Thread: [SCD] Phyrexian Portal

[SCD] Phyrexian Portal

Phyrexian Portal {3}
    Artifact
    {3}: If your library has ten or more cards in it, target opponent looks at the top ten cards of your library and separates them into two face-down piles. Exile one of those piles. Search the other pile for a card, put it into your hand, then shuffle the rest of that pile into your library.

~

MUD decks have been playing Kuldotha Forgemaster with a suite of silver bullets like Spine Of Ish Sah, Blightsteel Colossus, and Sundering Titan - this strategy makes Phyrexian Portal unplayable since you would be exiling your Forgemaster bullets.

Traxos was just recently printed, and seems like a good replacement for Forgemaster, along with Wurmcoil Engine, Steel Hellkite, Lodestone Golem, we're approaching a new MUD archetype. In this more straightforward aggro shell, could Phyrexian Portal find a home?

The best way for your opponent to split the cards is 50/50, each pile's quality relatively even. The player who controls Phyrexian Portal is ultimately the one choosing the pile, so you have a 50/50 chance of getting the best of the 10 cards. I think the card selection power is kind of insane. The biggest drawback is paying 3 mana to activate. However with Cloudposts mana in the deck maybe this isn't so terrible in the later game.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: [SCD] Phyrexian Portal

Quote Originally Posted by Troll_ov_Grimness View Post
    Phyrexian Portal {3}
    Artifact
    {3}: If your library has ten or more cards in it, target opponent looks at the top ten cards of your library and separates them into two face-down piles. Exile one of those piles. Search the other pile for a card, put it into your hand, then shuffle the rest of that pile into your library.

~

MUD decks have been playing Kuldotha Forgemaster with a suite of silver bullets like Spine Of Ish Sah, Blightsteel Colossus, and Sundering Titan - this strategy makes Phyrexian Portal unplayable since you would be exiling your Forgemaster bullets.

Traxos was just recently printed, and seems like a good replacement for Forgemaster, along with Wurmcoil Engine, Steel Hellkite, Lodestone Golem, we're approaching a new MUD archetype. In this more straightforward aggro shell, could Phyrexian Portal find a home?

The best way for your opponent to split the cards is 50/50, each pile's quality relatively even. The player who controls Phyrexian Portal is ultimately the one choosing the pile, so you have a 50/50 chance of getting the best of the 10 cards. I think the card selection power is kind of insane. The biggest drawback is paying 3 mana to activate. However with Cloudposts mana in the deck maybe this isn't so terrible in the later game.
    I'm not sure why an aggro mud shell would want this? Why not play something aggressive like Karn?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Draw a card from a selection of 5 might be better than reveal 2 and draw it next turn, if it's something you actually want

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Second drawback is quite limited activation, no more then 6-7 times which exiles 35 cards remember that your CQ drop every activation, so even after 3 times your CQ drops down by 15 best cards from top. I don't think it will be better then staff of domination or any 4 Mana 'arena effect'

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Nevermind, was reading it wrong.

The effect is decent but at 6 mana it's hard to work into any strategy.

Thread Information