Thread: Superfriends Stompy

Sep 2011

Superfriends Stompy

This is a disruptive control deck abusing the Sol Land stompy shell to power out lock pieces in the forms of artifacts and planeswalkers.

Edited list:

//Lands: 20
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Interplanar Beacon
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Island
    1 Swamp

//Artifacts: 17
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Dimir Signet
    3 Trinisphere
    2 Ensnaring Bridge

//Planeswalkers: 17
    4 Ashiok, Dream Render
    4 Dovin, Hand of Control
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Karn, the Great Creator
    1 Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God

//Spells: 6
    4 Thirst for Knowledge
    2 Toxic Deluge

//Sideboard: 15
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Contagion Clasp
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 Wurmcoil Engine
    1 Helm of Obedience
    1 Trading Post
    1 Ensnaring Bridge

Main lock pieces
    Chalice - Legacy powerhouse of non-Brainstorm decks. Turn 1 to stop 1 cmc spells. Can also set on 2 vs some decks.

Trinisphere - Turn 1-2 play that makes everything cost 3, slowing down the game. Oh look, everything in our deck costs 3 anyway.

Ashiok - Neuters many Legacy decks. Static ability shuts down fetchlands and tutors. -1 hates on GY and disrupts library manipulation. Comes down as early as turn 2 (Sol Land + Interplanar Beacon, Sol Land + Signet, Mox + 2 lands)

Dovin - This deck's Thalia, Guardian of Thraben (1-sided sphere), again slowing the opponent down. -1 holds off attackers. Comes down turn 1-2.

Between those 4 pieces, the deck has a lot of early plays that just wreck Xerox.dec and combos.

Other tools

Karn - Comes online as early as turn 2. Enables an artifact wishboard of toolbox answers. His static also shuts off enemy mana rocks, Vials, equipment, enemy EEs, and some combo pieces.

Ensnaring Bridge - protects you and your Superfriends from pesky creatures

Toxic Deluge - removes creatures

Liliana - grinds out the opponent's hand and board, helps support Bridge

Jace - generally good at Magic

Thirst for Knowledge - card draw. This is a flex slot that could also be something like Intuition (tutor), Fact or Fiction (card draw), Fabricate (tutor), Flux Channeler (proliferate), Tezzeret's Gambit (draw and proliferate), Narset, Parter of Veils (draw and disrupts cantrips).

Karn Wishboard

Mycosynth Lattice - combos with Karn to disable all enemy lands (and mana rocks and mana dorks and creatures with activated abilities), essentially winning the game

Wurmcoil Engine - fat beat stick. gains back life lost to sol lands

Trading Post - versatile engine for card draw, life gain, chump blocking, and recyling dead artifacts

Engineered Explosives - kills things

Ratchet Bomb - another way to kill things.

Contagion Clasp - kills a creature and proliferates your walkers

Phyrexian Revoker - shuts off activated abilities, including enemy planeswalkers

Combo Kill

Leyline of the Void can come in post-board for any walkers or lock pieces that are suboptimal in the matchup. Then Karn can grab a singleton Helm of Obedience for the instant win.

The current build's weaknesses are probably lack of card draw and spot removal. Other cards to consider...

Force of Will - With a high blue count, but bad with Trinisphere. Depends on whether this deck is weaker to spells or aggro.

Tangle Wire - buys time for walkers

Tezzeret's Gambit - draw and proliferate

Narset, Parter of Veils - draw and disruption

Spark Double - double up on walkers. blue card for FoW.

Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast - blockers and spot removal

Karn, Scion of Urza - draws cards and makes blockers

Dack Fayden - loots through redundant multiples of planeswalkers, combos with Mycosynth Lattice
    Last edited by FTW; 05-08-2019 at 03:13 PM.

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

Re: Superfriends Stompy

I think this deck will benefit if you will kick in the butt Daretti and add Shang Tsung.
    You need a powerful Warlock to lead this superfriend team :P

Throne of Geth?

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    Throne of Geth?
    Interesting. Throne of Geth would be significantly better with a few walkers that make artifact tokens like Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast, Saheeli, the Gifted, Tezzeret the Schemer, or even Tezzeret, Artifice Master.

On its own, there isn't much worth sacrificing to proliferate. Redundant mana rocks and resistors? If you just sac itself for a 1-shot effect, Tezzeret's Gambit is better.

