Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vision Charm and land types

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

Vision Charm and land types

Essentially, I'm aware that Vision Charm is able to turn a land type e.g. Island into another basic land type e.g. Mountain.

However, do non-basic land-type count as land-types? i.e. can I choose non-basic as a land-type and turn all non-basic lands into Mountains?
    Decks that I care about:
    Steel Stompy
    UWx Landstill
    Dreadstalker
    DDFT (10% practice)

Mangara on MWS? You must be masochistic. -kiblast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    REB is a fantastic sideboard card against blue... in blue decks :/

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Re: Vision Charm and land types

The only valid choices for land types are:

basics
    Lair
    Locus
    Urza
    Desert
    Mine
    tower
    power-plant

Also see
    Quote Originally Posted by Comprehensive Rules: 205.3i
    Lands have their own unique set of subtypes; these subtypes are called land types. The land types are Desert, Forest, Island, Lair, Locus, Mine, Mountain, Plains, Power-Plant, Swamp, Tower, and Urza's. Of that list, Forest, Island, Mountain, Plains, and Swamp are the basic land types. See rule 305.6.
    This will turn off the appropriate dual lands for the turn too.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

Thanks this is interesting. It seems that they really have not worked on developing the area of land-types with the exception of Loci.

I guess there's no way I can turn off Maze of Ith then :P But the situation I ran into was playing against 12-post and I was wondering if I could name 'non-basic' as a land-type to shut off cloudpost, but apparently you can name Locus and it would work.
    Decks that I care about:
    Steel Stompy
    UWx Landstill
    Dreadstalker
    DDFT (10% practice)

Mangara on MWS? You must be masochistic. -kiblast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    REB is a fantastic sideboard card against blue... in blue decks :/

"Non-basic" is the lack of the Basic supertype; it is not a type.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.”
    -David DeLaney

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    The only valid choices for land types are:

basics
    Lair
    Locus
    Urza
    Desert
    Mine
    tower
    power-plant
    I'm adding this to the Stiflenought thread. From experience, I've timewalked a handful of burn players already. I have yet to face a 12-post player.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    Jesus H Cardsheet died for your NFC sins.

Sep 2009
    Bratislava, Slovak republic

Just curious. Is there any card which can change land's subtype to one of the nonbasic ones?

Usually when I am forced to turn it into basic type it means that the land has lost all its abilities and becomes only a manasource of the chosen color, but turning it into colorless mana source has greater potential...

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Offler View Post
    Just curious. Is there any card which can change land's subtype to one of the nonbasic ones?

Usually when I am forced to turn it into basic type it means that the land has lost all its abilities and becomes only a manasource of the chosen color, but turning it into colorless mana source has greater potential...
    If a land is turned into a basic land, it automatically loses all other abilities and can only make mana of the appropriate color. However, if you somehow give a land a nonbasic land type, it doesn't lose its other abilities, or gain any new abilities. If you apply the same logic to creature types, it might make more sense. If you somehow make something into a llanowar elves then it will lose its old abilities and gain the elf ability. However, if you just give something the creature type "elf", it doesn't gain or lose any abilities.

So back to the case with land, the only way this would work is if you could make a land into a specific nonbasic land. For example, if you turned a mountain into a mishra's factory, it would lose the ability to create red mana, but you could make colorless mana or animate the factory just like normal.

I don't think any cards like this exist anyway.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Malchar View Post
    I don't think any cards like this exist anyway.
    Living Plane + Cytoshape might work. Not sure though.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Sep 2009

Hm. This is bit interesting.

Seems to me as a bit of legacy rule because previously "wall" creature type carried "defender" with it. With "Island" subtype its similar.

For example Urza's Factory has Urza's Subtype but it does not carry any specification and its ruling on gatherer warns that it does not interact with the rest of urza's lands.

From creature point of view:

Balduvian Frostwaker.

He turns snow land directly to Blue Elemental while "its still land". However BlueElemental subtype does not carry any specifics as for example Island subtype carries or Wall subtype carried in the past.

however Desert is a great example... When comparing to Island both have land subtype which is exactly same as the name of the card. But its hard to find whether "Desert" land subtype carries any specifications.

Will check the rules for this...

At all copying of the whole land, no matter how is bit clear. You will get exact copy with all abilities printed on the card. So the question is if it is specified what land types carry any specifications.

To change land subtype... I believe its always specified that I can set only Basic land subtype.

At all copying of the whole land, no matter how is bit clear. You will get exact copy with all abilities printed on the card. So the question is if it is specified what land types carry any specifications.
    Read rule 305, Lands. It's very short and clear. Only the basic subtypes carry any special rules.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.”
    -David DeLaney

Sep 2009

I see. If a land is an Island it can be tapped for blue mana even when its ability is not printed on the card.

When land subtype is changed to island (completely, not only "in addition") all its abilities are erased and it has only this mana ability.

Have also re-checked it. Each card which can set land subtype always sets it to basic subtype and no other.

Also want to ask similar question on "text changing" cards, like Swirl the mists. Changing color words do not affect mana symbols (even when it reads "color word" mana).

True or false?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Also want to ask similar question on "text changing" cards, like Swirl the mists. Changing color words do not affect mana symbols (even when it reads "color word" mana).

True or false?
    Correct. and Island, and "blue" are not the same when it comes to cards such as Magical Hack. Blue mana will always be strictly referred to as rather than verbally.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Oct 2010
    Germany

So I can change all Islands into Deserts (or what else?) and they won't produce blue mana anymore, only colorless?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Buddha View Post
    So I can change all Islands into Deserts (or what else?) and they won't produce blue mana anymore, only colorless?
    No, this is not how Vision Charm works. You choose a land type (valid choices shown in the 2nd post) and a basic land type; each land of the former would become the latter. Desert is not a basic land type.

If there was a way to change Islands to Deserts, then the Island-now-Desert would lose its "T: Add " ability, but not necessarily gain "T: Add ".
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Oct 2010
    Germany

Thanks for the quick answer.

I have another question: Does Vision Charm also affect lands in the library? so that they cannot be fetched anymore by Fetchlands?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Buddha View Post
    Thanks for the quick answer.

I have another question: Does Vision Charm also affect lands in the library? so that they cannot be fetched anymore by Fetchlands?
    It would only affect permanents on the battlefield. Otherwise, it would have to refer to "land cards" and specify a zone.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    It would only affect permanents on the battlefield. Otherwise, it would have to refer to "land cards" and specify a zone.
    So could Vision Charm be a super accelerant for turbo Eldrazi, turning everything into Loci?

-Matt

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    So could Vision Charm be a super accelerant for turbo Eldrazi, turning everything into Loci?

-Matt
    Reading Vision Charm:
    Vision Charm
    Instant, U
    Choose one — Target player puts the top four cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard; or choose a land type and a basic land type, and each land of the first chosen type becomes the second chosen type until end of turn; or target artifact phases out. (While it's phased out, it's treated as though it doesn't exist. It phases in before its controller untaps during his or her next untap step.)

Nope. No can do.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

In regards to the land type changing portion of this card, when do you choose the lands? Is it selecting a target upon casting, or similar to cabal therapy and naming a card on resolution?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord View Post
    In regards to the land type changing portion of this card, when do you choose the lands? Is it selecting a target upon casting, or similar to cabal therapy and naming a card on resolution?
    You can look at http://yawgatog.com/resources/magic-rules/#R6012 for the things that are chosen on announcement - modes, targets, division of effects, total cost, payment. The only things that Vision Charm has that need to be chosen on announcement are the mode and (if appropriate for the mode chosen) targets.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information