Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The London Mulligan

Jul 2016
    Lisbon

The London Mulligan

It was confirmed that the London Mulligan is going to be implemented in legacy.
    Source: https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...pnGL5w8Ba3BVgQ

What are your thoughts? I'm afraid it will kill fast combo decks because it's going to be easier to search for hate.
    Currently Playing

Legacy

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Re: The London Mulligan

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco Pires View Post

What are your thoughts? I'm afraid it will kill fast combo decks because it's going to be easier to search for hate.
    Also works the other way, making it easier for combo decks to find their combo.
    And as this rule also helps pre-board, I'd say this might benefit combo more than non-combo.

But regardless of whether this helps an archetype, I think this is a very good rule.
    It reduces the worst part of MtG: the games where to just mull into a loss.
    To me, that takes so much fun out of the game.

This rule will help tremendously in making post-mulligan games better.
    You can still mull and get hopeless cards only, but the chances are much better to draw into playable stuff.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Well, it's a little later than some of us thought, but I think it is good for the game overall.

I don't think it is going to change the metagame paradigm all that much. Some all-in Chalice decks likely do better, which means some mid-range decks that can cope with that likely do better, and fast combo is likely a little better too. Even as someone who doesn't like combo decks, I don't see this shift as something negative for the format. Just means it's something to prepare for.

Also, this is likely what many people have been dreaming of, because I do see it partly as an actual stealth nerf to Cantrips.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

I think it'll do the opposite.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

I think, still think since I heard of this mulligan version, that it will make chalice decks better, which will make fair non-blue decks better, which will make combo and fair blue decks better, going full circle thus increasing the amount of decks that can be played competitively. If show and tell becomes too good, I doubt it, some card may be banned. Hopefully not griselbrand, because that ruins some archetypes of decks, otoh griselbrand seems like overly good so maybe that'd be ok.

And agree that reducing the amount of non-games is great in itself.

Important quote about their evaluation of Legacy through MTGO:

One characteristic of Legacy is that there are very efficient one-for-one answers to most threats, which has the effect of making raw card quantity important. That in turn means choosing to mulligan aggressively to a particular card or combo is more of a cost, and so we weren't seeing that strategy be very successful.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

For reference, the wording of the comp rules change:

103.4. Each player draws a number of cards equal to their starting hand size, which is normally seven. (Some effects can modify a player's starting hand size.) A player who is dissatisfied with their initial hand may take a mulligan. First, the starting player declares whether they will take a mulligan. Then each other player in turn order does the same. Once each player has made a declaration, all players who decided to take mulligans do so at the same time. To take a mulligan, a player shuffles the cards in their hand back into their library, draws a new hand of cards equal to their starting hand size, then puts a number of those cards equal to the number of times that player has taken a mulligan on the bottom of their library in any order. Once a player chooses not to take a mulligan, the remaining cards become that player's opening hand, and that player may not take any further mulligans. This process is then repeated until no player takes a mulligan. A player can take mulligans until their opening hand would be zero cards.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Hmmmm... a bit concerned about the effect this will have on Legacy but I guess Wizards have the data. At least there should be less non-games though feels like it will help combo overall.

I highly doubt they know how it'll affect Legacy. Their reasoning is anecdotal, at best. I mean, they literally just printed Timetwister and are going forward with this rule change. Who knows what the hell will happen.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

this really benefits decks (all decks) in terms of shaving a land off, and helps the decks that already are a bit low in lands.
    -rob

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

While I think it will be great for combo players I also realize they just infused a pile of new cards into eternal formats with Modern Horizons. We have effectively 4 more copies of Force of Will and Force of Vigor available, along with the pre-existing Leylines, that all allow you to interact with degenerate things even while on the play.

Things still need to shake out but I feel that overall it allows broken things to happen a little more consistently while also giving more tools to fight those same broken things. I think it will be a net-gain, especially in terms of how powerful the respective formats will feel (mostly Modern and Legacy, Vintage already seems to be pretty degenerate.)
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Time to sleeve up All Spells again.

I guess I should be happy.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Pretty much any deck with a hard counter in their sideboard gets way better odds.

But, at the same time if you DONT have the hard counter, the odds of the combo deck go up a ton since they can find their stuff better.

Not just legacy but all competitive formats!

I'm not sure I mind it at all but I do mind having to wait so long. Kinda like how I'm mad that I have to wait two weeks to play Modern because even when I own the reprints. I already sleeved up the Carrion Feeders, WotC!

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by Bithlord View Post
    Pretty much any deck with a hard counter in their sideboard gets way better odds.

But, at the same time if you DONT have the hard counter, the odds of the combo deck go up a ton since they can find their stuff better.
    Chancellor of the Annex's time to shine has come.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by pettdan View Post
    I think, still think since I heard of this mulligan version, that it will make chalice decks better, which will make fair non-blue decks better, which will make combo and fair blue decks better, going full circle thus increasing the amount of decks that can be played competitively. If show and tell becomes too good, I doubt it, some card may be banned. Hopefully not griselbrand, because that ruins some archetypes of decks, otoh griselbrand seems like overly good so maybe that'd be ok.

And agree that reducing the amount of non-games is great in itself.

Important quote about their evaluation of Legacy through MTGO:
    What exactly does Griselbrand add to the game? I think of all of the games he's resolved against me o may have had 1 interesting game
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    What exactly does Griselbrand add to the game? I think of all of the games he's resolved against me o may have had 1 interesting game
    The only time Grisselbrand was exciting was when I forgot he had lifelink and for a brief moment I thought my opponent killed himself paying the 7.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

The only time Grisselbrand was exciting was when I forgot he had lifelink and for a brief moment I thought my opponent killed himself paying the 7.
    Nah, got you beat, it was exciting when I won a game vs. Reaimator after my opponent got him into play, going to 4, and then swings in with the Iona that was locking me out. See, I had a Mirran Crusader in play.

I ended up winning game 3 on a mull to 3 as well, Plains, Vial, Spirit o' da' Lab. First draw was StP. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Nah
    As the expert on my emotions I have to disagree with you on what I was feeling at the time.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

As the expert on my emotions I have to disagree with you on what I was feeling at the time.
    Incorrect, I am indeed a better authority on what you are feeling at any given time,

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I think the only time Griselbrand is ever interesting is when the opponent is actually a moron and just kills themselves by drawing too many cards and but realizing they are dead on board
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Thread Information