Sep 2011

Ok, what about this Walker suite instead (cutting the Thirst for Knowledges)

//Planeswalkers: 19
    3 Ashiok, Dream Render
    3 Dovin, Hand of Control
    2 Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    2 Tezzeret the Schemer
    2 Karn, Scion of Urza
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

//Spells: 4
    2 Throne of Geth
    2 Toxic Deluge

Plus 1 Throne SB to get with Karn.

Nov 2016
    France

MD:
    4 Chalice of he Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Dimir Signet
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Trinisphere

4 Ashiok, Dream render
    4 Narset, Part of Veils
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    3 Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    1 Karn's Bastion
    4 Interplanar Beacon
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Swamp
    1 Island
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Badlands
    1 Volcanic Island

SB:
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Defense Grid
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Trinisphere

3 Faerie Macabre
    1 Phyrexian revoker
    1 Spellskite

2 Toxic Deluge

I've been testing a bit with those walkers in this shell, my initial feelings:
    I found Narset, Parter of Veils way more impactful than expected. She finds the good stuff, even though her static ability's not always relevant. I think you're right about the deck needing ways to dig / draw, and Narset should naturally fit. I tried Impulse first, I liked the effect (instant speed was good VS Rishadan Port), which led me to her (not that one needs that to anticipate her potential).

Amongst questionable 3-cmc PWs, I had good results with LotV and Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast. Lili is key at keeping Ensnaring Bridge active and offers a decent Ult, while Daretti can kill stuff without adding chaff in the list (extra Chrome Moxen, Chalices & Signets are enough stuff to sac the turn he etbs). He can also sac Bridges, in case I'm ready to deal 6 dmg every turn with Lattice !

On the other hand I often found Dovin, Hand of Control to be underwhelming. Creature decks will have enough pressure to attack it no matter what it neutralizes, and it's Thalia-like effect doesn't buy as much time as a Trinisphere (and doesn't really combo with it either). While Narset and Ashiok's static abilities remain relevant in the mid & late game, Dovin's didn't stand out as much. He may be worth 1-2 slots however, what do I know.

I had mixed results with Lili LH, she's good at killing small stuff and provides a good Ult, but Daretti kills a more extended variety of creatures, which makes him better imho.
    Dack felt worse than Narset at digging, since he doesn't provide CA. His minus is only good when I am already winning with Lattice.
    Teferi, Time Raveler is tempting, he's the one I suspect most to be good enough in the pool, but I have no rep with it yet.

Amongst 4-cmc PWs, JtMS is very good. Its +2 ability is the one I use the most, preventing the opponent from drawing relevant spells. I like to climb up to the Ult asap. He's another library digger too.

Tezzeret AoB is worse than Narset for digging, and not clearly better than Jace to make the cut. Quality artifacts density isn't there overall.
    Karn, SoU felt very non-synergistic with Bridge, I'd rather have a PW that creates 1/1s. Still worse than Jace.
    Vraska, Golgari Queen isn't too bad as removal, but Daretti almost does the same thing for cheaper. She could be in his slot in a green variant, but is more limited than the 5-cmc version.
    Kasmina, Enigmatic Mentor is tempting, she protects the board quite well, but once again she's worse than Jace. She seems better than other 4-cmc token creators, mostly because of her mana cost and every word in the textbox fits well in the archetype.

Amongst 5-cmc PWs, well some are interesting on paper :
    Tezzeret the Seeker, Tezzeret, Artifice Master, Angrath, the Flame-Chained, Teferi, Hero of Dominaria and Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God. I'm not sure we need any of them though. Between mana denial, Daze and Thalia, I am not confident they're even castable consistently.

About the SB, Crucible has been good at ramping to 6 mana for Lattice, Crypt is an easy target, Faerie Macabre can be pitched to Mox and is a decent replacement to Leyline (I didn't have enough slots to put the Helm combo), Defense Grid is another suggestion in the vein of WAR Teferi.
    Same as you @FTW, it's a premature SB configuration.

Very curious to read your feedback and your experience with the archetype ! :)

Sep 2011

Thanks for posting! I like your list.

I also found Dovin underwhelming. I started with Dovin as a redundant sphere effect, but too many sphere effects are bad, and like you said it doesn't pair well with Trinisphere. The ideal UseCase I hand in mind was Delver, where Dovin singlehandedly holds off their one threat and and doubles the cost of their spells (significantly impeding their ability to dig, interact or land another threat). It seemed good against combo and Grixis control too, basically all the Xerox decks. But it's bad with Trini out (worse than removal), a weak draw lategame, and bad against multi-threat decks like D&T, Eldrazi, Maverick... My maindeck was too metagamed against combo and not enough against creatures.

