Thread: Preacher v Black Knight

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Preacher v Black Knight

My opponent has a black knight in play and I use preacher to try and steal it. Can I gain control of it even though the creature is pro-white? I'm not really targeting it because it is worded that my opponent chooses which creature I can take.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: Preacher v Black Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen_Empire View Post
    My opponent has a black knight in play and I use preacher to try and steal it. Can I gain control of it even though the creature is pro-white? I'm not really targeting it because it is worded that my opponent chooses which creature I can take.
    No, because Protection from White means it cannot be the target of spells or ability from White sources. It's not really important if you chose it or not.

EDIT: The confusion here might arise from Preachers original text. Always check the current Oracle text:
    "You may choose not to untap Preacher during your untap step.

Tap: For as long as Preacher remains tapped, gain control of target creature of an opponent's choice they control."

Further more, if the only creature they had was one with Hexproof, Preacher still would not be able to target it. While you are not choosing it as the target, you still control the ability because you control Preacher, so Hexproof would not allow this. Which means, if there was a different legal target, the opponent would have to choose that instead.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Thread Information