Thread: Karn's Garage

Karn's Garage

So new karn can crew vehicles like parhelion ii or smuggler's copter with his +1. I think they printed some other vehicles too.

Synergies:
    Liquimetal coating plus dack steals things. With karn it blows up lands. Can be welded for something better.

Dack and copter discard things to get welded or daretti'd in.

Interplanar beacon let's you run out turn 2 walkers.

Edit: Removed punishing fire for brainstorm.

4 liquimetal coating
    4 karn, the Great Creator
    4 dack fayden
    2 teferi, Time Raveler
    1 daretti, scrap savant

4 goblin welder
    3 smuggler's copter
    2 enlightened tutor
    1 parhelion ii
    1 mycosynth lattice
    1 platinum emperion
    1 inkwell leviathan

3 grim lavamancer
    1 ethersworn canonist
    1 ensnaring Bridge
    4 brainstorm

2 chrome mox
    4 ancient tomb
    4 interplanar beacon
    13 rwu lands

SB:
    1 sword of sinew and steel
    1 mycosynth lattice
    1 parhelion ii
    1 wurmcoil engine
    1 grafdigger's cage
    4 leyline of the void
    2 helm of obedience
    5?

Option 2...

4 liquimetal coating
    4 karn, the Great Creator
    4 dack fayden
    1 shenanigans
    2 abrade

1 teferi, Time Raveler
    4 goblin welder
    2 smuggler's copter
    2 enlightened tutor
    1 wurmcoil engine
    1 inkwell leviathan
    1 sphinx of the steel wind
    3 grindstone
    3 painter's servant
    2 pyroblast
    1 ethersworn canonist
    1 phyrexian revoker
    1 goblin engineer
    2 chrome mox
    4 ancient tomb
    4 interplanar beacon
    4 arid mesa
    1 plains
    1 mountain
    2 scalding tarn
    2 plateau
    1 tundra
    1 volcanic island

SB:
    1 parhelion ii
    1 tormod's crypt
    2 surgical extraction
    1 deafening silence
    1 grindstone
    1 painter's servant
    2 swords to plowshares
    2 pyroblast
    1 ensnaring bridge
    1 mycosynth lattice
    1 pithing needle
    1 blood moon
    Last edited by kinda; 03-31-2020 at 05:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: Karn's Garage

Gamble could also be an option.
    -rob

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Interplanar beacon let's you run out turn 2 walkers.
    How? You put 1 mana in and tap Beacon to make a total of 2 mana. Assuming the first mana came from a land, that's two mana in for two mana out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrislegend View Post
    How? You put 1 mana in and tap Beacon to make a total of 2 mana. Assuming the first mana came from a land, that's two mana in for two mana out...
    Well with tomb or mox.
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

It does let you cast Dack turn 2 off a Sol Land.

bruizar

What's the plan with Parhelion? Use Karn to animate it to avoid the crew cost and cash in free angels? Does that work? I would suggest either
    1 or 2 Gorilla Shaman (dead without liquimetal coating but then it just crews the looter scooter). You are kind of low on one drops and don't run the full sol land suite
    1 or 2 Karn, Silver Golem (Can turn parhelion into an attacker too)
    1-1 split of both

Is Teferi solely used to fight Force of Will and Spell Pierce-like cards or is there a deeper plan for it?

Sep 2011

It filters colorless from Ancient Tomb, which allows you to take a Sol Land manabase and curve turn 1 resistor into turn 2 Walker, something that was previously impossible in Legacy without card-disadvantage Moxen (or doing something like turn 1 Signet/Talisman instead of the resistor).

I object on different grounds. If you're going to play Beacon + Sol Lands, play Chalice. Ancient Tomb into Liquimetal Coating or Smuggler's Copter is not that good.

Also, this deck is trying to do too many things at once, randomly including Punishing Fire to be even more prone to GY hate and putting the manabase into a 4th color.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    What's the plan with Parhelion? Use Karn to animate it to avoid the crew cost and cash in free angels? Does that work?
    It works with Copter too. Karn turns Smuggler's Copter into a 2/2 artifact creature. Copter already happens to have other creature abilities and never loses those, so it's a 2/2 flying looter (instead of 3/3).

The same thing happens with Parhelion II, only the interaction is much more insane. Instead of skipping a measly Crew 1 to become a smaller creature, you skip Crew 4 and get an 8/8 flying, first strike, vigilance that makes 2 angels (16 power flying out of nowhere). Karn, Silver Golem or March of the Machines would do the same thing too. March also turns Liquimetal Coating into "T: destroy target land".

