Thread: So is this forum officially dead?

Hybrid View

So is this forum officially dead?

Hi!

So what’s going on? Not even the B/R thread is active anymore. Is everyone on Discord now, or what?

Re: So is this forum officially dead?

Hopefully not, if Im ever posting a report its gonna be here, although while I enjoyed the slower paced forum its a bit too stale, on the other hand there is not much to discuss for someone who has been around forever, the discussion on Discord // FB just reflects the evolution through time, fast, unstructured, mostly not worth participating in or reading through... Also the demographics of legacy changes in contrast to the revival of ~2010 and the veterans mostly present here were taken over by newer generation or just ceased to care... So.. Maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

It's mix of things, Discord, Facebook, the prices pushing newer players out while older players have children and settle. I don't play as much as I use to and when I go in to play half the old guard is gone with no new faces. Once that would have bothered me, now it just feels normal.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

The harsh reality is that forums really started becoming obsolete about a decade ago, because as it turns out it is simpler to use social media to do the work of forums (see also Wizards shutting down their forums in ~2015 and r/magicTCG becoming its effective replacement, although admittedly that was 3-4 years later than it should have been).

The survivors will be the larger forums and those that sell products (the latter because of ownership, really). Hosting costs are rather expensive as well, which doesn't help.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

2012-2019: "Legacy is dying!" 2018-2019: "The Source is dying!"

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Folk Punk Pirate
    Oct 2007
    Mannheim, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    doesn't make any of that statements less true unfortunately...
    Sneaky Pirates of Doom - Not really a Legacy Team anymore.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Magic players who use forums are dying.

Kids these days don't even know what a forum is. "oh u mean a reddit thread? Insta story?"

The death of legacy is totally a myth, at least in Stockholm. We have new players comming i from modern all the time to our legacy league. Saving for a couple of duals to play a tier 1 two color deck is no problem if you got a job. The convergence of the formats due to new printings have been good for legacy. Legacy also is resilient to not get overun by new cards, merely ’stirred’.

On the other hand the migration to old school is almost totally halted given the prices of ABU cards (here in sweden ar least, with the silly ABU restrictions). Actually there have been an influx of old school players who rediscover magic through old school then eventually buy into an actually fun format.

Legacy is so good right now. I think those of you who feel that legacy is boring, you just need a break. Its no problem to change hobbies once in a while and then come back to it.

Quote Originally Posted by JackaBo View Post
    The death of legacy is totally a myth, at least in Stockholm. We have new players comming i from modern all the time to our legacy league. Saving for a couple of duals to play a tier 1 two color deck is no problem if you got a job. The convergence of the formats due to new printings have been good for legacy. Legacy also is resilient to not get overun by new cards, merely ’stirred’.

On the other hand the migration to old school is almost totally halted given the prices of ABU cards (here in sweden ar least, with the silly ABU restrictions). Actually there have been an influx of old school players who rediscover magic through old school then eventually buy into an actually fun format.

Legacy is so good right now. I think those of you who feel that legacy is boring, you just need a break. Its no problem to change hobbies once in a while and then come back to it.
    I came back a few months ago to Legacy after a few years of only playing OldSchool, and I must say that it feels much more boring than when I left it.

I thought everybody in Sweden liked the ABU restrictions... But I understand it. Although some of my decks are Swedish legal, I have always prefered full-proxy tournaments. I like old cards, but I don't expect everybody to like them and be able to spend that much in cardboard.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by JackaBo View Post

Agree fully with all of this (allthough the format's popularity is of course locally varying), good point on the bridging to modern being actually helpful for the format. And Legacy has been good for the last year, no clearly oppressive no 1 deck making the format stale and impossible to break, rather the opposite with lots of trends and brews developing accelerated by many new enabling cards printed..

Quote Originally Posted by pettdan View Post
    Agree fully with all of this (allthough the format's popularity is of course locally varying), good point on the bridging to modern being actually helpful for the format. And Legacy has been good for the last year, no clearly oppressive no 1 deck making the format stale and impossible to break, rather the opposite with lots of trends and brews developing accelerated by many new enabling cards printed..
    Seems like Maverick and Canadian are comming back in style. What can possibly be wrong!?

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Observation from today's check of The Source:

The most recent comment in a thread for a Deck to Beat is now over a month old. One of the decks to beat hasn't had any comments since January.

You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    Observation from today's check of The Source:

The most recent comment in a thread for a Deck to Beat is now over a month old. One of the decks to beat hasn't had any comments since January.

There are two parts to this: The first is that, across most of the world, paper tournaments aren't happening because of the pandemic. The second is that conversation is occurring, but it's occurring in other places. The MTGLegacy subreddit, for example, is very active. I try to steer people here when they want primers. This site is still the best for those.

Thread Information