Thread: [WAR Spoilers] Keanu Reeves, Dinosaur Cowboy

[WAR Spoilers] Keanu Reeves, Dinosaur Cowboy

Keanu, because it's NEOform....yeah it's a real stretch but Monogreen Pitch World just doesn't have the same ring.

4 Allosaurus Rider
    4 Neoform
    4 Eldritch Evolution
    4 Summoner's Pact
    2 Griselbrand
    4 Borborygmos Enraged

4 Chancellor of the Tangle
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Manamorphose

4 Summoning Trap
    4 Nourishing Shoal
    2 Zacama, Primal Calamity

4 Dryad Arbor
    2 Breeding Pool
    4 Misty Rainforest
    1 Steam Vents
    1 Hallowed Fountain
    3 Island
    1 Forest

Basic idea is clear, it's an Eldritch Evolution deck with 4 extra copies of Evolution. But Neoform being 2cmc inspires me to try to make the deck run as fast as possible. So you want a same-turn kill from Griselbrand-->Shoals-->Second Rider+Neoform/Evolution into Borborygmos and dump your lands.

Borborygmos pitches to Shoal for 8, pitches to Rider, chains into Griselbrand (Evolution) or Zacama (either), and can be hit off Trap. When Griselbrand won't work, Rider can be chained directly into Borborygmos as a solid threat that murders the board constantly and provides incredible reach.

Zacama is carefully chosen based on Griselbrand math. +9 life from starting is two more activations. By the time higher cmcs offer more value, you've drawn your whole deck anyway (minus 3 cards). This is extremely convenient, because it also means Zacama can be Evolutioned from Rider, and either Neoformed or Evolutioned from Griselbrand/Borborygmos.

Summoner's Pact is Riders 5-8 so that we have full redundancy of both combo pieces; and fetches Zacama for Shoal.

Summoning Trap provides protection at one of two vulnerable points in the combo: casting Rider, and casting Neoform. Removal cannot stop the combo since we get to hold priority once Rider is out, and then sacrifice it as part of the cost of the spell. Removal on Griselbrand or Borborygmos can be troublesome, but we can finish their parts in the combo at instant speed in response. If Neoform is countered, you're in trouble but if Rider is countered you at least have the chance to back it up by cheating a free fatty into play.

I don't like the land setup; fetches and shocks affect Griselbrand math and it's difficult to balance the numbers between Borborygmos and so many pitch cards. Simian Spirit Guide feels iffy. He only works with Evolution or Manamorphose, but a fast mana effect is needed to go off Turn 1 or 2, or else it isn't possible to play the second Neoform. I may possibly go to 3 SSG. Another option is adding some number of Fire-lit Thickets to provide a filter.

A singleton Wild Cantor as a Pact target could provide mana fixing, or 2-4 could provide ramp for the combo turn. Not sure about implementation yet.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: [WAR Spoilers] Keanu Reeves, Dinosaur Cowboy

Hurricaneshand from Salvation. I liked your suggestions on there but I don't really like that board. Here's my updated list from there. Downside of Dryad Arbor is that he doesn't allow a turn 1 kill. But there is upside because he is land that can be pitched to Rider.

Nourishing Lich 9001:

Maindeck (60)
    3 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Allosaurus Rider
    4 Chancellor of the Tangle
    4 Borborygmos Enraged
    2 Griselbrand
    4 Autochthon Wurm
    4 Summoner's Pact
    4 Incubation // Incongruity
    4 Neoform
    2 Manamorphose
    4 Nourishing Shoal
    4 Eldritch Evolution
    4 Botanical Sanctum
    2 Breeding Pool
    2 Forest
    4 Gemstone Mine
    1 Island
    4 Misty Rainforest

Sideboard (0)

Shared via TopDecked MTG

https://www.topdecked.me/decks/52e2a...1-a1c50ef488e7
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Did random goldfishing on Topdecked this morning at work. Pretty rough data but out of 55 attempts here were the percentages of making Griselbrand:
    T1 12 times 21%
    T2 14 Times 25%
    T3 21 Times 38%
    T4+ 8 Times 14%

All on the play unmolested
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Those are some interesting numbers.

I like Incubation a lot; I think I would not run it maindeck personally, but it's completely solid and fits in the maindeck well.

I like Zacama over Wurm because it can be put into play if needed; the specific abilities don't add anything to the combo, but it is a solid alternate wincon on it's own. Wurm is good for a strict Griselbrand-Shoal optimization.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I'm not completely sold honestly on incubation. I wish it could get lands. There were a number of hands that had both combo pieces but 1 land and if incubation could find land it maybe increases the turn 2 number. With less manamorphose though my spirit guides are pretty weak so maybe just going to the full 4 manamorphose is the correct plan. Also I feel like the backup plan is just make Griselbrand and attack. I don't think weakening the main plan to have a very slightly better plan b is what you want to do. Wurm is a whole 6 life more than Zacama which is almost a full activation more

Jul 2009
    Cleveland

Is nourishing shoal better than children of korliss? I guess getting 1 white mana is tougher than shoal + green card.
    @turingTested on twitter
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    これは水である。

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I've been hearing this deck has taken off a bit on MTGO. Lists seem pretty similar to the original with some changes. Has anyone here played it at all? I've just been biding my time waiting for the new stuff to come in

Thread Information