Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bolas's Swamp Thing

Re: Bolas's Swamp Thing

Food for thought regarding all those storm triggers if someone can't be targeted- Hunting Pack.

Makes a bunch of dudes to bum rush opponent, have bodies left over to sac to Citadel. A larger meaner version of Beacon of Creation. Also, thinking about a single Beacon of Unrest in SB, and maybe a Death Wish MD. Just make the options a bit more plastic to solve whatever may be out there.

Veil of Summer
    Leylines
    Removal (creature and/or artifact|enchantments)
    Discard

Food for thought since the investment has already been made...

Gold fishing, unmolested, getting a bunch of turn 3 wins. Usually includes 1 or 2 therapies.

// Legacy - Bolas's Dude Ramp Storm

// 60 Maindeck
    // 3 Artifact
    3 Bolas's Citadel

// 11 Creature
    4 Veteran Explorer
    1 Children of Korlis
    2 Dryad Arbor
    1 Siege Rhino
    1 Thragtusk
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Knight of the Reliquary

// 9 Instant
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Culling the Weak
    1 Crop Rotation

// 18 Land
    2 Bayou
    3 Swamp
    3 Forest
    1 Phyrexian Tower
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Plains
    1 Nurturing Peatland

// 19 Sorcery
    1 Doomsday
    2 Tendrils of Agony
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Diabolic Intent
    1 Death Wish
    1 Beacon of Unrest
    4 Imperial Seal

// 15 Sideboard
    // 1 Creature
    SB: 1 Carrion Feeder

// 8 Enchantment
    SB: 3 Leyline of the Void
    SB: 3 Leyline of Sanctity
    SB: 2 Seal of Primordium

// 4 Instant
    SB: 1 Hunting Pack
    SB: 3 Abrupt Decay

// 2 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Doomsday
    SB: 1 Beacon of Creation

The SB needs a lot of work, but I'm enjoying having the Death Wish in the deck, usually goes for the second Doomsday, but can get either token generator if necessary.

Hello hello hello, is there anybody out there?

Have to wait for M20 before all the cards are accessible anyway, but it feels good to goldfish. Scheming Symmetry feels great.
    Last edited by ahg113; 06-29-2019 at 12:30 AM.

Just to breath a little life into this.

Finally got this thing put together in paper (minus a Savannah, c'mon eBay.) A buddy made me hip to a spell that had alluded my attention before, Weather the Storm. So I moved Reclamation Sage to the SB, and cut Crop Rotation.

It's janky and I love it. My buddy was skeptical when I shared the deck list, but in goldfishing he enjoyed the zaniness of it. Feels unlucky not to get a kill before t4. Adding Deathwish with the life gain cards already there and a 2nd Doomsday in the board, the deck really does feel like it can win through almost anything. Creature damage, life loss, infiinite life. With two Doomsdays, it's nigh impossible to get decked. Has 7 tutors any card tutors, 3 green creature tutors, a recursive repeating spell,

Have only putzed around on Cockatrice still, may waste $30 and play this in an actual event if everything else in life falls right. Or I can dream about getting to a weekly and it'll only cost me $5.

Play this, test it, tune it, enjoy it. Make it better.

Random thought. Is there a green creature worth getting with GSZ that's must answer? I think the answer is no, or it'd be Progenitus or in Reanimator, but still, figure to ask. Oh to remember a day when Verdant Force was the bee's knees. Because yes, I do want to shove that card into this pile. Why? Because I am bad at magic. Verdant Force > Thragtusk?

3 Bolas's Citadel
    4 Veteran Explorer
    1 Children of Korlis
    2 Dryad Arbor
    1 Siege Rhino
    1 Thragtusk
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Culling the Weak
    2 Weather the Storm
    2 Bayou
    3 Swamp
    3 Forest
    1 Phyrexian Tower
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Plains
    1 Nurturing Peatland
    1 Doomsday
    2 Tendrils of Agony
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Diabolic Intent
    1 Death Wish
    1 Beacon of Unrest
    4 Scheming Symmetry

1 Carrion Feeder
    1 Reclamation Sage
    3 Leyline of the Void
    3 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Seal of Primordium
    1 Hunting Pack
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Doomsday
    1 Beacon of Creation

For the hell of it, because this is a different configuration than the first deck I considered with this title. I've been calling this version, Bolas's Dude Ramp Storm. Feel free to come up with a better list, and a better name.

