Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thunderbluff 3.0

Thunderbluff 3.0

The core idea of the deck is to use didgeridoo and preeminent captain to cheat boros battleshaper into play as it is both a minotaur and a soldier. The other 48 cards are pretty up in the air but probably a good mix of minotaurs and soldiers plus some prison pieces, I went 1-3 with the list below tonight. I originally posted a list in the soldiers thread but considering the deck can't run chalice or suppression field, probably doesn't make sense there. I haven't been able to find palace jailers or changeling titan yet, plus chrome mox is in the mail but I expect to find room for those three. Might eventually try a more aggro version with kytheon and mox amber. Ideas welcome!

I played Thunderbluff 2.0 once two weeks ago now and managed to go 3-1. The deck uses arcane adaptation/artificial evolution to use didgeridoo to drop in emrakul/griselbrand in addition to boros battleshaper. http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...(AKA-Toot-toot!) .

Thunderbluff 1.0 is the old anaba grunt combo version: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ght=didgeridoo .

4 Didgeridoo
    4 Preeminent captain

4 Boros battleshaper
    2 changeling hero
    3 blaze Commando

1 captain of the watch
    4 enlistment officer
    2 thalia, heretic cathar
    2 mirror entity
    2 goldmeadow harrier

4 lightning bolt
    2 flame jab
    2 enlightened tutor
    1 blood moon
    1 crackdown
    1 ethersworn canonist

4 ancient tomb
    4 inspiring vantage
    1 sacred foundry
    7 plains
    2 Mountain
    4 arid mesa

SB:
    4 abrade
    1 ethersworn canonist
    2 rest in peace
    2 faerie macabre
    2 thorn of amethyst
    1 crackdown
    1 oblivion ring
    1 grim lavamancer
    1 leyline of sanctity
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Re: Thunderbluff 3.0

Last edited by kinda; 04-24-2019 at 12:27 PM.
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Maybe throw in 4 Thorn of Amethyst to steal some more games.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    Maybe throw in 4 Thorn of Amethyst to steal some more games.
    Yeah think I néed more lock pieces.

Winter Maze

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Just wanted to jump in here to say that I went back and read the original Thunder Bluff thread today and it's the best thing that ever happened to The Source. Or Legacy. It would make me so happy to see a competitive variant all these years later. The banning of Anaba Grunt was a pretty fatal setback to the archetype, but you're doing God's work in trying to revive it.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    Just wanted to jump in here to say that I went back and read the original Thunder Bluff thread today and it's the best thing that ever happened to The Source. Or Legacy. It would make me so happy to see a competitive variant all these years later. The banning of Anaba Grunt was a pretty fatal setback to the archetype, but you're doing God's work in trying to revive it.
    The kids don't even know...
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Yeah think I néed more lock pieces.
    You could try Rule of Law too.

I was wondering about the possibility of going RG Minotaur/Shaman instead of RW Minotaur/Solider with Leaf-Crowned Elder and Sensation Gorger but there's really no point in cheating in cmc 4 minotaurs for 3.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    You could try Rule of Law too.

I was wondering about the possibility of going RG Minotaur/Shaman instead of RW Minotaur/Solider with Leaf-Crowned Elder and Sensation Gorger but there's really no point in cheating in cmc 4 minotaurs for 3.
    Rule of law is interesting. Don't think there are enough minotaur shamans for those cards to work...yet.

Winter Maze

Sep 2011

With Anaba Grunt banned, the minotaur side of the deck takes a real hit.

What about playing it in a disruptive shell instead of an aggro shell

//Lands: 18
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Arid Mesa
    3 Plains
    2 Karakas
    1 Plateau

//Artifacts: 15
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Didgeridoo
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    3 Ethersworn Canonist

//Minotaurs and Soldiers: 27
    2 Gideon's Lawkeeper
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Preeminent Captain
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    3 Recruiter of the Guard
    4 Enlistment Officer
    3 Palace Jailer
    4 Boros Battleshaper

//Sideboard:
    3 Dryad Militant
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Ahn-Crop Crasher
    1 Barging Sergeant
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    1 Faerie Macabre
    1 Leonin Relic-Warder
    1 Mirror Entity
    1 Fairgrounds Warden
    1 Aven Mindcensor

Tech:
    - 11 1-sided resistors as early as turn 1
    - 8 ways to cheap out Boros Battleshaper
    - Recruiter of the Guard toolbox
    - Dryad Militant vs Gurmag Angler, Snapcaster, Pteramander, and other stuff
    - Ahn-Crop Crasher is a Minotaur!

I tried out ethersworn tonight, managed to get my first win! Still 1-2 drop but progress. Had a very long game where Boros battleshaper was staring down marit lage, but lost to pfire Beat pox then lost to pox in three.

