Thread: [Deck] Astral Drift vs. Legacy take 1

Threaded View

[Deck] Astral Drift vs. Legacy take 1

If you read this before I post an "updated first post post" don't worry, I'm just working out some thoughts on paper as it were.

Three takes - one good, one "in progress", and one bad - all based off the splash color (Bant, Naya, or Abzan)

Simple Prison Version

Lands - 25
    4x Prismatic Vista
    4x Ash Barrens
    4x Tranquil Thicket
    4x Secluded Steppe
    4x Plains
    4x Forest
    1x Island

Walkers/Enchantments - 8
    4x Teferi, Time Raveler
    4x Astral Drift

Creatures - 6
    4x Eternal Witness
    2x Knight of Autumn

Spells - 21
    4x Orim's Chant
    4x Unexpectedly Absent
    4x Edge of Autumn
    3x Life from the Loam
    2x Cast Out
    3x Gilded Light
    1x Approach of the Second Sun

Sideboard
    Back to Basics (maybe main?)
    Wing Shards/Wrath of God?
    Rebuild?
    Wasteland?
    Tormod's Crypt
    Containment Priest
    Gilded Drake (hilarious with Drift and with Absent)
    Gideon of the Trials
    Obstinate Baloth (possibly Siege Rhino, but the "discard into play" effect is pretty relevant)
    more Cast Out/Knights?
    Abeyance/Leylines?

That's 25 cyclers, tons of mana, a hard lock made of independent pieces that are all really good on their own, and a decent game 1 vs. combo. Can't really ask for more than that, right? The manabase is also super rock solid, and can even fetch up additional basics while under a Moon effect. Approach also gives you a hard win condition if some kind of shenanigans are taking place after the lock is in place where your small duders can't get there eventually.

Absent is just generally amazing because it can stop your opponent from being able to draw out of a situation, and it can be used say, during your opponents end step on your own Witness if you really need to draw one. Same for Teferi if you need to reset his loyalty or something.

Teferi solves a lot of problems for this deck, and can even bounce your own guys to re-use their ETB abilities.

Chalice Version

I dunno, this should be Naya colors - RGW, it should run Wrenn and Six, Ancient Tomb, Lightning Rift, Mox Diamond and probably Nahiri/Emrakul. I've drawn up a couple lists, but none of them really work, so, that's an issue. It's basically just working to get the numbers of everything right, and that's pretty much only done by lots of playtesting. Also possible you'd want some number of Sweltering Suns in here too. Definitely some manlands, Raging Ravine and Nantuko Monastery come to mind.

Rock Version

Yeah, the main problem with this is that control-ish rock is dead in the format. So making a build off of that is.. not a great idea. Probably the direction I'm going to take the deck in Modern, but I honestly don't think it works in Legacy, like, at all.

Take all of this with a grain of salt, I haven't been playing Legacy lately, so I'm not even really that sure what the meta looks like right now, beyond a bunch of Xerox and some number of Chalice lists + nic fit.
    Last edited by morgan_coke; 05-31-2019 at 12:45 PM.

Thread Information