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    Random thought. Is there a green creature worth getting with GSZ that's must answer? I think the answer is no, or it'd be Progenitus or in Reanimator, but still, figure to ask. Oh to remember a day when Verdant Force was the bee's knees. Because yes, I do want to shove that card into this pile. Why? Because I am bad at magic. Verdant Force > Thragtusk?
    I've been Nic Fitted by both Archon of Valor's Reach and Elderscale Wurm lately.

Quote Originally Posted by LOLWut View Post
    I've been Nic Fitted by both Archon of Valor's Reach and Elderscale Wurm lately.
    Interesting. Which did you find to be a more troublesome creature. I'm thinking the Archon.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

my thoughts when creating the list was that cards like siege rhino and thragtusk are effectively free off of citadel and don't cost a ton of mana with GSZ.
    -rob

I get that, but while gold fishing i've run into GSZ, plus mana, already got the two arbors, what to do? I've fetched thragtusk b4, which isn't bad, but not great.

Just musing for outside the box, although archon is disruption...

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    I get that, but while gold fishing i've run into GSZ, plus mana, already got the two arbors, what to do? I've fetched thragtusk b4, which isn't bad, but not great.

Just musing for outside the box, although archon is disruption...
    i'd recommend just scouring through the regular nicfit threads for options.
    -rob

So the combo is strong, the tutors just shy of what's actually wanted. Breeding Pit is a bad card, but would Bitterblossom or Dreadhorde Invasion be worthy adds?

- 1 Scheming Symmetry
    - 1 GSZ

Both tutors are very conditionally good, but one is only excellent with Citadel in play, and the other is a ramp spell that loses some effectiveness later in the game. Both are not good in multiples.

While Bitterblossom leans into the going wide for Citadel activation, it's unlikely that will make much of a difference, the games aren't intended to protract that long. So for price reasons only, going to test Dreadehorde Invasion as a 2 of. Smoke them if you got'em.

Also, the Scrubland, not really sought after much. Would that be better as another basic. Generally i do like the manabase. Bayou and Savannah make sense, Scrubland is questionable.

Edit- this missing piece is what prompted the nic fit gsz target, which really doesn't jive with the rest of the deck truly.

Putzing around on Cockatrice, I happened to peek in on a game with another Citadel engine deck.

user on cockatrice - DragonDayDragon:

// Citadel Storm

// 60 Maindeck
    // 22 Artifact
    4 Mox Opal
    2 Bolas's Citadel
    1 Aetherflux Reservoir
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Chrome Mox
    3 Welding Jar

// 3 Creature
    3 Goblin Welder

// 11 Instant
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    3 Weather the Storm

// 8 Land
    2 Bayou
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Badlands
    1 Swamp

// 3 Planeswalker
    3 Karn, the Great Creator

// 13 Sorcery
    4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Faithless Looting
    2 Burning Wish
    3 Trash for Treasure

// 15 Sideboard
    // 3 Artifact
    SB: 1 Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 1 Bolas's Citadel
    SB: 1 Pithing Needle

// 1 Creature
    SB: 1 Ashen Rider

// 3 Instant
    SB: 3 Assassin's Trophy

// 8 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Crippling Fatigue
    SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 1 By Force
    SB: 1 Shenanigans
    SB: 1 Trash for Treasure
    SB: 3 Reverent Silence

Just to put pen to paper ('ish). So Carrion Feeder is superfluous because Culling the Weak is a thing, and it can be included with two Doomsday for the infinite loop. So what to put in this new free found spot? Helm of Obedience and I'm unsure why it wasn't thought of earlier. Only because the deck has three Leylines in the SB, why not include a win-con with the don't lose con? I usually side out the Beacon of Unrest when finding what to do, but I keep it in now. And from the yard, the singleton still works with Doomsday, or Citadel, etc.

Still jamming away, need to find somewhere in the wild/irl to sling this slop. Keep brewing.

(Just for the sake of it, I usually side out one GSZ, an Explorer, Scheming, Diabolic Intent, and from there it depends on the match-up, but KotR, Thragtusk, those usually take a seat as well. If really pressed, a Citadel or the Beacon as well.

P.S. - I've been a big fan of Dreadhorde Invasion. Cheap, does work, present an actual threat, make all the sac cards a lot more live. Would include this or Bitterblossom in every list, am never upset to see one in hand to cast.