That interaction is so strong that if you're going to include Welder and it, it should be the deck's primary gameplan. You're not going to get there just by looting. Run more tutors for it (e.g. Entomb, Gamble, Fabricate). If you don't have Chalice, play more Brainstorms.

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    What's the plan with Parhelion? Use Karn to animate it to avoid the crew cost and cash in free angels? Does that work? I would suggest either
    1 or 2 Gorilla Shaman (dead without liquimetal coating but then it just crews the looter scooter). You are kind of low on one drops and don't run the full sol land suite
    1 or 2 Karn, Silver Golem (Can turn parhelion into an attacker too)
    1-1 split of both

Is Teferi solely used to fight Force of Will and Spell Pierce-like cards or is there a deeper plan for it?
    You can use Karn to crew it with his +1, then swing for 16 since he makes it an 8/8 too. Good suggestions!

@FTW/Mistercakes: I wasn't sure which tutor would be best so I went with enlightened tutor in my op list. I figured between copter/dack/daretti if I need to then discard it I could. This might not be right...

Winter Maze

I love this deck idea, and I find it very interesting and challenging to play. It's really asking for interaction with the opponent and lines are sometimes quite hard to find.
    I adjusted the deck to my tastes with the following :

// 60 Maindeck
    // 21 Artifact
    4 Lotus Petal -> much needed for early planes + feed the welder with something in the yard
    2 Great Furnace
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Ichor Wellspring -> i just love these. It's very stupid with welder + it's a quite okay +1 karn target
    4 Smuggler's Copter
    4 Liquimetal Coating
    1 Thorn of Amethyst -> no more space in the side eh
    1 Parhelion II -> never saw it in action so I keep it for the moment
    2 Chrome Mox

// 10 Creature
    3 Imperial Recruiter -> consistency + crew for copter
    4 Goblin Welder
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Gorilla Shaman -> mandatory here. Not more than two, because they are useless without coating, but still...

// 18 Land -> not so sure about the manabase. The interplanar beacon are soooo good. The two city of traitors are needed for t2 daretti or dack
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    3 Mountain
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Swamp
    1 Scalding Tarn
    4 Interplanar Beacon
    1 Island

// 11 Planeswalker
    4 Karn, the Great Creator
    3 Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast -> arguably my fav planeswalker. Fits perfectly in the deck. Synergy with coating. Crew for copter. Defend itself.
    3 Dack Fayden
    1 Daretti, Scrap Savant

// 15 Sideboard The problem with the whish board is that you often want to keep at least one copy of your side artifacts... in the side.
    // 10 Artifact
    SB: 2 Thorn of Amethyst -> we are very weak to fast combo. I would prefer one more...
    SB: 2 Tormod's Crypt -> i would prefer one more
    SB: 2 Trinisphere
    SB: 1 Mycosynth Lattice -> moved to the side as it is useless without karn anyway
    SB: 1 Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 1 Great Furnace
    SB: 1 Pithing Needle

// 1 Creature
    SB: 1 Wurmcoil Engine

// 4 Instant
    SB: 2 Pyrokinesis
    SB: 2 Pyroblast

All the games are going into grindy modes when you are not loosing, because your main wincondition is the land destruction and mana denial. It's a blast to play tho, and I don't feel very weak vs something in particular, except from fast combo game 1.

Daretti does seem very good! Let us know how it goes.

Winter Maze

Sep 2011

Is there any room for Painter's Servant + Grindstone here as an alternate path to victory? It works well in a Welder shell and red-based Sol Land manabase without Chalice. Imperial Painter also runs Smuggler's Copter to get more value from all the 1/xs, so there's some natural synergy.

//Planewalker: 8
    3 Dack Fayden
    4 Karn, the Great Creator
    1 Daretti, Scrap Savant

//Creatures: 12
    4 Goblin Welder
    2 Gorilla Shaman
    3 Painter's Servant
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Inkwell Leviathan

//Artifacts: 14
    4 Mox Opal
    3 Grindstone
    3 Liquimetal Coating
    3 Smuggler's Copter
    1 Ensnaring Bridge

//Spells: 8
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Ponder

//Lands: 18
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Arid Mesa
    3 Volcanic Island
    1 Tundra
    1 Plateau
    1 Island
    1 Mountain

//Sideboard: 15
    3 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 Parhelion II
    1 Liquimetal Coating
    1 Grindstone
    1 Painter's Servant

Is that stretching the deck too far? Between Enlightened Tutor and Karn, there should be enough ways to search up either the Painter's Stone combo or toolbox answers. There are a lot of 3-ofs, with 1 copy SB. You can draw them naturally, Enlightened Tutor for them, or get them with Karn.

