Thread: [Deck] Planeswalker Prison

[Deck] Planeswalker Prison

So, we're a fair bit of the way through the War of the Spark card reveals now, and it looks like we've got quite a few new goodies to play with in Legacy, particularly in the form of Planeswalkers. Given that a fair number of these new cards involve prison type shenanigans, it looks like we might have a new archetype available,so this is an early attempt to figure out what that deck would look like.

Here are the new hotness cards:

Dovin, Hand of Control

Karn, the Great Creator

Ashiok, Dream Render

Interplanar Beacon

Blast Zone

Now, what's interesting here is that the two colored choices are both Blue, and they're both one-sided, that is, they only affect your opponent. This lets us build a "Fairy Stompy" type of deck with access to both Force of Will and Thirst for Knowledge. This leads to a tentative list of:

Lands/Mana - 27
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x City of Traitors
    4x Interplanar Beacon
    4x Blast Zone
    7x Island
    4x Chrome Mox

Instants - 11
    4x Thirst for Knowledge
    4x Force of Will
    3x Intuition

Planeswalkers - 15
    4x Karn, the Great Creator
    4x Ashiok, Dream Render
    4x Dovin, Hand of Control
    3x Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Artifacts - 7
    4x Chalice of the Void
    1x Crucible of Worlds
    2x Sorcerous Spyglass

Sideboard - 15
    1x Mycosynth Lattice
    1x Grafdigger's Cage
    1x Trinisphere
    1x Tormod's Crypt
    1x Ensnaring Bridge
    2x Sorcerous Spyglass
    1x Crucible of Worlds
    4x Leyline of Sanctity
    3x Surgical Extraction

The reason to play this deck over say, traditional Stompy is that here you get great card draw, multiple ways to deal with creatures on the board, all of your lock effects are asymmetrical, your win conditions are very fast once they hit play, and you get countermagic on top of all that.

I'm sure this list has many flaws, but it seems like a solid place to start. I skipped over Wasteland/Ghost Quarter because they're somewhat anti-synergistic and things like Ashiok and Karn/Lattice make a lot of Legacy land irrelevant anyways. Thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Re: [Deck] Planeswalker Prison

Concept is good.

But you need better control:
    Creature board - Ensnaring Bridge looks good to keep at bay opponent creatures far away from walkers - so probably +3 MD / 1 SB under Karn

Pernament board - Karn, the Librated ? / other options ?

What out:
    3x Intuition - any reason why it's in deck ?
    1 Crucible of Worlds MD - looks just bad.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Some other thoughts to consider:

1) Playing with Dack + Sculpting Steel
    2) Playing New Saheli to generate some blockers (and targets for potential artifact shenanigans)
    3) Playing Kaya with New Ashiok as her ultimate gets stronger and stronger will each mill+exile?
    4) Playing New Tefri (against any type of control deck)
    5) Ensnaring Bridge

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

I've been toying with a similar idea. First point - I think TfK is worse than Oath of Jace in this deck. Second, I think any blue Stompy deck should be playing Sphinx of Foresight. Synergy with FoW and Chrome Mox in a deck that overwhelmingly cares about turns 1-2 seems like an auto include.
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

Fatal - yeah, I thought about Bridges, but I wasn't sure they were needed maindeck, Dovin, Blast Zone, and Jace can all deal with creatures. I dunno, maybe they should be here. I was also worried about having too many cards in hand with the deck having so much draw. But, this would need testing. They very well may be the correct choice.

Cire - Kaya would serve no purpose here, super hard to cast, and it's not like the deck is lacking ways to win with the other 'walkers. I mean, if you ever untap with a Karn, you just get Lattice and win on the spot. I thought about Saheeli, would need to test to see if she's worth running. New Teferi is really good, but he runs into the casting cost issue, needing you to have a beacon in play to cast him. Thought about Dack and liquimetal coatings as well, just another thing that would require testing to see if it's actually good. Casting Dack is also hard because again, can only be cast off of Beacon.

Spatula - Oath is interesting, you think the Scry would be worth more than the extra draw? Maybe. I also thought about Compulsive Research here since this deck doesn't really care about instants. Sphinx is a really interesting card. I've never played with it so I can't really offer an opinion about how good/bad it is.

prison deck, artifact based, blue heavy..

4x Tezzeret, AoB?

I would simply add Karn and Saheeli to that shell.

Dovin and Ashion are definitely SB cards. One for Storm, one for control/dredge reanimator.

4x Lodestone Golem
    4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Sphere of Resistance

and the prison is served

4 Tezzeret
    2 Karn Scion
    2 new Karn

some mana stone

and let’s test what is missing

Narset has just been spoiled.
    She seems oddly playable in this shell...

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by aedemiel View Post
    Narset has just been spoiled.
    She seems oddly playable in this shell...
    Unfortunately probably not since it can't be cast off a Sol Land and Beacon.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Narset seems pretty interesting to set up a soft lock with that one land from the second Innistrad block that allows you to pay + tap to make everyone draw a card, then discard a card. Or Mikokoro, for the matter. Might be too cute, though.

As for morgan_coke's list, how exactly are you going to utilize Chrome Mox with that few artifacts? Wouldn't Mox Diamond be better here, especially if you up the CoW support? Or run at least some Azorius Signet.

That said, Karn lock might be the best wincon. If the deck was to run a white splash, Call the Gatewatch would also be an option, although Intuition might be already up to the job.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Narset seems pretty interesting to set up a soft lock with that one land from the second Innistrad block that allows you to pay + tap to make everyone draw a card, then discard a card. Or Mikokoro, for the matter. Might be too cute, though.

As for morgan_coke's list, how exactly are you going to utilize Chrome Mox with that few artifacts? Wouldn't Mox Diamond be better here, especially if you up the CoW support? Or run at least some Azorius Signet.

That said, Karn lock might be the best wincon. If the deck was to run a white splash, Call the Gatewatch would also be an option, although Intuition might be already up to the job.
    You want Crucible with Blast Zone, so I second Mox Diamond.

I picked Chrome Mox over Mox Diamond because with only 23 lands, I didn't think there were enough lands to support Diamond, but I figured 22 blue cards - many legendary - would be enough for Chrome Mox. You guys are right, there are not enough artifacts to support Mox Opal though.

I also thought about Mox Amber, but it only makes mana if you already have a 'walker out, so that seems like it's not good enough.

I think Narset absolutely goes in this deck. She's just as hard to cast as JTMS - you need either two Islands/Moxes or one+Beacon to cast him/her.

Mikokoro, Center of the Sea doesn't make a soft lock with Narset. Geier Reach Sanitarium does if you use it during their draw step. Good catch.

I dunno, maybe move the FoW's to the board and add 4x Narset?

I think if we wanted to do the white splash for baby Teferi, we'd want to replace the moxes with Azorius Signets and some of the lands with Skycloud Expanse.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    I picked Chrome Mox over Mox Diamond because with only 23 lands, I didn't think there were enough lands to support Diamond, but I figured 22 blue cards - many legendary - would be enough for Chrome Mox. You guys are right, there are not enough artifacts to support Mox Opal though.
    Brain fart on my part. I thought about Mox Opal when reading about Chrome Mox.

And please don't run the OD filterlands, those are garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    You want Crucible with Blast Zone, so I second Mox Diamond.
    Intuition can also grab a bunch of utility lands to play with CoW. Academy Ruins, Tabernacle, GQ/Wasteland, Maze of Ith, etc.

CoW would also be a combo with Geier Reach Sanitarium where you can replay discarded lands. Might be worth it to make it a 1-of, especially with Narset.

Thread Information