Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Naya Vengevine

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    North Central CA

Re: Naya Vengevine

Agreed with 4 color being too greedy. Even if no one punishes you, hitting the right colors is extremely difficult for powering Nacatl early and leaving up the right combination for other things you'd want to do.

I just can't see Domri being the correct choice for a deck. 3 mana is the most significant investment you're currently paying and he doesn't add much pressure by increasing your clock or even give you significant card advantage. In terms of planeswalkers, it's one of the least scary to play against. If you need something late game to prevent stalls, I'd always go 1 mana higher for the planeswalkers that are way more powerful, Chandra, torch of defiance or Koth of the hammer or maybe Garruk relentless. You have enough card filtering to just discard them if it's early game and you don't think you can support it that game.

If you can't hit 4 mana reliably, I'd shift the creatures into giving you more reach. Grim Lavamancer is a great 1-cmc for late game even if it competes for graveyard resources, and Ghor-clan rampager can provide the extra burst you need or turn into a 4/4 creature in top deck mode. Tireless Tracker and Knight of the Reliquary are decent cards to increase your late game potential, even if you don't plan to abuse them.

Most of these higher cmc suggestions could replace Domri but as you are an aggro deck you wouldn't want to use many of them.

Nov 2010
    New Gloucester, Maine, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    Agreed with 4 color being too greedy. Even if no one punishes you, hitting the right colors is extremely difficult for powering Nacatl early and leaving up the right combination for other things you'd want to do.

I just can't see Domri being the correct choice for a deck. 3 mana is the most significant investment you're currently paying and he doesn't add much pressure by increasing your clock or even give you significant card advantage. In terms of planeswalkers, it's one of the least scary to play against. If you need something late game to prevent stalls, I'd always go 1 mana higher for the planeswalkers that are way more powerful, Chandra, torch of defiance or Koth of the hammer or maybe Garruk relentless. You have enough card filtering to just discard them if it's early game and you don't think you can support it that game.

If you can't hit 4 mana reliably, I'd shift the creatures into giving you more reach. Grim Lavamancer is a great 1-cmc for late game even if it competes for graveyard resources, and Ghor-clan rampager can provide the extra burst you need or turn into a 4/4 creature in top deck mode. Tireless Tracker and Knight of the Reliquary are decent cards to increase your late game potential, even if you don't plan to abuse them.

Most of these higher cmc suggestions could replace Domri but as you are an aggro deck you wouldn't want to use many of them.
    Thanks! Domri is really for the grindier matchups, like Rock and UWx control. I do like the Ghor Clan rampager suggestion, and i totally understand what you mean. In practice Domri has been better than you suggest, but your point stands. I really like the gc rampager idea, like, a lot.

What are your thoughts on Naya Charm? Too cute?
    I am counted amongst legions of the unrighteous
    who dread not being immersed in pits of fire

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    North Central CA

Is Domri better at his job than Chandra, torch of defiance would be, though? 1 mana is a big difference on paper, but if it's for the grindy, long games then you'd be much better off going big in that slot. You have options in that respect because Faithless Looting allows you to play dead cards in certain matchups. It's like how blue cards in Legacy are that much better because even if Jace is bad in this matchup, he pitches to Force of Will just the same as a cantrip would. Domri seems all-around mediocre instead of throwing a haymaker in 50% of matchups and pitching it in the other 50%.

Naya Charm seems too cute and also not necessary if you build the deck to be slightly more evasive. Ghor-Clan Rampager and things like Grim Lavamancer would mean you don't rely on an alpha strike to close out the game. Naya Charms first 2 modes are extremely lackluster so tapping their team would be the only real reason to play it. It has to be dead or sub-par at least 4/5 of the time, which isn't so bad because you can pitch it to Faithless, but there have to be more impactful cards to be playing in that slot.

Nov 2010

Good points. I think I'll work in Ghor-Clan and Grim Lavamancer, leaving Naya Charm behind. Domri I'm still testing, but I think it will eventually get cut as well. Chandra seems like a very good suggestion as well.

Thanks!

Nov 2010

Small update: ghor clan = awesome, putting in 2 straight away. T1 nacatl/neonate/ape, t2 attack for 5-8 is very good. I have popped Neonate too soon in some situations, same with wraiths. This gives me another avenue to apply pressure while i work on a window for the engine to pay off. Domri still in board as a proxy until i can get a Chandra, or maybe garruk relentless, which seems ok as well.

Ajani Vengeant and Gaddock Teeg are on my mind for sideboard as well. Lavaman is always an option for grindier matchups as well.

I hit 4 mana pretty often, to answer an earlier question.

Nov 2010

Ghor-Clan has been great, pretty sold on those 2 slots.

Sideboard has changed. The BGx matchup is horrible; a single IoK can unravel an incredible hand. So I'm playing a set of Leylines for the Rock/Jund/Shadow matchups where I expect to see a lot of discard. No more messing around with lifegain options to race burn, leylines come in to shut off half their deck. Leylines can be discarded to Looting/Neonates, and I can cast the Leylines if it comes to that. My approach is changing quite a bit as well; I'm starting to look at this as a combo deck, not an agro deck. I need to sideboard accordingly. Boarding slots are Bolts and Ghor-Clans, maybe shaving a Hoots if I need a 7th sideboard card.

2x Surgical Extraction
    2x Destructive Revelry
    2x Stony Silence
    3x Path to Exile
    2x Alpine Moon
    4x Leyline of Sanctity

Nov 2010

I am hoping for a draw/discard outlet for this deck in Modern Horizons. Discard/draw is objectively worse for this style deck in particular, where a card like Cathartic Reunion is nuts in dredge due to the critical mass of cards you can discard.

Like this would be nuts:

Red-Flavored Opt
    R
    Instant
    Draw a card, then discard a card.

Thread Information