________
    Anyway, Nimble Obstructionist, Bind, Squelch, Interdict, (note that every single one of these ones are also card advantage)

Cosi's Trickster, Psychogenic Probe, Psychic Surgery

That's probably also (roughly) in order of playability as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

If you play something like thalia or root maze, tsabo’s web comes in handy.

Stranglehold is also good.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

May 2015
    PDX

Bind and Squelch and Interdict. Honorable mentions to Cosi's Trickster, Psychogenic Probe and Ob Nixilis, Unshackled. Just saw @tescrin got most of these, nicely done.

The most promising, of course, would be Brutal Suppression....alas there is no easy way to turn all lands into rebel scum.

Aug 2010
    Seattle, WA

Harsh mentor

Also exists in red. and that tunnel ignus

Neither are very good

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasDowd View Post
    Harsh mentor

Also exists in red. and that tunnel ignus

Neither are very good
    Tunnel Ignus sounds more like a Parallax Tide card

bruizar

There is an Ostracize for nonbasic lands

Suppression Field

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    4 mana for that effect is just aweful. By the time it comes online, your opponents already fetched 3-4 times.

Would have been great at 1cc, playable at 2cc but anything beyond that and that effect isnt worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    There is an Ostracize for nonbasic lands

Suppression Field
    Encroach

Thread Information