1 trinisphere
    4 lotus petal
    1 LED

Other stuff (8)
    4 force of will
    2 whir of invention
    2 back to basics
    1 tezzeret the seeker

(urza is 2UU, comes into play with a karnstruct, and an ability where you tap an artifact to add U)
    (tribute mage is trinket mage for cmc 2)

SO the idea is to power out chalice on 1, ethersworn canonist/trinisphere/BTB to slow the game down, then mise/tribute mage into thopter/sword, plop the new urza down, make infinite mana/infinite thopters, then win.

It's probably not amazing, but i can def see the deck doing some damage. I'm not sure if it's worth having a karn here in place of the btb and trinisphere, and have a wish board for things like bridge, crypt, combo pieces. I can also imagine 3-4 narset is good MB against most blue decks, and possible 2-3 new teferi against control decks.

any ideas on where this deck can go?
    Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

Re: Urza stompy. Because he's awesome

Quote Originally Posted by schweinefettmann View Post

land (20)
    4 ancient tomb
    1 city of traitors
    4 wasteland
    1 academy ruins
    1 inventors fair
    9 island

creatures (10)
    4 urza
    4 tribute mage
    2 ethersworn canonist

Artefacts (21)
    4 chalice of the void
    4 thopter foundry
    3 sword of the meek
    4 talisman of blue white
    4 azorius signet
    1 trinisphere
    4 lotus petal
    1 LED

Other stuff (8)
    4 force of will
    2 whir of invention
    2 back to basics
    1 tezzeret the seeker

(urza is 2UU, comes into play with a karnstruct, and an ability where you tap an artifact to add U)

SO the idea is to power out chalice on 1, ethersworn canonist/trinisphere/BTB to slow the game down, then mise/tribute mage into thopter/sword, plop the new urza down, make infinite mana/infinite thopters, then win.

It's probably not amazing, but i can def see the deck doing some damage. I'm not sure if it's worth having a karn here in place of the btb and trinisphere, and have a wish board for things like bridge, crypt, combo pieces. I can also imagine 3-4 narset is good MB against most blue decks, and possible 2-3 new teferi against control decks.

Force of Will and Trinisphere huh? You do understand why that is bad right?

Yea, i get that.

But it's a stompy build; trying to slow down the opponent with locks while landing combo pieces.

force/chalice are there to just survive turn 1-2 kill decks, trinisphere to slow down cantrip decks.

Aside from that, any other thoughts? i'm proxying up the urzas and tribute mages to test. i suspect it's still too glass cannony.
    Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

Yea, i get that.

But it's a stompy build; trying to slow down the opponent with locks while landing combo pieces.

force/chalice are there to just survive turn 1-2 kill decks, trinisphere to slow down cantrip decks.

Aside from that, any other thoughts? i'm proxying up the urzas and tribute mages to test. i suspect it's still too glass cannony.
    I bet you're gonna want some more 2 mana artifacts for Tribute Mage like Sorcerers Spyglass, Phyrexian Revoker, Winter Orb, that sort of thing.
    Cockatrice: Bosque

Quote Originally Posted by Bosque View Post
    I bet you're gonna want some more 2 mana artifacts for Tribute Mage like Sorcerers Spyglass, Phyrexian Revoker, Winter Orb, that sort of thing.
    Oh right, didn't even think about that.

I've been relatively unimpressed with revoker recently though. A lot of the problem abilities i've come across are land-based, which revoker has trouble against.

But yea, especially winter orb, that seems really good considering urza turns all artefacts into mana rocks.

I'm also wondering if there's space for some number of karn, great creators. synergises with artifact lock pieces on the wish board, and allows us to custom build locks depending on who we're facing.

I made a proxy deck and tried it, and it just durdles way too much before comboing off. i think i need more interaction and/or pressuring life totals for it to really be effective.

I’m convinced this is a legacy and modern deck. This isn’t the best build of it in my opinion.

