Thread: Treefolk

Sep 2011

Treefolk

When you think of Forest.dec, who doesn't want to smash face with giant Treefolks?

Normally we can't have nice things because Legacy is too efficient, but let's see if we can slow the game down enough to have some fun.

Key pieces:
    Chalice of the Void - wins at Legacy

Thorn of Amethyst - more hating on spells

Heartwood Storyteller - stop playing Brainstorm already

Choke - nice Islands bro

Wasteland - nice $600 lands

Cavern of Souls - don't Counterspell my Ironwood Treefolk

Huatli, the Sun's Heart (2G/W Planeswalker - 7 loyalty. Doran's static ability. -3: gain life equal to highest toughness you control)
    With an easier-to-cast Doran that's tougher to remove, it just got easier to play Toughness.dec

Here's a draft list

//Mana: 26
    4 Mox Diamond
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Wasteland
    3 Cavern of Souls
    2 Windswept Heath
    6 Forest
    1 Dryad Arbor

//Lock Pieces: 8
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Thorn of Amethyst

//Spells: 4
    4 Green Sun's Zenith

//Treefolks: 22
    4 Bosk Banneret
    4 Heartwood Storyteller
    3 Tilling Treefolk
    1 Doran, the Siege Tower
    4 Leaf-Crowned Elder
    2 Unstoppable Ash
    2 Wickerbough Elder
    2 Timber Protector

//Optional 61st card:
    1 Huatli, the Sun's Heart

//Sideboard: 15
    3 Choke
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Lignify
    2 Faerie Macabre
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Dungrove Elder
    1 Deadwood Treefolk
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Sylvan Library

Tilling Treefolk has synergy with Wasteland, fetches, City of Traitors, and Mox Diamond.

Heartwood Storyteller and Leaf-Crowned Elder are card advantage engines.

Unstoppable Ash is not only a big threat but can Champion for value, resetting Tilling Treefolk or Wickerbough Elder or even turning off Heartwood if you need to cast some spells.

Doran has obvious synergy with 1/3s, 3/5s and Ash's +0/+5. It can be fetched with GSZ or cast off Caverns/Mox mana.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Re: Treefolk

This is a cool idea, but I think the synergy of Leaf-Crowned Elder will prove to be less valuable than the raw power of Choke, so I'd just go full-hate and jam Choke main. I think if the intent is to try to make this deck as competitive as possible, the natural conclusion will be to drop the Treefolk tribe synergies and play only the best one or two Treefolk cards alongside other, better green creatures. So, essentially, you'll arrive at Sylvan Plug. There are a lot of ways to build that deck, though, and there's still plenty of territory to explore. Heartwood Storyteller is probably the best of the Treefolk, giving you value in most matchups.

I really like leaf crowned elder but not sold on tilling or storyteller. Chrome mox over diamond too I think. I'd try to make it more aggressive. Gsz and thorn is rough.

Deck name suggestion: friends of Sir mox-a-lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Sep 2011

Tilling Treefolk land recursion is the reason I considered Mox Diamond over Chrome Mox. It negates the drawback. It also lets you recycle Wastelands and Cities. Getting to reuse Wastelands makes this little 1/3 one of the more Legacy-relevant treefolk abilities. You can even reuse the ETB trigger via Champion shenanigans with Unstoppable Ash. Maybe it's still just a bad Ramunap Excavator...

I could play Thalia, Guardian of Thraben instead of Thorn to have a higher creature count, though Thorn is easier to cast off Sol Lands. Maybe GSZ could reduce to 3 copies, but I think the GSZ toolbox is a big thing monogreen stompy has going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    This is a cool idea, but I think the synergy of Leaf-Crowned Elder will prove to be less valuable than the raw power of Choke, so I'd just go full-hate and jam Choke main. I think if the intent is to try to make this deck as competitive as possible, the natural conclusion will be to drop the Treefolk tribe synergies and play only the best one or two Treefolk cards alongside other, better green creatures. So, essentially, you'll arrive at Sylvan Plug. There are a lot of ways to build that deck, though, and there's still plenty of territory to explore. Heartwood Storyteller is probably the best of the Treefolk, giving you value in most matchups.
    These are good suggestions, but yeah it would eventually turn into Sylvan Plug. Are any of the Treefolk synergies worth keeping in a Sylvan Plug variant? Even Doran/Huatli + Unstoppable Ash? Is that just win-more?

Storyteller is definitely the best. I should try to get the creature count over 30 to break the symmetry. Even if it dies immediately it's at least a 2-for-1.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Just a thought: you might actually be able to swing Ensnaring Bridge in this deck due to the low toughness of most attackers. Doran can attack even with an empty hand, most of them can attack after your draw for the turn. Your creatures should outclass anything fair and Doran neuters True Name Nemesis already. It would require some re-tooling, but not much. Casting GSZ through your own Thorns seems a little tricky, so that would be the natural place to work on Bridge slots. It could be a sideboard strategy against decks like Show and Tell/Reanimator. I was going to suggest Treefolk Harbinger, but it doesn't play well with Chalice@1. You could always GSZ for it, maybe 1 copy would be alright. It grabs your Lignify and could grab singletons of cards like Nameless Inversion or Crib Swap.

Looks like a blast to play!
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Where's Mannici, the Fevered Dream?
    Or should I say: Memeici.

Thread Information