Thread: [Primer] Mardu Creativity (Sword & Shield)

[Primer] Mardu Creativity (Sword & Shield)

Q: Can I play Indomitable Creativity in Modern competitively?

A: Yes, you can.

Introduction and History of the Deck
    Welcome to the humble primer for my brew, Sword & Shield. Yes, I could have called it something boring like Mardu creativity or Nahiri Creativity, but I prefer my deck names with some history and lore in it. This deck was originally conceived as go-wide aggro with a possible plan B of pulling in Emrakul, the Aeons Torn with Indomitable Creativity. If you'd like to read about the concept, development and previous iterations of the deck, open the spoiler below.
    [spoiler=History]The deck is essentially tokens with a superior polymorph. (superiority is contextual in this case, which will be explained further down the primer during single card discussion). On the archetype clock, we're sitting lightly on Control and Aggro, and more firmly on Combo. Postboard, we can pull out of Combo and lean into the first 2 archetypes, depending on the opponent's position and expected boarding pattern.
    We accomplish this by being a mixture of the format's best token makers coupled with lesser rated token makers that make the list because of their instant speed, buff the tokens with Intangible virtues, and add reach. The deck achieves control with elements such as Nahiri's -2, your basic removal package of bolt, push, path, terminates, and the combo element is basically Indomitable creativity or Nahiri's ultimate. As such, you have possible early game aggression, late game power, and midrange control.
    The first iteration was mono red. The plan A was to win with goblin tokens and reach - it sported 12 goblen token generators, namely playsets of Krenko's Command, Goblin Fodder and Hordeling Outburst. All the common mono red reach spells including Goblin Grenade were included as playsets, and finally add Emrakul and 4 copies of Creativity, and that was basically the deck. The combo was plan B, and this plan only had the Sword and no Shield. This proved to be an issue against decks with planeswalkers and other such ability-based removal like Detention Sphere. Also, the deck operated completely at sorcery speed and was thus vulnerable to blue based control, having no way to overload counterspell decks by flashing tokens and then going off. This led to the second iteration.
    The second iteration was boros. The deck was now divided between go-wide aggro and combo. It had gained powerful burn spells like Boros Charm and Lightning Helix, and instant speed token generator Raise the Alarm. It also introduced Nahiri as a secondary way to combo off, increasing the emphasis on combo. To combat the Sword's vulnerability, I included her Shield, literally. The deck could now leverage Creativity's X cost, and Go for 2. With the Sword on the field and the Shield to hold off any potential outs, this combination meant that Creativity with X=2 was basically a win. This iteration was able to hold its own in a competitive meta, going 2-1 at FNM and 3-2 at a 22 man win-a-box. It was during the 22 man that I realized that 1. I needed more instant speed tokens and 2. I needed some form of card selection beyond Nahiri. Otherwise I was a mediocre aggro deck with 23 lands and a combo deck with no consistency.
    The final iteration, which this primer is all about, includes the third and probably final color. The black splash unlocked Fatal Push, which meant being able to deal with creatures using one mana and not ramping the opponent with path all the time, terminate, Mardu Charm, Lingering souls and indirectly, Faithless looting (because of Souls' flashback ability). At time of writing, it has gone 3-0 at an FNM against Dredge (creeping chill vsn), Jund (with Trophy) and Affinity (with Karn). In other words, a partial snapshot of your typical current meta (October 2018).[/spoiler]
    Glossary
    Here's a few terms I will use in the primer and will be useful during discussion. They make discussion less clunky.

[spoiler=Terms]"Go for X" or "Went for X" - means casting indomitable creativity with value = X. Typically 1 means you're just going for one piece, while 2 means you're aiming for both sword and shield. In special cases, you may target enemy artifacts/creatures, which will be discussed in the single card discussions.
    "Hit the Sword" - to Go for 1 and hit Emrakul
    "Hit the Shield" - to Go for 1 and hit Iona
    "Flash tokens" - refers to token creation at instant speed, be it via an ability (Adanto) or spells (Raise the Alarm)[/spoiler]

