Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dwarf Stompy!

Dwarf Stompy!

Dwarven Recruiter plus Depala, Pilot Exemplar is an interesting draw engine, and they've printed some interesting dwarves/vehicles now like toolcraft exemplar and smuggler's copter. None of the dwarves stop combo at all, so I threw in chalice and thalia plus blood moon in the board in my sample list below (you can play the one drop dwarves through chalice with cavern). Thalia plus dwarven miner is interesting. Anyone trying out dwarves or have suggestions?

The other avenue I think is trying to get dwarven recruiter plus arcane adaptation to work somehow.

4 dwarven recruiter
    4 depala, pilot exemplar
    4 toolcraft exemplar
    1 Dwarven Miner
    1 Solemn Recruit
    1 Fairgrounds Warden
    1 Mirror Entity
    1 Crib Swap
    1 Renegade wheelsmith
    1 Torbran, Thane of Red Fell
    1 Duergar Hedge-Mage

4 Karn, the great creator
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa’s Jiitte
    4 smuggler’s copter
    4 chalice of the void

4 chrome mox
    4 cavern of souls
    2 Plateau
    1 Plains
    2 Mountain
    1 Karakas
    4 Arid Mesa
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 City of Traitors

SB:
    3 Rest in Peace
    3 thorn of amethyst
    3 blood moon
    1 Goblin Charbelcher
    1 tormod's crypt
    1 wurmcoil engine
    1 liquimetal coating
    1 mycosynth lattice
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    Last edited by kinda; 06-05-2020 at 06:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Re: Dwarf Stompy!

I love this! I think however I would make it a little more focused on some interactions and on the stompy part. My suggestions below.

-1 Bloodfire Dwarf (1 of this effect tutorable mainboard seems plenty)
    -1 Solem Recruit (the vehicles should be our beef, but keeping 1 to tutor for seems fine)
    -1 Skysovereign, Consul Flagship (5 mana is a lot and there's no way to tutor)
    -1 Veteran Motorist (doesn't seem that great)
    +1 Dwarven Grunt (with buffs and moon effects this might be worth it once in awhile)
    +3 Magus of the Moon (may as well try and screw em with this and chalice game 1)

Consider Dwarven Blastminer also? It's only a 1/1 to Miner's 1/2, but the effect is the same and you can morph it to surprise blow up land the first time. Fitting in some Wastelands also seems good but not sure if that's the worst idea ever.
    Cockatrice: Bosque

Duergar Hedge-mage and dwarven bloodboiler may be worth considering.
    Also, aether vial.
    I don't think skysovereign is worth it.
    Veteran Motorist seems ok to me, scry2 seems pretty helpful with Depala.
    I like the dwarven grunt + moon idea, and dwarven bloodboiler could really increase the hurt.

Duergar Hedge-Mage seems solid. Vial I'm unsure about, I think you either make this a vial deck and add 4x Wastelands and go to 4x Thalia to survive at all against most decks and cut the Chalice/Moon plan, or go more all in on the Chalice/Moon plan. I think we want to stompy more and lean on the 2 and 3 CMC cards as I think we get better value of our cards that way?
    Cockatrice: Bosque

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

No charbelcher kill like in goblins?
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
    No charbelcher kill like in goblins?
    ...excellent suggestion.

Yeah I agree that blood moon is probably better than thalia, good suggestions everyone. Thinking...moving thalia to the board and shaving some of the mentioned dwarves for blood moon or magus of the moon.
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Depala's ability costs mana and draws cards, which sounds like a winning combination for Aether Vial. Now if only there were better dwarves to draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewm View Post
    Depala's ability costs mana and draws cards, which sounds like a winning combination for Aether Vial. Now if only there were better dwarves to draw.
    ... At least you get to resolve dwarven recruiter for 15 minutes most games. I'm excited, thinking of running this in our monthly proxy event end of the month.

Winter Maze

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Dwarven Recruiter plus Depala, Pilot Exemplar is an interesting draw engine, and they've printed some interesting dwarves/vehicles now like toolcraft exemplar and smuggler's copter. None of the dwarves stop combo at all, so I threw in chalice and thalia plus blood moon in the board in my sample list below (you can play the one drop dwarves through chalice with cavern). Thalia plus dwarven miner is interesting. Anyone trying out dwarves or have suggestions?

The other avenue I think is trying to get dwarven recruiter plus arcane adaptation to work somehow.

4 dwarven recruiter
    4 depala, pilot exemplar
    4 toolcraft exemplar
    2 Veteran Motorist
    1 Dwarven Miner
    1 Solemn Recruit
    1 Bloodfire Dwarf
    1 Fairgrounds Warden
    1 Mirror Entity
    1 Crib Swap
    1 Renegade wheelsmith

1 goblin charbelcher
    4 Blood Moon
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    2 Umezawa’s Jiitte
    4 smuggler’s copter
    4 chalice of the void

4 chrome mox
    4 cavern of souls
    2 Plateau
    2 Plains
    2 Mountain
    1 Karakas
    4 Arid Mesa
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 City of Traitors

SB:
    4 Rest in Peace
    4 thorn of amethyst
    2 goblin sharpshooter
    4 Abrade
    1 duergar something something destroys things
    What about more of a shift towards vial goblins? Wastelands + Ports + Vial + Dorf Blastminer seems like a beat down

If you think blastminer, I also think about Pardic Miner. Sounds bad, but provides the time to set up. Seismic Mage might be better in the later game (can destroy basics), but 4 CMC and being a human doesn't help.

Pardic miner is interesting. Post a vial list if you get some time.

