Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Naya Vengevine

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Re: Naya Vengevine

Trademage, as an enabler, seems too slow. Maybe trim one or two for Izzet Charms?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

If Trademage ends up being too slow I don't know why I would need to splash blue at that point. I would go back to the Naya version which is more aggressive with Wild Nacatls and Ghor-Clan Rampagers.

I honestly don't think a t3 Trademage is too slow. This deck doesn't rely on continual graveyard value, it comes in spurts. That makes it a little more resilient to graveyard hate. I also like that even if Trademage is slow as an enabler it is still a 3/4 flyer for 3 mana, which is an above average rate. My big concern is the discard 3, which could be a little problematic if I don't have enough value to discard. I end up being a card down in hand, and I don't know how many of those effects the deck can handle (Looting, Neonate, Trademage.) Another option is to jam Bloodghasts instead of Street Wraiths. I wouldn't be able to cast them at BB, no way, but getting them for free with a land drop seems pretty good. I really like that they are extra bodies for Reckless Bushwhacker. It's a little loose, but it might be necessary. I might just need the extra 4 value targets for Trademage.

I am still building the deck, so it's a lot of 'talk but no walk' just yet. I think Trademage will likely be good enough simply because it singlehandedly enables free Hollow Ones.

EDIT: The life loss from Street Wraith may prove to be too much anyways. If that's the case, I think I will need to move over to Bloodghast, Edge of Autumn or Thought Scour. Edge has the, um, 'edge' currently as a free cycling enabler. Golgari Brownscale in the sideboard could do some work as well, or something like Feed the Clan.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I am mildly curious if Skaab Ruinator is potentially good enough for the deck. It has a 'cheaper' delve cost at only 3 cards (creatures) and can be cast from the graveyard same as Hogaak. I can however use mana to cast it so I don't have to tap my dudes to get him out there. A 5/6 flyer is nothing to sneeze at either. Hogaak may become necessary, but I'm not entirely sure he dodges another B&R cycle. It's likely, probable even, that Hooting Mandrils is just better.

EDIT: Force of Vigor may be better than Destructive Revelry in the sideboard, especially against t0 Leyline of the Void. The card disadvantage is a bummer, but having it be free seems very, very good.

In the words of Chris Pratt, 'I'm going to make some weird shit.' I'm actually debating 5-colors for the deck, which allows for a Snapcaster Mage + Tribal Flames sideboard option that dodges the graveyard. Switching up a couple dual lands in the main, maybe a fetch or 2, and I can not only enable Tribal Flames but white sideboard cards. Shit's getting weird...and if I run into Blood Moon (not too bad, half the deck is red-based already, I have Birds and BTE's to get green mana) then Force of Vigor gets a little more necessary.
    Last edited by Mr. Safety; 08-02-2019 at 07:30 AM.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Update: bloodghast is garbage. Trademage, unfortunately, is about 1 turn too slow. I don't think its going to make the cut. In a non-dredge deck i think the draw 2, discard 3 is too much for this deck to handle. I would need, at a minimum l, 4 more graveyard based threats to make it work. I just don't have them available. Hooting Mandrils is still great, and street wraith is still necessary. I feel like maybe Seasoned Pyromancer could be good here. It was mentioned earlier in the thread but i haven't had a chance to test it out.

Birds were dissapointing. I got a couple t2 Trademages, but i ended up a card down that cost me. I had to discard valuable cards because i didn't have vengevines. Wild Nacatl is looking really good again

The enablers really have to be 1 mana. Neonate and Looting are the best enablers. I wish there was another Neonate affect available.

EDIT: OP edited with the list I landed on before Modern Horizons. The only changes that would happen at this point would be metagame choices. The Horizon lands seem appealing, but don't support Wild Nacatl. I think I could squeeze in 1, maybe 2 Sunbaked Canyon or Horizon Canopy. Some changes to the sideboard to combat UW control (Lead the Stampede) and Jund (Leyline of Sanctity). Discard is surprisingly good against this deck, especially Inquisition of Kozilek. Both cards are good in other matchups as well, with Lead the Stampede being decent against Tron if they wipe the board with OStone (but I should be fast enough for them) and Leyline stops Burn and Walking Ballista. Force of Vigor is still on my mind, but the main reason would be to battle Blood Moon. However...Blood Moon isn't that great against this deck. The worst it does is turn Wild Nacatl into a 2/2.
    Last edited by Mr. Safety; 08-05-2019 at 07:46 AM.
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Deck is dead without Looting. Rip.
    Brainstorm Realist

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Deck is dead without Looting. Rip.
    As you noted above, Trademage is a little too slow. And so is Izzet Charm, obviously. Given that the format will slow down significantly, maybe the deck still has a chance if you go for a larger blue splash.
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I don't think it would be worth the effort, honestly. The outlets would be Trademage, Izzet Charm, and maybe Cathartic Reunion? I don't think it would be reliable enough. I was really dissapointed with the minimal testing i did of the rug version; the only good starts had looting.
    Brainstorm Realist

Thread Information