Lili and Daretti overperformed at board control, just great synergy with the deck. I should consider 3 copies. I was worried about the BB and RB costs (Dimir Signet only does UB). Was your mana smooth?

I'll have to try out Narset. We need card draw at 2-3cc (i.e. not Jace). I had been testing things like Thirst for Knowledge, Fabricate and Tezzeret's Gambit but was never satisfied. My main reservations with Narset were thinking the static ability is redundant (we already hate on cantrips a lot) and that the UU cost might be hard (Interplanar Beacon can't fix 2 of the same color).

Jace is always good, cutting the 2nd copy felt bad. Like you said, he's better than a lot of the other 4cc options.

I did not consider Lili LH because her second and third abilities are irrelevant. She's just -2/-1 on a stick. Grixis Control can use her second ability to recur Snapcasters and Strixes, which pushes her over the top in value.

Karn SoU was an attempt to get one easy-to-cast card with both card draw and artifact-making (fodder for Throne of Geth), but I wouldn't consider it in a Throne-less list. The card selection is slow and suboptimal.

I'll test Kasmina, Enigmatic Mentor. It really depends where the remaining weaknesses are.

I don't like the 5cc walkers and ended up cutting all. I only had the 1-of Nicol Bolas 61st card because of the Shang Tsung pic, for the memes. He's too awkward to cast and not powerful enough to be worth it.

Crucible of Worlds is great SB tech for both ramp and vs mana denial. Otherwise I was thinking of a single Grim Monolith to ramp to 6.

Defense Grid is good tech and still relevant with Trinisphere. Do we need counter protection if we could already resolve Karn though?

I'm going to try to keep room for Leyline + Helm. It just seems like a very smooth win condition for the matchups we'd use Leyline anyway and helps speed up games. It'll take some tweaking to see which slots are most needed in the Karnboard.

Nov 2016
    France

I was worried about the BB and RB costs (Dimir Signet only does UB). Was your mana smooth?

Beacons, both Badlands and Volcanic, Signets and enough black cards seem to be smooth "enough" so far. What happens sometimes is an opening hand with a couple of 3-cmc PWs, and one I have to pitch to Mox anyway (in order to have a relevant turn-2 play). It happens that I have to pitch Lili because of awkward mana, and Daretti is easier to cast then. It happens the other way around too.

My main reservations with Narset were thinking the static ability is redundant (we already hate on cantrips a lot) and that the UU cost might be hard (Interplanar Beacon can't fix 2 of the same color).

The static ability is a bit redundant for sure. What happens a lot to is to have your first play countered (or discarded), like Trinisphere or Chalice. Narset is insurance the opponent will struggle if they play cantrips, Library or Griseldad.
    Your idea of Signet is really clutch in the deck, and I have to say the worst case is when you pitch a Lili / Daretti to Mox and want to cast Narset, or the other way around. Both don't go well together in the specific case of an early Mox. This is where Ashiok is great to pitch.
    Beacon doesn't appear to be problematic, since it eventually works with any other mana source configuration. The issue is Mox here.

Overall, I feel like artifacts are the first plays of the game anyway, where mana isn't a problem. A hand with no turn 1 play is probably a mulligan, bar a few borderline keeps. On turn 2 it can be a bit of a headache to tap the mana correctly, definitely worth a guide !

Otherwise I was thinking of a single Grim Monolith to ramp to 6.

Clever !

Defense Grid is good tech and still relevant with Trinisphere. Do we need counter protection if we could already resolve Karn though?

Good point, so far I never tutored for Grid. It looks like a card for a true combo deck.

----

On another note, a few plays :
    - Daretti's ultimate let me "recur" Lattice that I got discarded in a game.
    - Jace bounced my Bridge once it's turned into a creature with Karn (+ Lattice on the board), so I can then attack with a 6/6 Lattice instead and increase the clock.
    - I milled my opponent to death sometimes. It was even more efficient with Dack targetting the opponent.
    - Spellskite saved me against potential lethal top deck Bolt effects in Delver.
    - The deck is very slow at winning games. It's very important to set up a routine where I know in which order I use my 4-5 PWs on the board. Usually Narset first, then Karn, then Daretti, then Lili, and finally Ashiok cleans the GY. The attack steps aren't always obvious to sequence correctly.

- The Spellskite situation and the pace of the deck makes me want to add Batterskull in the SB, that I could eventually quadruple with Daretti's Ult. Would Wurmcoil Engine be better ?

Thread Information