Why play this deck
    The beauty of this deck is that it combos, but the potential "blowouts" are minimal. For instance, a well timed bolt to Baral when you're floating 1 mana and Past in Flames is on the stack, path/push to Restoration Angel after you tap out for kiki, Assassin's Trophy/Bolt at Saheeli and so on, typically leave the combo attempter in a very bad position. In this deck, being denied the combo typically doesn't result in such a situation. Additionally, we don't get hit by meta hate such as RIP, Stony Silence, leylines. Ensnaring Bridge is one way to stop emrakul, but creativity can be cast for 2 or 3, and include the bridge as a target.
    The deck threatens the opponent on 2 axes - they have to survive your tokens and burn, and also watch out for the combo via creativity or if Nahiri is on the board looking for her Wifi signal. They want to attack Nahiri, but they risk being chumped. They want to remove tokens to minimize damage, but they also want to save spot removal for your Creativity targets. They want to spend mana to wipe the board on their turn, but they risk getting comboed out by flash tokens and creativity. By this virtue, it is exceedingly common to win by attack steps and just finishing out with reach. That's right - you're playing splinter twin.
    If you always wanted a deck that:
    [numlist][*]had a higher chance to ult Nahiri, [*]play indomitable creativity in modern, [*]will Annihilator 6 opponents often, [*]or are a big fan of having people gawk at incredible boardstates and ask "how the heck did this happen",
    [/numlist]
    then please, read on.

Decklist
    The deck is in its third iteration, and by third I don't mean a couple of card changes here and there. The deck list is below, and its previous iterations and philosophies are described in the History Spoiler above. If you're a budget conscious player, you'd be interested in versions 1 and 2, since they're considerably cheap.
    I have sorted the deck by purpose as opposed to card type for easy analysis, critique and planning.

[spoiler=Pre-bitterblossom version]
    Combo Package (10)
    4 Nahiri, the Harbinger
    4 Indomitable Creativity
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria

Token Generators (13)
    3 Legion's Landing
    4 Raise the Alarm
    4 Lingering Souls
    2 Mardu Charm

Removals (10)
    1 Path to Exile
    1 Dismember
    2 Fatal Push
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Lightning Helix

Other (6)
    4 Faithless Looting
    2 Intangible Virtue

Lands (21)
    3 Inspiring Vantage
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Sacred Foundry
    1 Godless Shrine
    1 Blood Crypt
    2 Rugged Prairie
    1 Mountain
    1 Plains
    1 Swamp

Sideboard
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Stony Silence
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Blessed Alliance
    2 Boros Charm
    2 Lightning Helix
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Timely Reinforcements
    1 Wear // Tear
    1 Alpine Moon
    [/spoiler]

Version 3.2 10 Jan 2019
    [spoiler=10 jan 2019 v3.2]

Combo (8)
    4 Indomitable Creativity
    2 Nahiri, the Harbinger
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria

Tokens (15)
    2 Legion's Landing
    4 Raise the Alarm
    4 Lingering Souls
    3 Bitterblossom
    2 Mardu Charm

Disruption (2)
    2 Inquisition of Kozilek

Removal (8)
    4 Lightning Bolt
    1 Lightning Helix
    3 Fatal Push

Utility (4)
    4 Faithless Looting

Lands (23)
    4 Arid Mesa
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Wooded Foothills
    2 Sacred Foundry
    1 Blood Crypt
    1 Godless Shrine
    2 Inspiring Vantage
    1 Rugged Prairie
    1 Graven Cairns
    2 Mountain
    1 Swamp
    1 Plains
    1 Mutavault

Sideboard (15)
    1 Path to Exile
    1 Lightning Helix
    1 Intangible Virtue
    3 Stony Silence
    2 Ravenous Trap
    1 Rakdos Charm
    2 Ricochet Trap
    1 Platinum Emperion
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    1 Timely Reinforcements
    1 Wear //Tear

[/spoiler]

Agorahobby 6th Seed (top 8 prize split) 23 Mar 2019

Combo (7)
    4 Indomitable Creativity
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons torn
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Nahiri, the Harbinger

Tokens (12)
    2 Legion's Landing
    2 Bitterblossom
    4 Raise the Alarm
    4 Lingering Souls

Interaction (13)
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Thoughtseize
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Fatal Push
    1 Path to Exile

Other spells (5)
    4 Faithless Looting
    1 Intangible Virtue

Real Estate (23)
    4 Arid Mesa
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Sacred Foundry
    2 Blood Crypt
    1 Dragonskull Summit
    2 Inspiring Vantage
    2 Rugged Prairie
    1 Graven Cairns
    2 Mountain
    1 Swamp
    1 Plains

Sideboard (15)
    3 Stony Silence
    3 Alpine Moon
    3 Wheel of Sun and Moon
    2 Lightning Helix
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    2 Wear // Tear
    1 Timely Reinforcements

