Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So is this forum officially dead?

Re: So is this forum officially dead?

For what I have seen, the aggressive reprint policy and the aggressive publishing of new sets was too much for the older people. Some of my friends sold their collections while some traded all of the reprintable stuff to Old School and Alpha to prevent the massive loss of collection value.

And without own Legacy decks, there is not so much interest to refresh forum topics anymore.

People are getting old, and the Old school is where they can live up their childhood again.
    No need to fear the loss of collection value or keep track of billion new sets in a year.

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by raudo View Post
    And without own Legacy decks, there is not so much interest to refresh forum topics anymore.
    Yeah, for a different reason the same applies to me. I can only play online and when arena was out for public beta I sold my decks on MTGO (not wanting to be the last guy out and lose all of the value of the collection), that was the end of legacy for me. This forum is my last link to it.

If WOTC are ever clear on their intentions for the two platforms I may get into it again, but as long as they are equivocal about the future, no chance.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

I've seen two main camps of people who have been playing for 10+ years and didn't quit: people who stick with new magic and people who don't.

People who don't like what magic turned into (hyper-creature, planeswalker-centric) have mostly switched into Old School and to some extent Vintage, although even the Vintage format has changed into what new-magic has become so is driving away old players.

People who are okay with new magic have mostly migrated to Modern, especially with the power boost of Modern Horizons, because even though it is more creature+planeswalker oriented than Legacy used to be, it has the same overall power level feel as Legacy 12ish years ago. It also has a wide-open format feel that Legacy used to.

Every Legacy player I am friends with from about 12ish years ago have expressed that they don't find the format exciting like it used to be and as a result don't play almost at all. The games can still be fun but decks have become so streamlined that you can't play bad cards unless they insta-win with their associated combo piece. I think that's really the reason I quit Legacy (and by extension don't use the Legacy section of this forum anymore), I really enjoyed brewing decks with kooky synergies where playing cards that sucked on their own had the payoff of being really good together (Zur The Enchanter with Pemmin's Aura is a good example of neither card being game-breaking on their own but together formed a really good combo at the time). Now it's easybake oven CheatyEffect+OverpoweredCreature that win as soon as they land. Once the decks become as streamlined as that it just isn't as interesting to come here and talk about the possibility of using 1 less Ponder for 1 more Counterspell.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Question to Administators - how big is database under this forum ? Maybe some patronite for archive database under forum, to not lost all the thoughts and informations about format / decks and history.

I found out that forum like portals (i.e theSource like) will rise again after few years since all social media sources like twitter / reddit / fb / discord - are to dynamical to be complete information, so after sort period of time (like 1-2 years) people seeking in google better sources. So after few years it is possible to rise from archives.

The death of legacy is totally a myth, at least in Stockholm. We have new players comming i from modern all the time to our legacy league. Saving for a couple of duals to play a tier 1 two color deck is no problem if you got a job. The convergence of the formats due to new printings have been good for legacy. Legacy also is resilient to not get overun by new cards, merely ’stirred’.

On the other hand the migration to old school is almost totally halted given the prices of ABU cards (here in sweden ar least, with the silly ABU restrictions). Actually there have been an influx of old school players who rediscover magic through old school then eventually buy into an actually fun format.

Legacy is so good right now. I think those of you who feel that legacy is boring, you just need a break. Its no problem to change hobbies once in a while and then come back to it.

Quote Originally Posted by JackaBo View Post
    The death of legacy is totally a myth, at least in Stockholm. We have new players comming i from modern all the time to our legacy league. Saving for a couple of duals to play a tier 1 two color deck is no problem if you got a job. The convergence of the formats due to new printings have been good for legacy. Legacy also is resilient to not get overun by new cards, merely ’stirred’.

On the other hand the migration to old school is almost totally halted given the prices of ABU cards (here in sweden ar least, with the silly ABU restrictions). Actually there have been an influx of old school players who rediscover magic through old school then eventually buy into an actually fun format.

Legacy is so good right now. I think those of you who feel that legacy is boring, you just need a break. Its no problem to change hobbies once in a while and then come back to it.
    I came back a few months ago to Legacy after a few years of only playing OldSchool, and I must say that it feels much more boring than when I left it.

I thought everybody in Sweden liked the ABU restrictions... But I understand it. Although some of my decks are Swedish legal, I have always prefered full-proxy tournaments. I like old cards, but I don't expect everybody to like them and be able to spend that much in cardboard.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by JackaBo View Post

Agree fully with all of this (allthough the format's popularity is of course locally varying), good point on the bridging to modern being actually helpful for the format. And Legacy has been good for the last year, no clearly oppressive no 1 deck making the format stale and impossible to break, rather the opposite with lots of trends and brews developing accelerated by many new enabling cards printed..

Quote Originally Posted by pettdan View Post
    Agree fully with all of this (allthough the format's popularity is of course locally varying), good point on the bridging to modern being actually helpful for the format. And Legacy has been good for the last year, no clearly oppressive no 1 deck making the format stale and impossible to break, rather the opposite with lots of trends and brews developing accelerated by many new enabling cards printed..
    Seems like Maverick and Canadian are comming back in style. What can possibly be wrong!?

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Observation from today's check of The Source:

The most recent comment in a thread for a Deck to Beat is now over a month old. One of the decks to beat hasn't had any comments since January.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    Observation from today's check of The Source:

The most recent comment in a thread for a Deck to Beat is now over a month old. One of the decks to beat hasn't had any comments since January.

There are two parts to this: The first is that, across most of the world, paper tournaments aren't happening because of the pandemic. The second is that conversation is occurring, but it's occurring in other places. The MTGLegacy subreddit, for example, is very active. I try to steer people here when they want primers. This site is still the best for those.

Google Docs has pretty much replaced the need for primers from here.

The bigger issue is that specific forums don't work in today's world, you have to be like Reddit to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Google Docs has pretty much replaced the need for primers from here.

The bigger issue is that specific forums don't work in today's world, you have to be like Reddit to survive.
    It's actually why I prefer these forums: I don't have to deal with all the other garbage.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thread Information