I’d play 4 force of will and 4 force of negation. I’d probably run 4 swords to plowshare, 4 brainstorm and 4 ponder obviously.. And then stoneforge (with a batterskull) and Urza as a base and then the combo.

I think that shell would be tier 1.

You could play a sideboard moat if you wanted to.

land (20)
    4 ancient tomb
    1 city of traitors
    4 wasteland
    1 academy ruins
    1 inventors fair
    9 island

creatures (10)
    4 urza
    4 tribute mage
    2 ethersworn canonist

Artefacts (21)
    4 chalice of the void
    4 thopter foundry
    3 sword of the meek
    4 talisman of blue white
    4 azorius signet
    1 trinisphere
    4 lotus petal
    1 LED

Other stuff (8)
    4 force of will
    2 whir of invention
    2 back to basics
    1 tezzeret the seeker

Wasteland has no business in this deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    Wasteland has no business in this deck.
    Nether does LED or Back To Basics.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

https://www.streamdecker.com/deck/lJiehLzH2u

Kanister plays this list currently in the weekly Modern challenge. Maybe there's some tech you can steal from that.

That said, why doesn't the deck run Transmute Artifact? Sacrifing a Sword to fetch Foundry sounds pretty good to me.

Edit: What about alternate wincons? Given the amount of artifacts you run, wouldn't Master of Etherium be nice? Synergizes well with the combo, too, if Urza isn't around.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Urza stax is silly in edh. Imagine what you could do in constructed with x4 of cards.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

I don’t have the echoes unfortunately.

That being said, I’d forgotten about this thread, so I figured I’d put a list of what I’d come to recently (+ thanks to the folks here who had criticisms. I ended up figuring out those points too, but I’m a bad brewer)

23 land
    4 ancient tomb
    2 city of traitors
    1 academy ruins
    2 u seas
    2 snow swamp
    4 snow island
    7 fetches
    1 inventors fair

2 mox diamond
    3 mox opal
    2 thopter foundry
    2 sword of the meek
    4 dimir signet
    1 sorcery spyglass
    1 trinisphere
    4 chalice of the void
    4 Arcums astrolabe

3 urza
    4 baleful strix

3 karn great creator

3 whir of invention
    1 transmute artifact

It’s good not great. Inspired by nettermizuno on discord, but I couldn’t fit in the leylinea and helm combo too.

It’s worked relatively well at my local, but it’s a bit inconsistent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

With no responses directed at my first post and try to be more blunt. Winter orb, static orb, trinisphere, null rod, etc are all powerful cards that can be played here. If the plan is urza x4, then I think this is the route that should be considered. Sai and karnstructs are all you need to win.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
    With no responses directed at my first post and try to be more blunt. Winter orb, static orb, trinisphere, null rod, etc are all powerful cards that can be played here. If the plan is urza x4, then I think this is the route that should be considered. Sai and karnstructs are all you need to win.
    i haven't had time to test yet :)

just got some urzas in the mail today. will sleeve up, but am on holiday for 3 weeks.
    -rob

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

And just as another option, power artifact and lab man. It would make the deck much more control oriented but you would win on the spot.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

I'll just copy paste this over here from Discord. If I find a link to the list I'll add it, though I'm not so keen on posting other people's lists (he plays a lot online, maybe he wants to keep it to a smaller group for a while, I have no idea, but probably not). The list normally runs 8 Karns and 4 Urza, I'm on - 1 Urza..

Edit: probably fine to share it if it's shared in a stream, so here the list is: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2154034#paper

Played Susurrus's list (I think susurrus_mtg on Twitch) but replaced 4th Urza with 2nd Sai (availability). Also replaced 2 sb Defense Grids with 2 Trinispheres and the Lightning Greaves like card with a Revoker. I don't feel comfortable playing a list with so little combo interaction, the changes I made felt pretty great considering the matchups I played (2/4 combo variants).