Single Card Analysis

I'm going to talk about the key cards in this deck - their nuances, tips and tricks to using the cards, and how they were included, if not already apparent.
    [spoiler=Indomitable Creativity]Indomitable Creativity:
    The splinter twin card of the deck, this card threatens any player not holding a counterspell or multiple removals in their hand. The opponent has 2 options - counter creativity, or remove all creatures targeted by creativity before it resolves. Typically, life gets harder for combo as the game drags on. This deck, however, will cast creativity for 3, and then demand 3 instant speed answers from the opponent.
    Now, I called this a superior polymorph, and promised to explain. Here we go:
    1. You can hit more than 1 target, which enables the whole concept of Sword AND Shield.
    2. You can hit artifacts, which means the opponent's ensnaring bridge, O Stone, Planar Bridge - whatever makes you happy - and you can do it with the SAME creativity you're going off with. Basically, destroy the out AND pull in Emrakul and Iona with 1 spell.
    3. Creativity EXILES the card, THEN puts in on the battlefield. Polymorph puts the card directly on the battlefield from the library. Basically, you can't Grafdigger's Cage this beast.
    I know what some of you are thinking - have I met any opponents who boarded in Grafdigger's Cage in round 2 thinking it would work? The answer is yes, 1 so far, and he was quite bummed out when the L2 explained why his cage wasn't going to stop him from being annihilated next turn.[/spoiler]
    [spoiler=Emrakul, The Aeons Torn]Emrakul, the Aeons Torn:
    The original win con of the first iteration, this card ends the game in a very obvious way. It either comes out Hasty from Nahiri and only hits once, or it comes out from creativity without haste but sticks around. Either way, this sword has to be dealth with before it turns sideways, because like Howard Stark said: "I like the stick that you only have to use ONCE."[/spoiler]
    [spoiler=Iona, Shield of Emeria]Iona, Shield of Emeria:
    When I included the Shield I had not considered the lore. I was including her so she could protect Emrakul from Detention Spheres, Terminus, board wipes. It only came to me after I'd bought the card and was sleeving it up - Emeria in Zendikari lore was referring to none other than the Eldrazi Titan herself. Basically, Iona is the Shield of Emrakul. That's how this deck got its name.[/spoiler]
    [spoiler=Nahiri, the Harbinger]Nahiri, The Harbinger:
    She's just as powerful in this deck as the old Jeskai version. And just like Iona, she too has a flavor win here - the reason she is described as the Harbinger on this card was because she called Emrakul down onto Innistrad to vex Sorin. In this case, she's calling Emrakul down too - on your opponent. I probably don't have to explain too much, so just briefly - +2 helps you rummage extra lands/useless cards away and find what you need, -2 is removal, and the ultimate is "I'd like to call a friend."[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Other Cards]Faithless Looting:
    Dig for combo, discard the Sword or Shield if you draw them, and provides value with Lingering Souls. In longer games, that flashback is invaluable. Just beware the nonbo with the Emrakul trigger.

Lingering Souls:
    The only source of flying tokens in the deck, it also provides value with faithless looting. And just like with looting, beware the nonbo with the Emrakul trigger. This can be tad tricky, as against a control opponent you don't want to put all 4 bodies on the board at once to be answered with a single wipe, but at the same time a looting may draw you the Sword. Typically, if the control opponent isn't removing my tokens, I'm content to just chip away and hold on to my lootings, so I can choose to cast them only if I draw the Sword.

Mardu Charm:
    This is the Cryptic Command of the deck. Its not played as a playset because the individual modes aren't incredible - but the combination of them is. This card basically reads:
    1. Instant Speed Flame Slash
    2. Instant Speed Create 2 tokens
    3. Instant Speed Duress
    This means if you have 2 or more tokens on the battlefield and you have creativity and charm in your hand, you can Duress the opponent on their end step to check if the coast is clear and then combo off the following turn. If the opponent taps out to wipe the board, you can make 2 tokens at their end step and combo off. Otherwise, just point it at a creature with toughness 4 and below (Hollow one/Colonnade and below).

Legion's Landing:
    This card is triple duty in this deck:
    1. Turn 1 Proactive play
    2. Possible turn 3 ramp and the only way to execute a turn 3 Emrakul/Iona
    3. Offers lategame advantage with the fort producing an endless supply of lifelinking tokens.
    Adanto singlehandedly won me the game against Jund by continually holding off a giant Raging Ravine from killing Nahiri. The jund player would draw removal, but so would I be drawing generators, so he simply could not break through.[/spoiler]

Tips and Tricks

The turn 3 Emrakul:
    To execute this requires you to,
    1. Turn 1 Legion's Landing
    2. Turn 2 any 2 cmc token generator, preferably Raise the Alarm for that instant speed.
    3. Turn 3 Attack with 3 tokens, flip Legion's landing, play your 4th land, and Go for 1. You might hit the Shield, which is a bummer. Imagine that, Iona on turn 3 being a bummer. Go ahead, moan loudly at your opponent. "Oh MAN, its JUST Iona. Curse my poor luck."
    4. Ignore the glare from across the table.

