Thread: Cloning Spark Double

Hybrid View

Cloning Spark Double

Suppose there's a Spark Double in play under my control that isn't copying anything and a Clone comes into play under my control.

Now I can choose to have clone can enter the battlefield as a copy of Spark Double. That means that there's another replacement effect which - it seems - means I can pick Spark Double again and so on. Eventually I'll have to copy something else or just not copy since it's a may ability.

Is that legal, and, if so, does it come into play with a +1/+1 (or loyalty) counter for each time it copied the Spark Double?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Re: Cloning Spark Double

So a 'real-world' scenario would be something like:

Lord of the Unreal on the battlefield, cast Spark Double and choose not to copy any creature.
    Then cast Phantasmal Image copying the Spark Double, which would copy the Image, which would copy the Spark Double, etc.

I don't know the answer... but was interested enough to attempt to fully grasp the question.

May 2015
    PDX

My guess would be that rather than an arbitrarily large creature, you have Clone enter as Spark Double....and you're already entered onto the battlefield so no more cloning stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    My guess would be that rather than an arbitrarily large creature, you have Clone enter as Spark Double....and you're already entered onto the battlefield so no more cloning stuff.
    The second replacement certainly happens:

706.5. An object that enters the battlefield “as a copy”or “that’s a copy”of another object becomes a copy as it enters the battlefield. It doesn’t enter the battlefield, and then become a copy of that permanent. If the text that’s being copied includes any abilities that replace the enters-the-battlefield event (such as “enters the battlefield with”or “as [this] enters the battlefield”abilities), those abilities will take effect. Also, any enters-the-battlefield triggered abilities of the copy will have a chance to trigger.
    There's potentially something similar with Dack's Duplicate and stacking dethrone.

I got a ruling on judge chat that this doesn't work. Though the reasoning seems pretty strange to me.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    I got a ruling on judge chat that this doesn't work. Though the reasoning seems pretty strange to me.
    If you can copy and paste it I could try to reason though it.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Thread Information