4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Watery Grave
    3 Breeding Pool
    2 Overgrown Tomb
    3 Island
    3 Forest
    2 Swamp

Was working on UG Green Tide with Dictate instead of Heartbeat, then tried to force it to be Solidarity, and then my friend suggested I steal from the BUG Mystical Teachings/Wilderness deck. So what we end up with is a Mystical toolbox/control shell that ramps up to an EOT Dictate and then combos into a lethal USZ. Being entirely instant speed means that 1) everything can be found by Teachings and 2) you can combo off at any time.

Reality Spasm is better in almost every way than Early Harvest. Early Harvest is better mana, but Spasm is even at 2 lands and net gain after that. And it can be used defensively if you need to tap down your opponent's lands before going off, or stall a board of attackers. It can also untap your nonbasics and even your Snapcasters in case there's ever a niche case where that's relevant.

Re: Modern Solidarity

Wow. This is pretty interesting. Have u tested this? I imagine it’d fold to most sorts of hate-bear type lists though.

Unfortunately, I’m only a legacy solidarity player, so I can’t really say much about it. It’d be interesting to see it work though. It’s a shame so many of the good cards in solidarity aren’t modern legal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

I'm probably a bad combo player, but i've a hard time seeing How does this deck combo and when.
    Can you please elaborate a bit?
    Last edited by Tylert; 03-05-2019 at 04:41 AM.

No problem.

The plan is to play an extended value grind game of draw-go. Once you've chained a few Teachings for specific answers or combo pieces, drawn a few extra cards, and ramped a bit, you flash in Dictate, and then use Spasms to repeatedly untap all of your lands and net mana. Then use your draw spells or USZ yourself, and continue chaining Spasms to make as much mana as possible. Around 40+ mana you can USZ your opponent for lethal.

Depending on the situation, you can perform the entire combo at once, at any point in the game (such as in response to an opponent's spell or at the end of their turn), or partially combo EOT and then untap to go off fully; or even save a bricked combo turn with Nexus.

At what point can you combo off, by the way? Turns 4 and onwards?

Also, is having only 2 dictates the right way to go? Seems like tapping for 2-3 doesn’t feel like you’re going to make it sometimes..

Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Turn 4 seems way too early.
    You can only cast dictate on turn 4 and you'll have 2 untapped lands max (Growth spiral on turn 2 + another ramp spell on turn 3).
    It seems hard to have the perfect hand / draw after that...

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Turn 4 seems way too early.
    You can only cast dictate on turn 4 and you'll have 2 untapped lands max (Growth spiral on turn 2 + another ramp spell on turn 3).
    It seems hard to have the perfect hand / draw after that...
    I thought modern was a turn 4-5 format? doesn't that basically mean you're a done duck by that point?
    Some useful cards you might wanna consider is unwind and possibly rewind and unsubstantiate. also evacuation.

unwind - countering stuff, untapping is good. its a 3-mana counter, but it's not like you're going to be forced to 'waste' mana anyways.
    unsubstantiate - Countering uncounterable stuff is good. bouncing a thing is possibly as good if not better. same slot as remand, but remand isn't nearly as flexible, and unsubstantiate deals with uncounterable stuff. the cantripping i've found to usually be marginally good. Also, is there a reason why you run remand but not a storm-combo kill-spell? You've not felt power till you've empty the warrens for 14 goblins, unsubstantiate/remand the original spell, and recast it for another 18 on top for good measure. Also allows you to combo off over the top of an opposing mindbreak trap.
    evacuation - in my legacy build, it's instrumental against DnT and other hate bears decks.

I'm really not familiar with modern, but this looks to be quite interesting. I might try to build this more like a pseudo-springtide, and have the option of going off at instant speed. gives you access to things like broken bond and pore over the pages, fascination, and be less reliant on a large BSZ to draw you cards.

Oh right before i forget, one version of solidarity runs snap+snapcaster mage to reuse/untap lands to continue when they start to fizzle. mine runs some number of mission briefing to reuse things that've been countered/used up, and to dig. You might actually find it to be possibly useful too. It's like opt, but better.

What does this actually offer over the Wilderness Reclamation version?
    WR is like Dictate + Spasm in one card, so the drawback is that it doesn't have flash so you have to mainphase tap out for it? Which is only relevant in matchups where the opponent has counters (or instant speed enchantment removal I guess) because it untaps all your lands before the opponent gets their turn anyway.
    It doesn't seem too hard to force Wilderness through opposing counters with Remands and Teachings for extra counters.
    Wilderness Reclamation just seems better honestly

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    What does this actually offer over the Wilderness Reclamation version?
    WR is like Dictate + Spasm in one card, so the drawback is that it doesn't have flash so you have to mainphase tap out for it? Which is only relevant in matchups where the opponent has counters (or instant speed enchantment removal I guess) because it untaps all your lands before the opponent gets their turn anyway.
    It doesn't seem too hard to force Wilderness through opposing counters with Remands and Teachings for extra counters.
    Wilderness Reclamation just seems better honestly
    I think these are 2 different decks. Having everything go off at instant speed means that you’re basically playing the waiting control game, sculpting your hand, till your opponent does something that forces you to go off over. Also, you go off in one go. Or take another turn mid combo.

Wilderness rec, and other sorcery speed combos requires you to play a much different game. There’s probably space for the two to be tested at some point.

The thing I’m thinking is that tapping for 3 mana isn’t that great. Especially if your untap effects cost so much.

Sep 2011

Added card tags because fringe cards and it's annoying to look them up.

3 Snapcaster Mage
    3 Opt
    4 Mystical Teachings

4 Growth Spiral
    1 Natural Connection

2 Dictate of Karametra
    4 Reality Spasm
    2 Blue Sun's Zenith
    1 Nexus of Fate

4 Remand
    4 Cryptic Command
    1 Abrupt Decay
    2 Fatal Push
    1 Spell Snare

4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Watery Grave
    3 Breeding Pool
    2 Overgrown Tomb
    3 Island
    3 Forest
    2 Swamp

Is Spasm really better than Early Harvest? I guess it can be better if you have mostly nonbasics, but in general it costs more mana to untap the same number of lands, worse at mana production and more likely to fizzle. The only advantage is flexibility in interacting with the game, but it's still card disadvantage for a tempo trick. Is there really nothing better in the entire Modern format?

Why not run at least 1-2 Early Harvest? You have teachings to find it. This deck seems made for Early Harvest.

Thread Information