Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Core Set 2020 Spoilers

Re: Core Set 2020 Spoilers

What's preventing you from targeting yourself twice with scheming? Search shuffle search shuffle put the last one of top?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Pittplayer View Post
    What's preventing you from targeting yourself twice with scheming? Search shuffle search shuffle put the last one of top?
    The Comprehensive rules:

114.3. The same target can't be chosen multiple times for any one instance of the word "target" on a spell or ability. If the spell or ability uses the word "target" in multiple places, the same object or player can be chosen once for each instance of the word "target" (as long as it fits the targeting criteria). This rule applies both when choosing targets for a spell or ability and when changing targets or choosing new targets for a spell or ability (see rule 114.7).
    One instance of the word target, so you can't choose the same player twice.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Jul 2008
    Seattle, WA

Ninja'd

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Pretty weird card. According to Maro, we're supposed to get a cycle of wedge legends, so this is the apparently the Jeskai one.

Need a just worse Brute Strength? Well, then is Infuriate the card for you!

Turning every Elemental into Coiling Oracle is potentially absurd. Pairing this with Tempt with Vengeance sounds hilarious. Makes me want to brew some Temur Elementals list.

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

New red leyline

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Leyline of fight storm. People play a lot of stuff that targets players.

Mar 2007

Goblin Ringleader reprint is kinda nice for Modern Goblins. Now the gang is almost together again.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Leyline of fight storm.
    How does this work against Tendrils? Do all triggers go on the stack and resolve before the first copy resolves?

Might be a cool SB, although narrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

How does this work against Tendrils? Do all triggers go on the stack and resolve before the first copy resolves?
    The triggers from the copies certainly do. I don't know whether the one for the original spell resolves before the copied spells do off the top of my head.

Mar 2007

This is pretty damn good as a SB card.

Quote Originally Posted by Glass House View Post

Turning every Elemental into Coiling Oracle is potentially absurd. Pairing this with Tempt with Vengeance sounds hilarious. Makes me want to brew some Temur Elementals list.
    Young Pyromancer, Cabal Therapy, all the cantrips in the universe...

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

This is pretty damn good as a SB card.
    hey Infect!

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    So, at worst, it replaces itself immediately, can potentially ramp, pitches to Force of Will/Negation/Vigor and can do incredible stupid shit with Young Pyromancer? And the effect stacks with multiple copies. That seems worth a try.

Edit: Also works with Master of Waves.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    The new Vamp tutor... holy fuck. That's busted as hell. Like, here's the deal. Random deck tutoring for the best card in their deck doesn't mean shit when you just tutored for "win the game". At least fucking Top is banned.

I like that they were willing to try another shot at "fair" tutors, but this is a mistake, because the drawback isn't actually something a combo deck should care about. It's like Pact of Negation as a "fixed" force of will, it's actually only useful to decks that don't plan to still be playing next turn.

I'll put good money on Scheming getting banned in Legacy.

Also, I really love the new Soul Sisters angel's art. And hate the Naya Angel's art. If I were WotC I would not have paid money for that crap.

EDIT: for those thinking of overwrought ways to "draw a card" - I'll just remind you that A) we just got a new cycle of lands with those words printed on them, and B) there are easily a dozen cheap artifacts with those three words printed on them - like the various eggs or spheres that also work just fine.

EDIT2: I really hope they do get a cheap tutor that doesn't enable combo right someday, I'd love to be able to play a silver-bullet "the Rock" type of deck again.
    If personal tutor has been legal forever with no problem then I seriously doubt this one causes any issues

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    Zendikar's Roil,Omnath, Locus of Rage or Rite of Replication with kicker also work. It's pretty decent with Warp World and other stuff that puts bodies into play in bulk.

Firecat Blitz is a bit more reasonable.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Firecat Blitz is a bit more reasonable.
    I think someone else already mentioned Tempt with Vengeance which just seems better, because it costs less and your opponent would have to be half insane to double your tokens.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    If personal tutor has been legal forever with no problem then I seriously doubt this one causes any issues
    Personal Tutor - not banned
    Imperial Seal - banned

Hmmm. By your logic the above is wrong, yet most people can understand why one is ok, but the other isn't. Allowing your opponent some random library manipulation that they are more than likely not able to take advantage of before you win isn't necessarily a worse drawback than losing two life.

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    that they are more than likely not able to take advantage of before you win
    Not so sure about it. If you play against any fast combo deck like Belcher and they get the missing piece to go off, you lose. Thinking like that, this cards feels like Spoils of the Vault. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose (by helping your opponent win). It's a very risky turn 1 play.
    Control decks just search for FoW against you. Don't forget that the tutor is also card disadvantage.

So maybe it will turn out, that it's just not that great.

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Interesting..

Thread Information