Necro -

This is the list I most recently played with-
    3 Bolas's Citadel

4 Veteran Explorer
    1 Children of Korlis
    2 Dryad Arbor
    1 Siege Rhino
    1 Thragtusk

2 Dreadhorde Invasion

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Culling the Weak
    2 Weather the Storm

2 Bayou
    3 Swamp
    3 Forest
    1 Phyrexian Tower
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Plains
    1 Nurturing Peatland

1 Doomsday
    2 Tendrils of Agony
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Diabolic Intent
    1 Death Wish
    1 Beacon of Unrest
    3 Scheming Symmetry

1 Helm of Obedience
    1 Reclamation Sage
    3 Leyline of the Void
    3 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Seal of Primordium
    1 Hunting Pack
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Doomsday
    1 Beacon of Creation

I like the deck, but it's missing a little, something. It's definitely fun to play, and when not in that REL cut-throat competition, it gets praise from the lookie-loos in the peanut gallery, and opponents aren't mad at ya either. I think the addition of Wishclaw Talisman can add something positive, another tutor. The downside of giving it to your opponent shouldn't* matter if the turn never passes. There's also the situation of acceleration, and discard, protection in the same way ANT/TES proactively use Duress/TS.

Obvious cuts are Beacon of Unrest (too cute), Knight of the Reliquary (low impact), Thragtusk (prefer Seige Rhino), then it gets difficult, maybe a V. Explorer (7 basics for 12 potential fetches), ?. What to add, initial thought is Duress, open to suggestions.

Also this deck is missing card draw. Top would be great, but Mirri's Guile, Sylvan Library, would have to do unless someone can think of something better.

Sep 2011

If you're on the creature-based plan, what about
    Goblin Welder
    Entomb

Getting Citadel into play seems like the hardest part and that would help.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    If you're on the creature-based plan, what about
    Goblin Welder
    Entomb

Getting Citadel into play seems like the hardest part and that would help.
    Up thread there is a post that was red heavy using the goblin package. I wanted to shy away from it because it relies more on artifacts, and at heart, i want to abuse doomsday as much as possible.

Sep 2011

The other nice thing about the red list is it's low in lands. With a high land count Bolas will do nothing a lot, unless you also have tutors.
    +4 Land Grant
    It lets you both lower the land count and then thin your deck of lands/reshuffle as you're going off.

Why not 4 Doomsday maindeck to maximize the Doomsdays?

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Why not 4 Doomsday maindeck to maximize the Doomsdays?
    It seems like you don't want to see Doomsday until you're going off, so running less than 4 could make sense. (Running a Shelldock Isle package or something else that turns doomsday into more of an enabler might change that.)

Is Dreadhorde Invasion supposed to be an enabler for Culling the Weak / Diabolic Intent?

Sep 2011

But it's easier to cast Doomsday than to hardcast Bolas, so if there's a winning Doomsday pile, why not have the option to just play that?

Can the deck only win with hardcast Bolas + Doomsday as a 2-card combo?

Dreadhorde seems to be for token fodder since you'll never survive to 6/6 lifelink. Bitterblossom seems strictly better, making a new token every turn, dodging removal better, and blocking flyers. Bitterblossom can also just win games. The deck should have 4 Veteran Explorer too. You need sac fodder and as many lands as possible, otherwiser 3BBB is not happening.

Dreadhorde is there as a fodder producer. Up thread I said it was a budget decision to grab dreadhorde instead of Bitterblossom. But in effect, they both produce a token a turn if the previous token was used to chump or sac.

Culling and d.rit are the enablers to hardcast Citadel. It's true, there's not really a way to win without Citadel in play. There's no card draw to make a Doomsday pile legit upon resolution.

If testing, feel free to swap Bitterblossom in.

Shelldock would be a very cool trick, but adding U completely warps the deck. And lands are important, but Land Grant shines in decks that run few lands, like Belcher, or gimmick Manaless Dredge decks. An opening hand of 2 lands and Land Grant is a tough keep, because land grant doesn't combo with any other aspect of the deck.

I do appreciate the traffic though. The more ideas the better.

There's a lot of ways to abuse Citadel, this is attempting to mash Citadel in-between Nic Fit and Doomsday.

Thread Information