How not to get fizzled when Going for X:
    If playing against an opponent you suspect has instant speed removal, go for a high X. If they have 1 card left in hand, going for 2 pretty much guarantees you'll at least get to go for 1, and so on. The more tokens and mana you have, the harder it will be to stop you. The cleanest answers to Creativity are in blue: counterspells, which means you get to keep your tokens anyway so its a 1-for-1 trade or at worst they may have Cryptic Commanded it and drawn a card. Against URx, watch out for Electrolyze. Postboard against blue decks like Storm, look out for Echoing Truths. If you suspect echoing truths, try to hit tokens of different names, such as 1 Soldier token and 1 Spirit token, to avoid getting fizzled. If course, there is always end-step Mardu Charm, discard mode.

Creatively comboing and dealing with hate:
    As has been mentioned a couple of times above, you can hit opposing problematic artifacts or creatures with Creativity. An O Stone without the mana to activate can be destroyed while you Go for 1 or 2. Likewise, you can hit Ensnaring bridge. These are the 2 commonly played cards that will allow an opponent an out to your Sword and Shield.

Slow Rolling:
    Against interactive opponents, the key to winning is to slow roll. Unless you're on the defensive for Nahiri, there is absolutely no pressure to overextend. If you have a Virtue on the table, it becomes all the more problematic for the opponent. Remove opposing threats with your removal suite and chip, chip, chip away. Then, when the opponent cracks and taps out for their threat or wipe, Flash tokens and Go for 2.

Charming the blue/control mage:
    The deck has only 2 maindeck target discard, and they're built into the swiss knife Mardu Charm. If the blue mage has been holding up their mana for your big creative turn, Charm them on your end step and duress them. They now have 3 options: use their removal now, counter your charm, or do nothing. If they use their removal now, and you don't see another removal, you know you can flash in more tokens or simply continue slow rolling and not have wasted a creativity to a fizzle. If they counter the charm, they are down a precious counterspell and mana. If they do nothing, you get to check. 2 counterspells or 2 removals in hand? Record the info and continue chipping. If the opponent taps out for anger or supreme verdict, they'll soon understand this deck plays "splinter twin": end step Raise the Alarm or Mardu Charm for tokens, and Go for 2.

Lands:
    There are 2 tricky spells in the deck: Creativity with its triple red and Mardu Charm with, well, Mardu. The filter lands help a great deal with triple red, so your fetch choices can be more or less catered to varying your mana appropriately. Rugged Prairie is key in this deck because the turn 3 Creativity execution involves Adanto, which produces straight white.

Sideboard:
    The board is pretty straightforward - you have your white hate cards for Affinity and Tron (Stony Silence), GY decks (Rest in Peace), anti-Tron and efficient manland hate in Alpine Moon, flexible removal in Wear Tear. Thoughtseizes for opposing combo or to check control hands before comboing off, and Timely Reinforcements because sometimes burn just has the godhand and this is the only way you're going to survive while advancing your plan A.
    Boros Charm is double duty - comes in control matches to buff up the aggro plan in case comboing off becomes too hairy, and also renders Nahiri and your board indestructible in response to wipes, Trophies, O Stones.
    Helix is likewise here for control matches for additional reach, while also improving the burn and other such aggro match ups. It helped a lot against Creeping Chill Dredge, thats for sure.
    Additional Intangible Virtues are for those matches where you want to lean toward aggro and away from combo. You typically drop Nahiris for these, since your tokens wouldn't be blocking.

Summary
    Game 1 - Double threat the opponent with tokens aggro and combo, twin style, sometimes as early as turn 3.
    Games 2 and 3 - Blank their sideboard by becoming a pure aggro/burn deck, or go deeper into combo with hand hate and protection with Boros charm.
    If you've made it this far, thank you for your interest in the deck. I hope I've piqued your interest with this humble brew, and I look forward to any feedback, or even your experiences with this list after trying it out.
    Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to annihilator 6 someone.
    Last edited by MarcWizard; 06-01-2019 at 01:47 AM. Reason: formatting

Re: [Primer] Mardu Creativity (Sword & Shield)

Reserved for updates

Hi guys,

This is MarcWizard from MTGS. I guess most of you know why.

Anyhow, I've got some formatting to clean up, will continue to develop and update on my deck here.

Thread Information