Thread: [SCD]Bolas's Citadel

Hybrid View

[SCD]Bolas's Citadel

One of the cards from War of the Spark looks like a pretty strong combo piece.

3BBB

Legendary Artifact

You may look at the top card of your library any time.

You may play the top card of your library. If you cast a spell this way, pay life equal to its converted mana cost rather than pay its mana cost.

{T}, Sacrifice ten nonland permanents: Each opponent loses 10 life.
    Sure, 6 mana is a lot, but the citadel is basically combining Channel and Yawgmoths' Bargain in a single card which is strong enough to enable a win if it resolves from an empty board and hand. Although there is a challenge because 'play off the top' means that topdeck lands aren't ideal.

That means it could work in some kind of GB "Belcher" deck approach where there just aren't very many lands in the deck.

4 Land Grant
    2 Bayou
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Bolas's Citadel
    4 Tendrils of Agony

Another option for dealing with the 'top deck land' issue would be a package of Thoughtlash and Enlightened Tutor to exile any undesired cards off the top while going off and Aetherflux Reservoir as a way to offset the life costs.

It might also be possible to get to a critical mass of filter cards like Ponder,Brainstorm and Preordain to both set up the combo turn, and then draw lands while going off.

I expect we'll see people trying Sensei's Divining Top/Bolas's Citadel decks in vintage.

Re: [SCD]Bolas's Citadel

You could also run some combination of Charbelcher with Mana Severance.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

The modern list that I saw making some round was: https://scontent.fsdu5-1.fna.fbcdn.n...09&oe=5D2D72BF

Not sure how good it is or if it can be converted into a better legacy list.

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    The modern list that I saw ...
    Not sure how good it is or if it can be converted into a better legacy list.
    There are certainly card-for-card upgrades like Transmute Artifact and Volcanic Island.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    There are certainly card-for-card upgrades like Transmute Artifact and Volcanic Island.
    I mean fair . . . also I guess we could play Gamble/Goblin Welder or even enlightened tutor for consistency.

Sep 2011

That Modern shell is all Trash and no Treasure (for Legacy). I wouldn't bother trying to port that shell into Legacy. We have access to so much better library manipulation, rituals and combo enablers that you could use entirely different deck engines.

Some relevant interactions with Bolas's Citadel that you can't do in Modern:

-Entomb + Goblin Welder + artifact (e.g. Mox Diamond, Great Furnace, Lion's Eye Diamond)
    Put it into play on turn 2 with mana still open.

-Show and Tell
    Self-explanatory

-Brainstorm
    Don't like your top card? Put the top 3 in your hand, then take any two cards in your hand and stack them in the order you want to cast them

-Ponder/Preordain
    Don't like your top card? Reorder them and draw one you don't want (to remove it from the library), or shuffle your library.

-Lim-Dul's Vault
    Don't like your top card? Reorder your library.

-Scroll Rack
    Don't like your top card? Stack the top few cards of your deck

-Enlightened Tutor/Personal Tutor
    Literally choose your top card to cast anything for free

-Dark Ritual, Cabal Ritual, Culling the Weak...
    Hardcast Citadel

-Thought Lash
    Get rid of cards you don't want for free

With all the library manipulation available, there's no need to play it in a 2-land deck. With enough cantrips you can get rid of unwanted topdecks (e.g. lands, extra Citadels) as needed to keep the chain going. A higher land count and cantrips also make the deck more consistent.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Aetherflux Reservoir. Seems like an auto-include. You'll never run out of life, and you have the back-up win condition of burning them for 50. EDIT: Nevermind, I just noticed Reservoir in the bottom of the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Aetherflux Reservoir. Seems like an auto-include. You'll never run out of life, and you have the back-up win condition of burning them for 50. EDIT: Nevermind, I just noticed Reservoir in the bottom of the OP.
    As long as the curve is low enough, Tendrils of agony is better.

Thread Information