Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Core Set 2020 Spoilers

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: Core Set 2020 Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Every day I'm more happy that top was banned
    Yeah, the card is just really absurdly designed and overly abusive in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    They've printed a whole slew of these top deck things recently - precognition field, epic experiment, citadel, and now mystic forge.
    Which is exactly what I figured would happen and was a factor for why it got banned.

On the sillier side: Can you cast morph creatures face down with Mystic Forge?
    I think the answer is no, unless the Morph card was an Artifact or a colorless non-land on it's front side, because most Morph cards are only a colorless spell on the stack, not in any other zone.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

They've printed a whole slew of these top deck things recently - precognition field, epic experiment, citadel, and now mystic forge.

I wonder whether mystic forge will find a spot in affinity.

On the sillier side: Can you cast morph creatures face down with Mystic Forge?
    No, because they are still whatever color they are while in your library - but can't hurt to ask :)

Also figure this should be posted up, since it's hits cards you self-discard & cards you're forced to discard.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post
    No, because they are still whatever color they are while in your library - but can't hurt to ask :)
    but, You can probably cast with mystic forge an artifact card that has a morph cost. At the end of the game you'll have to reveal it in order to prove it was an artifact and a morph creature.
    However, there are some spells that might shuffle the creature in the Library without letting the opponent see what was the card and that might be a problem so they might want to remove that possibility by creating a special ruling.
    Anyone knows what happens when you cast for example totally lost on a morphed creature? does it's owner has to reveal it?

Regarding the "it's not colorless in the library"

702.36cTo cast a card using its morph ability, turn it face down. It becomes a 2/2 face-down creature cardwith no text, no name, no subtypes, and no mana cost. Any effects or prohibitions that would apply to casting a card with these characteristics (and not the face-up card’s characteristics) are applied to casting this card ...
    707.4. Objects that are cast face down are turned face down before they are put onto the stack, so effects that care about the characteristics of a spell will see only the face-down spell’s characteristics. Any effects or prohibitions that would apply to casting an object with these characteristics (and not the face-up object’s characteristics) are applied to casting this object. The permanent the spell becomes will be a face-down permanent

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Anyone knows what happens when you cast for example totally lost on a morphed creature? does it's owner has to reveal it?
    They get revealed:

707.9. If a face-down permanent moves from the battlefield to any other zone, its owner must reveal it to all players as theymove it. If a face-down spell moves from the stack to any zone other than the battlefield, its owner must reveal it to all players as theymove it. If a player leaves the game, all face-down permanents and spells owned by that player must be revealed to all players. At the end of each game, all face-down permanents and spells must be revealed to all players.

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Any thoughts on Brought Back (Faith's Reward for two target permanents) in legacy? Recycling two fetchlands for WW is pretty strong.
    Gets back Lotus Blooms
    Also Lion's Eye Diamonds, whose ability does not require tapping, which not everyone knows.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Also Lion's Eye Diamonds, whose ability does not require tapping, which not everyone knows.

Evoke creatures like mulldrifter and ingot chewer work well, also martyr of sands in life deck, children of korlis, anything with a sac outlet, maybe even baubles even thought it aint second sunrise

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post

I'm not sure this works actually. You would need to cast this holding priority and crack LED, but you can't Target the LED with this unfortunately because it isn't in the yard with this on the stack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post

Also figure this should be posted up, since it's hits cards you self-discard & cards you're forced to discard.
    Can we abuse this with cycling cards or other crazy things like LED or Fluctuator?

Quote Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
    Can we abuse this with cycling cards or other crazy things like LED or Fluctuator?
    The problem is that you pay 4 to get them back, which is pretty huge by legacy standards. Also, we already have Shadow of the Grave.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
    i would look to use it with cards that say Discard X, Draw X. i'm not sure the effect is strong enough. i do like that idea of using it with cycling cards. that's a nice interaction i overlooked.
    -rob

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

I'm not sure this works actually. You would need to cast this holding priority and crack LED, but you can't Target the LED with this unfortunately because it isn't in the yard with this on the stack.
    I was more thinking about LEDs that had been binned earlier in the turn, and getting to use them twice in a turn because their wording avoids Brought Back's ETB tapped restriction, but definitely, it's not as abusable because you can't pay for Brought Back with LEDs and bring back the same ones.

Presumably there are intervening actions that have allowed you to draw/tutor cards resulting in this being in your hand the turn you "go off" but after having used the LED's.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I actually missed that stuff comes back tapped. That kind of sucks. Doesn't work with Lotus Bloom then
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bithlord View Post
    Presumably there are intervening actions that have allowed you to draw/tutor cards resulting in this being in your hand the turn you "go off" but after having used the LED's.
    Could be nice if you go the Past in Flames route.

Something like get 2 leds, flashback Brought Back them leds again... much strom much mana...

But you cant grab it with burning wish so yeah its probaly too cute considering it only works with leds!
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Brought Back works with 2x Phyrexian Dreadnought, too:
    Play both, sacrifice both, bring back, sacrifice one to the other.

But probably not worth the trouble.

bruizar

I'm loving standard elementals. Will probably creep into modern as a fringe tribal deck.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    I'm loving standard elementals. Will probably creep into modern as a fringe tribal deck.
    Do you have a decklist? Risen Reef seems hilarious.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Do you have a decklist? Risen Reef seems hilarious.
    The first list that emerged was this one:
    https://twitter.com/Em_TeeGee/status...53647248490497

But now the pro's are all over Omnath/Chandra/Risen Reef/Steamkin Runaway/Nissa (Nissa makes elementals)

More lists here:
    https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/frank...the-elementals

For Modern, Seasoned Pyromancer and Young Pyromancer combine incredibly well with Risen Reef.

Speaking of hilarious standard lists, I've been messing around with Dinosaur Domain Golos Field on Arena, and while I wouldn't necessarily say it's good, it's a blast to play.

Thread Information