2 kytheon, hero of akros
    2 legion Loyalist
    3 legion warboss
    3 thalia, guardian of thraben
    2 thalia, heretic cathar
    4 Preeminent captain
    4 enlistment officer
    3 Palace jailer
    4 Boros battleshaper
    2 changeling titan
    2 mirror entity

1 umezawa's jitte
    2 ethersworn canonist

4 didgeridoo
    4 chrome mox
    1 mox amber
    4 inspiring vantage
    4 unclaimed territory
    1 sacred foundry
    1 Mountain
    3 plains
    4 ancient tomb

SB:
    4 rest in peace
    4 abrade
    3 trinisphere
    2 thorn of amethyst
    2 swords to plowshares

Winter Maze

3-1 this time, prized! Beat omnitell, pox, and stoneblade featuring pestermite+splinter twin...lost to esper planeswalker contol. Side note, the new morophon in modern horizons is an amazing minotaur soldier and slots in where changeling titan is right now.

2 kytheon, hero of akros
    2 legion Loyalist
    3 legion warboss
    4 Preeminent captain
    4 enlistment officer
    3 Palace jailer
    4 Boros battleshaper
    2 changeling titan
    2 mirror entity
    1 neheb, dreadhorde champion

1 umezawa's jitte
    1 ethersworn canonist
    3 blood sun

4 didgeridoo

4 chrome mox
    4 inspiring vantage
    4 unclaimed territory
    1 sacred foundry
    2 Mountain
    3 plains
    4 ancient tomb

SB:
    4 abrade
    4 rest in peace
    2 thorn of amethyst
    1 grim lavamancer
    1 ethersworn canonist
    1 leyline of sanctity
    2 goldmeadow harrier

Winter Maze

Ran this again but went 1-2, lost to grixis delver in three then burn...not sure how to improve the bolt match ups. Side note, very excited for morophon .

Winter Maze

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Unsure who to give original credit to. It was the Virginia crew tho.

Good times.

Sep 2011

Ran this again but went 1-2, lost to grixis delver in three then burn...not sure how to improve the bolt match ups. Side note, very excited for morophon .
    Why are you losing the bolt matchups? What are they doing that beats you? Outracing? Getting you low enough life that by the time Battleshaper hits they can burn you out without needing creatures? Just burning your key guys like Preeminent Captain?

If you're losing to removal killing important creatures, Mother of Runes or Burrenton Forgetender or some other protection.

If you're losing to burn to the face, add some lifegain (e.g. SB Warmth, Kor Firewalker, Aven Riftwatcher, Umezawa's Jitte) or spell disruption (SB Leyline of Sanctity, 4th Thalia, SB Thorn of Amethyst).

3-1 this time, prized! Beat omnitell, pox, and stoneblade featuring pestermite+splinter twin...lost to esper planeswalker contol. Side note, the new morophon in modern horizons is an amazing minotaur soldier and slots in where changeling titan is right now.

2 kytheon, hero of akros
    2 legion Loyalist
    3 legion warboss
    4 Preeminent captain
    4 enlistment officer
    3 Palace jailer
    4 Boros battleshaper
    2 changeling titan
    2 mirror entity
    1 neheb, dreadhorde champion

1 umezawa's jitte
    1 ethersworn canonist
    3 blood sun

4 didgeridoo

4 chrome mox
    4 inspiring vantage
    4 unclaimed territory
    1 sacred foundry
    2 Mountain
    3 plains
    4 ancient tomb

SB:
    4 abrade
    4 rest in peace
    2 thorn of amethyst
    1 grim lavamancer
    1 ethersworn canonist
    1 leyline of sanctity
    2 goldmeadow harrier
    Morophon the Boundless from MH seems like a decent Minotaur for Didgeridoo. Maybe as a 1 of.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Why are you losing the bolt matchups? What are they doing that beats you? Outracing? Getting you low enough life that by the time Battleshaper hits they can burn you out without needing creatures? Just burning your key guys like Preeminent Captain?

If you're losing to removal killing important creatures, Mother of Runes or Burrenton Forgetender or some other protection.

If you're losing to burn to the face, add some lifegain (e.g. SB Warmth, Kor Firewalker, Aven Riftwatcher, Umezawa's Jitte) or spell disruption (SB Leyline of Sanctity, 4th Thalia, SB Thorn of Amethyst).
    Good suggestions, thx! I'm also considering moving swords to the md.

Winter Maze

Isn't Morophon the Boundless basically Boros Battleshaper 5-6. It can also be cheated out with both Didgeridoo and Captain, pumps and cheaps all your soldiers and the deck seems very reliant on having a Boros in hand so more copies couldn't hurt.

It's atleast better than the 4/4 changeling that you have to sac if you don't have a creature to champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    Isn't Morophon the Boundless basically Boros Battleshaper 5-6. It can also be cheated out with both Didgeridoo and Captain, pumps and cheaps all your soldiers and the deck seems very reliant on having a Boros in hand so more copies couldn't hurt.

It's atleast better than the 4/4 changeling that you have to sac if you don't have a creature to champion.
    100% yes I'll be running him on Tues. I only own one right now...think two or three is right.

Winter Maze

Winter Maze

Winter Maze

Thread Information