Artifact count is 21, so Chrome Mox would be terribad but maybe Mox Opal won't suck.

I took Parhelion II out of the maindeck because it's unplayable unless you have both Welder and a way to get it into the graveyard (e.g. Entomb or ETutor + looter effect), and then you also need Karn to crew it. It either needs the deck completely built around it or is too unreliable, so I left it as a Karn target in the SB.

The white splash gives you Enlightened Tutor (consistency) and Ethersworn Canonist, both of which might help a lot. Canonist is the cleanest answer to storm. Thorn of Amethyst really hurts us too, with the high noncreature count. 5 mana planeswalkers are slow. Another option is to cut the white splash and play Gamble instead.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Is there any room for Painter's Servant + Grindstone here as an alternate path to victory? It works well in a Welder shell and red-based Sol Land manabase without Chalice. Imperial Painter also runs Smuggler's Copter to get more value from all the 1/xs, so there's some natural synergy.
    @FTW: when I saw this deck first, which btw seems very interesting and I'll keep reading about it, I thought it was probably inspired by Hollywood's Painter list using Karn and Liquimetal coating (he mentions later going up to 2-3 copies) with Gorilla Shaman, you can have a look here: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...=1#post1067804
    So I'd say yes, the list can probably move in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    The white splash gives you Enlightened Tutor (consistency) and Ethersworn Canonist, both of which might help a lot. Canonist is the cleanest answer to storm. Thorn of Amethyst really hurts us too, with the high noncreature count. 5 mana planeswalkers are slow. Another option is to cut the white splash and play Gamble instead.
    This ^. The ubr version could run spell pierce I suppose...

Winter Maze

Sword of sinew and steel combos with liquimetal coating...hm...

Winter Maze

Not at its best in Karn's Garage. It seems better in Strawberry Shortcake to be honest.

Rest in Peace allows Karn to play and replay every artifact that gets countered or destroyed.

It also enables Helm of Obedience combo. 3x maindeck

I played this to a 4-1 finish on MTGO, narrowly losing a round to RUG delver because they drew tons of threats I couldn't keep up with. Some interesting plays with the deck, and tons of synergy. I'm considering smugglers copter, and the 4 abrade in the sideboard were useless. The deck already has enough ways to blow up permanents, it was a hold over from the painter list I started with, didn't think about the sideboard as much as I should have. I'd say 1-2 more ensnaring bridge in the board would be better, and either sphere of resistance or trinisphere. Keep maybe 1 abrade in the board.

4 goblin welder
    4 goblin engineer
    3 shenanigans
    3 Liquimetal coating
    3 painter's servant
    3 grindstone
    2 lotus petal
    2 mox opal
    3 Grim Monolith
    4 Karn, The Great Creator
    1 Wurmcoil Engine
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 pyroblast
    3 red elemental blast

4 ancient tomb
    2 city of traitors
    1 Great Furnace
    11 mountains

Sideboard
    1 tormod's crypt
    1 liquimetal coating
    1 painter's servant
    1 grindstone
    1 engineered explosives
    1 Trinisphere
    1 ensnaring bridge
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 red elemental blast
    2 sorcerous spyglass
    4 abrade

Quote Originally Posted by Jakobian1010 View Post
    I played this to a 4-1 finish on MTGO, narrowly losing a round to RUG delver because they drew tons of threats I couldn't keep up with. Some interesting plays with the deck, and tons of synergy. I'm considering smugglers copter, and the 4 abrade in the sideboard were useless. The deck already has enough ways to blow up permanents, it was a hold over from the painter list I started with, didn't think about the sideboard as much as I should have. I'd say 1-2 more ensnaring bridge in the board would be better, and either sphere of resistance or trinisphere. Keep maybe 1 abrade in the board.

4 goblin welder
    4 goblin engineer
    3 shenanigans
    3 Liquimetal coating
    3 painter's servant
    3 grindstone
    2 lotus petal
    2 mox opal
    3 Grim Monolith
    4 Karn, The Great Creator
    1 Wurmcoil Engine
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 pyroblast
    3 red elemental blast

4 ancient tomb
    2 city of traitors
    1 Great Furnace
    11 mountains

Sideboard
    1 tormod's crypt
    1 liquimetal coating
    1 painter's servant
    1 grindstone
    1 engineered explosives
    1 Trinisphere
    1 ensnaring bridge
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 red elemental blast
    2 sorcerous spyglass
    4 abrade
    Considering blue for dack? I think some copters would definitely be good.

Winter Maze

Thread Information