Thread: Heliod Stasis

bruizar

Heliod Stasis

One of the cards im most pumped about in Modern horizons is Hall of Heliod's Generositty. I think this might be what it takes to make stasis a tier deck. Please do chime in with thoughts, improvements and suggestions for other enchantments.

3x Teferi, Hero of Dominaria
    1x Teferi, Time Raveler
    2x Narset, Parter of Veils
    4x Stasis
    3x Porphyry Nodes
    4x Force of Will
    4x Daze
    2x Flusterstorm
    4x Brainstorm
    3x Ponder
    1x History of Benalia
    3x Swords to Plowshares
    2x Unexpectedly Absent
    1x Surgical Extraction
    4x Flooded Strand
    4x Prismatic Vista
    2x Tundra
    1x Volcanic Island
    2x Plains
    5x Island
    2x Forsaken City
    1x Karakas
    3x Hall of Heliod’s Generosity

Sideboard:
    3x Rest in Peace
    3x Mystic Remora
    2x Eidolon of Rhetoric
    1x Humility
    1x Seal of Cleansing
    1x Mountain
    3x Pyroblast
    1x Surgical Extraction

May 2015
    PDX

Re: Heliod Stasis

The main advantage of white and silly enchantments is playing as few actual copies of the dead draw enchant, enabled by Enlightened Tutor. Immediate improvement from -2 Stasis, +2 E Tutor. History of Benalia and 3rd copy of Heliod seem incorrect.

Flooded Strand past two copies is worse than Scalding Tarn; you have SB Mountain. Your SB has 3x RiP and nothing to do with them; easy fix -1 RiP, +1 Helm. Eidolon and Remora are -5 SB slots.

I've enjoyed Wilderness Reclamation in conjunction with Stasis. I appreciate being able to drop Stasis and then untap all my lands that same turn to hold up countermagic.

I see you're running RiP in the side. Energy Field is a fun enchantment to play with RiP.

Muddle the Mixture is a not-too-terrible counterspell that also lets you fetch your 2-CMC enchantments (including Stasis). Transmuting at sorcery speed sucks, but it's not as bad when you get to untap at EoT with Wilderness Reclamation.

Sep 2011

Run 3-4 Enlightened Tutor. Between that and Brainstorm+Ponder you should be able to find whatever singletons you need. It will allow you to shave off many multiples in the maindeck and sideboard to have more good cards and less conditional draws.

Cut the weak cards like Eidolon, History of Benalia, Remora, etc.

Mystic Remora is much worse in Legacy than Vintage. Even UG Enchantress doesn't play it. If you expect a lot of spell-based decks, you could run 1 single copy in the SB (tutorable with E Tutor) but multiple Remoras just seems bad.

Teferi, Hero of Dominaria is a great combo with Stasis but it's still 5 mana. Without any ramp and with 4 Daze, getting to 5 mana is hard. 2 copies should be enough.

I second the 1xHelm of Obedience in the SB. If you're boarding in RiP anyway as grave hate, the 1x Helm just turns Enlightened Tutor into free wins.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Surprised I dont see a hard lock with kismet.

Also, i hear black vise is good when opponent cant cast spells and has a full hand.

Tabernacles or the lesser know Pendrell mists can wipe the board in a pinch.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    Surprised I dont see a hard lock with kismet.
    Kismet < Frozen Aether (castable off Island, pitches to FoW)

i hear black vise is good
    The B/R thread says otherwise.

Admin
    Oct 2003
    Redondo Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    The B/R thread says otherwise.
    Black Vise has been legal in Legacy since 2015.
    Monday Night Magic: http://rfimd2000.tripod.com/images/mnm/mondaynight.htm

Team
    Left
    Field

bruizar

What draw engine would you recommend if you would go the e.tutor route? E.tutor and heliod both come at the cost of skipping your regular draw and you will get behind if you have to utilize both with no other draw engine to offset that cost.

The best Engine using E.tutor (without going full Enchantress-way), would probably be Parfait.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    Black Vise has been legal in Legacy since 2015.
    The B/R thread has been legal since at least 5 years before that

bruizar

The deck actually has a lot of overlap with uwx landstill now that i think of it. Standstill is probably the best draw spell for the deck

May 2015
    PDX

At this point you would cut Stasis entirely and just be Standstill. There really isn't any reason to run Heliod in Standstill either. In the Still shell it's easier to run B2B in board given Teferi.

More creative space likely exists with Abjure/Hatching Plans styled building.

Sep 2011

How does Hall of Heliod's Generosity combo with Stasis?

Stasis is in play.
    You don't untap.
    You fail to pay the upkeep. Stasis dies.
    You can't do much with this turn because you didn't untap.
    Opponent untaps.
    Opponent casts things and attacks you.
    You untap.
    Upkeep you activate Heliod, putting Stasis on top.
    You draw Stasis but lose a draw step.
    You cast Stasis.

This all requires tapping 5 lands, so you might not have any mana to do anything other than replay Stasis and be tapped out (and struggle to pay future upkeeps, forcing you to repeat this loop soon). Meanwhile opponent got an untap and got to actually play things.

Teferi, Time Raveler arguably combos better than Heliod. You -3 every 4 turns to return it to hand and draw an extra card instead of losing a draw step. Looping it just costs 2 mana instead of 5, which allows you to keep Stasis on the board longer in between or do other things with your mana. Teferi's static ability also limits the opponent from interfering even though he gets a turn to untap.

Ideally you want something that removes Stasis on the opponent's turn (so you untap and opponent doesn't) and a way to redeploy Stasis without having to commit so much mana in one turn.

Thread Information