Thread: Tool to find best deck given your collection

Tool to find best deck given your collection

I created a script that calculates how many cards you need to build any tier deck in most formats (and MTGA). If anybody finds it helpful, I put the tool online for free at https://bestdeckforyou.pythonanywhere.com/.
    For paper mtg, you only need to write a list of cards in your collection and it tells you how much you must spend to build tiers. Prices are taken from MKM trend, so it's very helpful for European players. I also added a tool to quickly estimate the value of cards in your collection.
    A friend of mine added a "Legacy Budget To Tier" format, which gives you Steps to build Legacy Tiers starting from budget decks.
    The website is still pretty rough, but maybe it will help somebody.

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

Re: Tool to find best deck given your collection

Nice, I'll be sure to check that out :)

While we are at it, how do you people curate a list of your (paper) Magic collection?

I think that https://deckbox.org/ and UrzaGatherer are two among the best options available, but writing the cards can be tedious.
    TCG has an App that recognizes cards using the camera, but I am not sure if you can then export your list.

Quote Originally Posted by Orens View Post
    I created a script that calculates how many cards you need to build any tier deck in most formats (and MTGA). If anybody finds it helpful, I put the tool online for free at https://bestdeckforyou.pythonanywhere.com/.
    For paper mtg, you only need to write a list of cards in your collection and it tells you how much you must spend to build tiers. Prices are taken from MKM trend, so it's very helpful for European players. I also added a tool to quickly estimate the value of cards in your collection.
    A friend of mine added a "Legacy Budget To Tier" format, which gives you Steps to build Legacy Tiers starting from budget decks.
    The website is still pretty rough, but maybe it will help somebody.
    cheers! that's really awesome!

On the other hand, i'm a bit surprised my results go burn, DnT, imperial painter, in that order. I don't actually play any of them; i'm a solidarity player!

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Im curious how you decided what decks are in the pool of decks for each format and how you selected the 1 decklist to be used for each archtype?
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

I’m no programmer, but I’ve seen this site called edh rec, that has the ability to create the ‘average’ decklist given a single commander.

It might be possible to make an average decklist for specific deck. Also, I know I have like 90% of strawberry shortcake, and that didn’t pop up on the list of decks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

This is pretty cool. It works really well with how I prioritize my purchases.
    Mom-mom had to die because of the ground chemicals. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10272003

For Legacy, My friend takes lists from MtgTop8 and creates an average decklist.
    For other formats, I am more lazy and I just copy the maindeck from MtgGoldfish. If you think I should add a decklist send it to me (possibly at bestdeckforyou@gmail.com ) and I will upload it.
    There is still a lot of work to do: this week I will make sortable tables, so you can click on the column header and it will sort according to what you clicked on (price, cards needed...)
    Next month I will try to add sideboards, although I don’t know if it’s so important

For Legacy, My friend takes lists from MtgTop8 and creates an average decklist.
    For other formats, I am more lazy and I just copy the maindeck from MtgGoldfish. If you think I should add a decklist send it to me (possibly at bestdeckforyou@gmail.com ) and I will upload it.
    There is still a lot of work to do: this week I will make sortable tables, so you can click on the column header and it will sort according to what you clicked on (price, cards needed...)
    Next month I will try to add sideboards, although I don’t know if it’s so important
    Wow nice!
    Cheers for all the work you’re pouring into this. I think it’d help players who are sick of modern/standard get into legacy!

Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

Quote Originally Posted by schweinefettmann View Post
    On the other hand, i'm a bit surprised my results go burn, DnT, imperial painter, in that order. I don't actually play any of them; i'm a solidarity player!
    I'm the guy who made the lists for legacy

I think the reason is that burn, dnt and painter are the most cheaper decks and so it's easy to have a good percentage of them. I forgot to add solidarity to the list of decks, but in the next update i will surely put it

I was thinking, since writing a 60-card deck for every archetype isn't so simple, maybe we could instead give a list of 70-80 cards that a player of that archetype should have to be sure that he or she can make any variant (for example, canadian usually plays 52-54 fixed cards and then some flex slots: dismember, fire/ice, forked bolt, preordain, spell pierce, spell snare, tarfire, sylvan library, chain lightning...) For the list I made some choices, but maybe someone else would make different choices, and so a list of more than 60 cards would be more useful. What do you think?

Strawberry shortcake is the white splash version of imperial painter, right? That explains why you have a good percentage on imperial painter. I'll add shortcake in the next list.

Any other decks missing, outside of the two played by schweinefettmann?

Well there we have it; it’s just me who enjoys and plays esoteric decks!

I updated the decks with cards from MH1 and added some decks like shortcake and solidarity, so I hope schweinefettmann will find the right deck

Please tell me if there are some problems or some decks I missed ;)

EDIT: I also added sideboard, I know that it is impossible to make an average sideboard but I tried to put the most played cards in each sideboard

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I've been messing around with this, it's a very cool thing you've made here. I really like it. I absolutely love the analysis at the end, giving me a breakdown of the exact cards I would need to get the deck finished.

I tip my hat to you, good sir.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I've been messing around with this, it's a very cool thing you've made here. I really like it. I absolutely love the analysis at the end, giving me a breakdown of the exact cards I would need to get the deck finished.

I tip my hat to you, good sir.
    I am happy that you like it!

Unfortunately this summer I did not work on the website due to work. Now I will try to make some improvements (maybe adding USD prices?). Feedback is always appreciated.

Really cool tool.

... Now I will try to make some improvements (maybe adding USD prices?). Feedback is always appreciated.
    Maybe MTGO prices?

Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
    Maybe MTGO prices?
    This is actually a very good idea!

Could anybody give me feedback on prices? Are they accurate enough?

I find TCG market prices to be quite weird and I do not know the US market very well. Maybe I should add a way to let users signal wrong or outdated prices.

This is actually a very good idea!

Could anybody give me feedback on prices? Are they accurate enough?

I find TCG market prices to be quite weird and I do not know the US market very well. Maybe I should add a way to let users signal wrong or outdated prices.
    MTGOgoldfish or Cardhoarder are the answer (for MTGO prices).

Thread Information