Winter Maze

Sep 2011

Dwarf creatures worth considering:

Aerial Responder
    Aethergode Miner
    Deadeye Harpooner
    Duergar Hedge-Mage
    Dwarven Blastminer
    Dwarven Miner
    Dwarven Sea Clan
    Fairgrounds Warden
    Mine Layer

If you play a Vial deck, Harpooner can be very strong Vialled in at instant speed to kill an attacker (crack a fetch).

Dwarven Sea Clan has T: kill target Delver. Also works on most dorks in Uxx decks. Tech??

Mine Layer is very slow but can kill basics with Port.

Wasteland + Port must play well with the LD dwarves too.

Vile Dwarves

//Lands: 22
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Arid Mesa
    4 Plateau
    1 Mountain
    1 Plains

//Artifacts: 8
    4 Aether Vial
    4 Smuggler's Copter

//Dwarves: 26
    4 Duergar Assailant
    4 Countless Gears Renegade
    4 Dwarven Miner
    2 Dwarven Blastminer
    4 Dwarven Recruiter
    3 Depala, Pilot Exemplar
    2 Deadeye Harpooner
    2 Fairgrounds Warden
    1 Duergar Hedge-Mage

//Spells: 4
    4 Swords to Plowshares

//Sideboard: 15
    1 Duergar Hedge-Mage
    2 Dwarven Sea Clan
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Faerie Macabre
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Containment Priest

How's that for a start? Like Vial Goblins, this will have a terrible matchup against combo. But there's some good tech against creatures and greedy manabases.

Here's my attempt:

I think dwarven recruiter is by far the most powerful card in the deck and combos with Char broiler to 1 shot your opponent. So I added tutors in to make it more consistent. Just don't recruiter then tutor as you will have to shuffle everything again.

8 Lands
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Wasteland

4 Aether Vial
    1 Aethersphere Harvester
    3 Smuggler's Copter
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Goblin Charbelcher

1 Crib Swap
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Lightning Bolt

1 Bloodfire Dwarf
    3 Countless Gears Renegade
    1 Deadeye Harpooner
    3 Depala, Pilot Exemplar
    1 Duergar Hedge-Mage
    2 Dwarven Blastminer
    4 Dwarven Recruiter
    1 Fairgrounds Warden
    4 Toolcraft Exemplar
    3 Veteran Motorist

I'm actually iffy about the revolt dwarfs. I actually don't think we have the fetch density to make them work consistently

Sep 2011

Fetches aren't the only way to enable Revolt. There's also Wasteland, creatures trading in combat, and Duergar Assailant or Bloodfire Dwarf. Vial helps a lot to time Revolt around things leaving the battlefield. It may still be too inconsistent, but I think the lack of fetches alone isn't a good enough reason.

Charbelcher is a great kill but it would require tutors and set-up. It's a 2-card combo (Recruiter + Charlbecher) taking a total of 10 mana. I think it works better in the Chalice Stompy sol land version than the Wasteland-Vial version.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Fetches aren't the only way to enable Revolt. There's also Wasteland, creatures trading in combat, and Duergar Assailant or Bloodfire Dwarf. Vial helps a lot to time Revolt around things leaving the battlefield. It may still be too inconsistent, but I think the lack of fetches alone isn't a good enough reason.

Charbelcher is a great kill but it would require tutors and set-up. It's a 2-card combo (Recruiter + Charlbecher) taking a total of 10 mana. I think it works better in the Chalice Stompy sol land version than the Wasteland-Vial version.
    Duergar assailant and countless gears renegade seem under powered to me. I would md thalia/something over them I think. Thalia works well with the ld theme.

@Von: Similarly, I'm confused with the interest in countless?

Winter Maze

Sep 2011

Yeah maybe it should just be Thalia.

Mogg War Marshal is strong in Goblins at stabilizing the board while they set up the card advantage engine. They need enough business and speed bumps at 1-2 mana before the value 3cmc and 4cmc guys come online. Otherwise the curve does not work with the Waste/Port/Caverns manabase. I figured Countless Gears Renegade is the dwarf equivalent: multiple bodies and 3 power / 3 toughness for 2 mana.

The Vial/Wasteland version needs enough 1-2cc Dwarves and most are underwhelming. Veteran Motorist might be better, but it's ideal in a vehicles list and bad with all the colorless lands. Toolcraft Exemplar is a good aggro 1 drop but wants a high artifact count and leads to different deckbuilding decisions.

Callum is going to stream dwarves next on his stream to support the NAACP! https://www.twitch.tv/whitefaces . Come support!

Winter Maze

Jul 2005
    Belgium

Sep 2011

Card-tagged for everyone's benefit

With an Aether Vial-Recruiter-Depala build, I think you want at least 1 Deadeye Harpooner or Fairgrounds Warden. The ability to flash in a creature that kills Emrakul, the Aeons Torn or Griselbrand is too good to pass up. Fairgrounds Warden permanently answers Marit Lage.

Jul 2005
    Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    With an Aether Vial-Recruiter-Depala build, I think you want at least 1 Deadeye Harpooner or Fairgrounds Warden. The ability to flash in a creature that kills Emrakul, the Aeons Torn or Griselbrand is too good to pass up. Fairgrounds Warden permanently answers Marit Lage.
    Agreed.
    I prefer Fairgrounds Warden though as Revolt cannot be relied upon.
    Smuggler's Copter only needs Crew 1 which is ideal for the Warden.

//CC1
    4 [KLD] Toolcraft Exemplar
    4 [MM2#122] Lightning Bolt
    4 [DST#91] Aether Vial

//CC2
    4 [KLD] Veteran Motorist
    4 [KLD] Smuggler's Copter
    1 [MIR#169] Dwarven Miner

//CC3
    4 [ODY] Dwarven Recruiter
    3 [EVE] Duergar Hedge-Mage
    3 [KLD] Depala, Pilot Exemplar