Lands 1-2. I win g1 with pressure from Constructs, opponent wins g2 with early Lage and I then board in a Bridge. Could perhaps have won the final game by playing out Needle or Sai + Thopters, in addition to the Bridge I had in play, to play around topdecked Grip, I decided to apply extra pressure instead which was punished as opponent topdecked the Grip for Bridge. I think this is a good matchup.

Doomsday Frenzy 2-1. Karn tGC doing great work, Revoker also helped. Didn't draw the Trinispheres but was happy to have them. Opponent could have won g3 with a better pile [adding Chain of Vapors to the Hurkyl's Recall he put as the top card] , I had a Karn tGC in hand as my one unknown card that ruined his DD pass-the-turn-pile. I imagine this is a bad matchup.

RW Stax 0-2. His deck pretty much did what my deck did but with much less ramp, I couldn't draw any ramp though and fell behind (mulliganed to 4 or 5 in g2 to find some ramp). I think this is a good matchup. Edit: but it's hard to say without further testing, maybe his other slots make up for the lack of ramp, also he played some red blasts in the sideboard and they can be very efficient vs the Urzas when Chalice is boarded out. He didn't play Chalice so that's lots of extra action in his list, just probably slower. I saw Nahiri, the Harbinger with Elesh Norn and Karn tGC & SoU.

UG Food Chain 0-2. Was about to win g1 when he found the combo win on his last turn. In g2 I mull to 5, a starting hand with Chalice on 1 and then 2 and a Spyglass on Ballista. He gets out a 4/4 Hydroid Krasis and then not much until a turn 10 or so Explosives clears my Chalises, Moxen and more importantly 6 or so Thopters. I imagine this is an even matchup, if they get combo together they basically win but Karn and Needle/spyglass stops the Ballista combo and the flying 3/3's can probably be managed.. Sometimes.
    Last edited by pettdan; 08-08-2019 at 06:29 PM.

Gustha’s Scepter might be something to look at with LED and an Urza-Academy-esque deck.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Played this deck again in the local legacy event today, just adding some very brief notes here before falling asleep. It seems a bit ironic that I worry about playing combo decks and then play against 4 combo decks. I wonder if the local meta is adjusting quickly to the expected W6 decks. Other decks I saw around me were Aggro Loam, Lands, Sneak Attack / Moon stompy, mono-brown stax, blue-white SnT. Most of them seemed good vs W6 decks, with the possible exception of mono-brown stax.

As I mentioned above I increased the relevant sideboard cards for the combo matchups. Changes I've made to the above list are, still, the sb +2 Trinispheres and +1 Revoker. I was considering dropping the last two Defense Grids for more combo interaction but in the end didn't, not sure what they could be (Mindbreak Trap? Flusterstorm?). However I did cut 2 Caverns for +1 Karakas and +1 Island, due to availability, so that was another change that improves the combo matchup, especially considering the matchups I played. At least I'm very happy with the sideboard Trinispheres.

R1: Omnishow with Burning Wishes, 2-1
    Get lucky here against a first time Legacy player, he seemed happy so hope to see him around again.

R2: 0-2 Elves
    He t3 Craterhoofs me in g1 after I shoot 2 creatures with Ballista, if I remember correctly. In g2 opponent goes t2 Archon of Valon's Reach (naming artifacts) and there was not much Sai could do about that. I think an early Ballista or Chalice followed up by some good pressure (preferably Ballista) can go a long way in this matchup but just didn't draw that well.

R3: ANT 0-2
    Had to mull to interaction but didn't find enough in my starting hands.

R4: Ub Reanimator with maindeck Show and Tells and Eldrazis) 1-2
    Italian visitor joining us was really nice. He had the Eldrazi that prevents opponent from casting spells with even CMC. It was actually pretty good because I could neither Karakas it nor play Karn to answer or race it. I had 4 Karns in hand when I played it actually.

Thread Information