Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Deck] Astral Drift vs. Legacy take 1

Sep 2011

Re: [Deck] Astral Drift vs. Legacy take 1

The "lock" seems bad. Has anyone playtested it? Too many moving pieces, too easy to disrupt, too many hoops to assemble, mediocre interactions otherwise.

Slide already wins the game

//Artifacts: 8
    4 Mox Diamond
    4 Chalice of the Void

//Enchantments: 6
    4 Astral Drift
    2 Astral Slide

//Spells: 6
    3 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Life from the Loam

//Creatures: 15
    3 Containment Priest
    2 Wall of Blossoms
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    4 Eternal Witness
    2 Knight of Autumn
    1 Tilling Treefolk
    1 Palace Jailer
    1 Titania, Protector of Argoth

//Lands: 25
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Ash Barrens
    4 Tranquil Thicket
    4 Secluded Steppe
    3 Forest
    3 Plains
    1 Savannah
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Karakas

Maybe there should be room for 3-4 Wasteland?

Other creatures to consider:

Kitchen Finks
    Siege Rhino
    Plaguecrafter
    Orzhov Pontiff
    Renegade Rallier
    Shriekmaw
    Eternal Dragon

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

List looks solid. But I doubt Drift makes the general concept viable all of the sudden.
    I am experimenting with Liquimetal Coating and Knight of Autumn interaction in Modern. Is it too cute for Legacy?

Wrenn and Six looks fine too, nur Loam is probably better.

I like this take, but 12 cyclers is definitely not enough.

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Quote Originally Posted by aedemiel View Post
    I like this take, but 12 cyclers is definitely not enough.
    16. Astral Drift cycles, too. But I agree, should have more cheap cyclers, like Cast Out and Edge of Autumn.

Sep 2011

Right, +2 Cast Out. Good utility. -1 Wall of Blossoms, -1 something else.

I don't like the idea of having too many cyclers that are otherwise bad cards (e.g. Gilded Light, Angelsong, Renewed Faith) because they're just terribad when Astral Slide isn't out. Cards that cost more than 1 to cycle are inefficient. You'll die to Burn or Delver first. That's probably why Slide hasn't been competitive in a long time. The old engine of running rampant growths, Eternal Dragon and janky expensive cyclers is bad tempo and not interactive enough.

Filler Street Wraiths might be good. They also protect Loam from Surgical.

Also between Eternal Witness, Tilling Treefolk and Life from the Loam, there are a lot of ways to recur the 12 cycling lands. With 2 Slide effects out, for 1 mana you can blink both Eternal Witness (returning the land) and anything else. This is an advantage of running more than 4 Slides. With Tilling Treefolk + 1 Slide + 2 cycling lands, you can also blink something else and the Treefolk while getting your lands back.

The deck probably wants Wasteland so there's a plan B of "kill all your land and beatdown with Titania".

Bag of Holding
    Should we?

Hi guys, long time slide player. I used to play it in standard, and have a pet deck I used with Astral Slide for legacy events (non important tournaments).

I think that there are a lot of myths / incorrect assumptions around this.
    For example, the idea that for this to be an astral (slide/drift) deck, it needs 6+ versions of this card. I have sometimes found that even 4 copies of astral slide is too much. That said, I've since replaced the slides with drifts, obviously, and 4 is fine now.

I play a G/W build, heavily reliant on life from the loam and card advantage. I use a wish package to find finishers and situational cards, and try to slow them down with removal and enter-the-battlefield triggers.
    Finding a combo lock is much more hassle than setting up a card advantage engine that builds on itself.
    Play an astral drift. Cycle an edge of autumn sacrificing your flagstones to remove their creature and delay life loss for the turn. Next turn, you draw a wall of blossom? Excellent. So you have a recurring card draw engine plus blocker. You build up a pillow fort over time, then go for a wish board target to finish them off.

Here is my deck:

// Cycle Engine:

4 Astral Drift
    4 Secluded Steppe
    4 Tranquil Thicket
    4 Edge of Autumn

// Win Cards
    4 Living Wish

// Utility
    2 Council's Judgment
    1 Pithing Needle
    3 Life from the Loam
    2 Solitary Confinement
    2 Mox Diamond
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Trinisphere

// Creatures
    4 Wall of Blossom
    3 Eternal Witness
    1 Knight of Autumn

// Non-cycling Lands
    3 Flagstones of Trokair
    3 Windswept Heath
    1 Savannah
    5 Forest
    3 Plains
    2 Ancient Tomb

//Sideboard
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Jotun Grunt
    1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Tower of the Magistrate
    1 Thragtusk
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Ashen Rider
    1 Akroma, Angel of Fury
    1 Peacekeeper

Really keen to hear ideas.

@optml

Solitary Confinement will beat any deck without lifeloss or enchantment removal, but given the popularity of bounce/counters and Assassins' Trophy/Abrupt Decay, and various planeswalkers, that's basically limited to Burn decks game one. It's a neat card, but time has largely passed it by.

Karn, the Great Creator is a better option for wishing for stuff than Living Wish is.

Ice-Fang Coatl plus snow basics is a better "draw a card critter" than Wall of Blossoms. Actually, it's a better option even without the snow lands, because it can block flyers and surprise kill low-loyalty 'walkers.

Thanks for your response, which is interesting, but I'm not sure I agree with any of your points. Of course, I don't mind if you decide to create a deck based on your recommended cards instead of my proposed ones, but I'll respond so you know what my thought process is.

First, Solitary Confinement.
    I also play Enchantress in legacy, and every Enchantress deck I know runs at minimum 1 if not 2 solitary confinements. I find it a powerful, 'must kill' card, once you have a basic card draw mechanism. Yes, there are cards in legacy that can destroy it, but that isn't a reason not to play it. FoW exists in legacy, but people still play spells that can be countered. Having a card advantage engine means that over the course of a game if they continue to 1 for 1 one my cards, I will win the attrition game. Also, why would planeswalkers affect me, if I have solitary confinement out? Which planeswalkers are you worried about?

I'm not sure why you reference the Ice-fang? Its not even on colour to the GW. If you want to add in a third colour, that's fine, but at least mention that and talk about the rationale for adding. Just referencing other colour cards that you like seems weird to me. I like brainstorm, but probably won't try to fit it into a Green White deck.

And Karn? Seems perhaps like you missed my point, or the reason I play living wish in the first place? Living wish package is not the same as the Karn. They target completely different things, cost different amounts and look to achieve different goals. Karn searches for artifacts. Living wish is creatures and lands. If you want to leverage the core part of the deck, the Astral Drift cycling package, with a Karn wishboard, you are limited by artifact creatures. That's a pretty limited pool compared to any creature plus any land.

Thread Information