Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Core Set 2020 Spoilers

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Re: Core Set 2020 Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post

Seems pretty good... Mid-game it's a 3/4 for with upside.
    It's 6:30 AM and I'm sleepy and hungry, and I don't play Elves, but even though the land ETB tapped, I feel like Elves would like a 1-drop Elf that tutors for Cradle (or Pendelhaven), right? Also, nice stats on the creature itself.

Gets Dark Depths and Stage.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    It's 6:30 AM and I'm sleepy and hungry, and I don't play Elves, but even though the land ETB tapped, I feel like Elves would like a 1-drop Elf that tutors for Cradle (or Pendelhaven), right? Also, nice stats on the creature itself.
    Sounds good, but as a GSZ target, it can't get Cradle active before T4. T2 fetch Elf, T3 fetch tapped Cradle, T4 use Cradle. Something to keep in mind, but probably pretty good nonetheless. It also adds Wasteland protection to a certain degree. Or get around Bloodmoon to fetch more basics.

May 2019
    San Diego

Wait does the red leyline work against tendrils? to the best of my understanding it doesnt, cuz like the copies all go on the stack, and then each pick a target, leyline deals you 2, then tendrils deals 2 adn you gain 2, repeat

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

"Core set 2020, because we forgot to put the Elves in MH."
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Jun 2019
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by MScott View Post
    Wait does the red leyline work against tendrils? to the best of my understanding it doesnt, cuz like the copies all go on the stack, and then each pick a target, leyline deals you 2, then tendrils deals 2 adn you gain 2, repeat
    Since the leyline triggers on "becoming the target", I'm fairly sure that it kills you before Tendrils will resolve. Since each copy goes on the stack targeting all at once the leyline triggers will all go on at once as well over the Tendrils triggers. Kind of the same way that Valakut triggers happen. But this is defiantly something to ask a real judge.

Stack:
    Tendrils
    Storm Trigger -- resolved
    Leyline Trigger -- resolved
    Tendrils xStormCount
    Leyline Trigger xStormCount

So, you're never actually going to cast this for 7. But as a creature, and as an effect that doesn't end when the creature dies, and as an effect that can target any permanent type (including lands) - is there some weird use for this in reanimator?

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post

So, you're never actually going to cast this for 7. But as a creature, and as an effect that doesn't end when the creature dies, and as an effect that can target any permanent type (including lands) - is there some weird use for this in reanimator?
    Seems better than Gilded Drake vs S&T since it can steal their Omnis while giving them jackshit, but that's about it.

May 2015
    PDX

More likely to see play as a totally uncastable -1 SB slot in decks that can’t beat SnT.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittplayer View Post
    Honestly, Field of the Dead isnt even playable in standard or modern. It's actually one of the worst cards I have ever seen. Good luck trying to assemble your 7 lands while show and tell drops Emrakul t2 or Storm goes off t2. Like, what deck would that card even be good against? Ever hear of a card named Wasteland? Plus, miracles has no way to fetch for a land, so what run 4? What lands are you replacing? This is better then Entreat the Angels? Mentor? Jace? I don't even get why this card is being suggested at all.
    4x Standstill
    1x Back to Basics

2x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    2x Narset, Parter of Veils
    2x Teferi, Time Raveler

4x Force of Will
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    4x Brainstorm
    2x Dovin's Veto
    3x Supreme Verdict
    2x Council's Judgment

2x Crucible of Worlds
    3x Expedition Map

4x Prismatic Vista
    4x Flooded Strand
    3x Island
    1x Snow-Covered Island
    1x Plains
    1x Snow-Covered Plains
    1x Tundra
    1x Karakas
    1x Hall of Heliod's Generosity
    1x Academy Ruins
    1x Field of the Dead
    1x Wasteland

Maybe a 4-color "It's the Fear" type shell would be better? I dunno, but it's not remotely hard to build a viable legacy control deck that wins lategame off of Field thanks in very large part to Snow basics. You guys are all really sleeping on this card. It's not a format changer, but it absolutely gives any control or long-game deck a huge advantage in any game that goes long.

No, it won't stop a turn 2 Show and Tell, but why the fuck would it? That's not it's job, that's Force of Will's job. It's job is to be a huge pile of inevitability vs. other controllish decks and to get big value from fetchlands in the late game.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    4x Standstill
    1x Back to Basics

2x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    2x Narset, Parter of Veils
    2x Teferi, Time Raveler

4x Force of Will
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    4x Brainstorm
    2x Dovin's Veto
    3x Supreme Verdict
    2x Council's Judgment

2x Crucible of Worlds
    3x Expedition Map

4x Prismatic Vista
    4x Flooded Strand
    3x Island
    1x Snow-Covered Island
    1x Plains
    1x Snow-Covered Plains
    1x Tundra
    1x Karakas
    1x Hall of Heliod's Generosity
    1x Academy Ruins
    1x Field of the Dead
    1x Wasteland

Maybe a 4-color "It's the Fear" type shell would be better? I dunno, but it's not remotely hard to build a viable legacy control deck that wins lategame off of Field thanks in very large part to Snow basics. You guys are all really sleeping on this card. It's not a format changer, but it absolutely gives any control or long-game deck a huge advantage in any game that goes long.

No, it won't stop a turn 2 Show and Tell, but why the fuck would it? That's not it's job, that's Force of Will's job. It's job is to be a huge pile of inevitability vs. other controllish decks and to get big value from fetchlands in the late game.
    Runs back to basics in a deck that wants to run a bunch of non basics. Runs map over ponder. And wants to run a t7 clock in a standstill shell without mishras factories.. right.

Flickerwisp, Eldrazi Displacer, Venser the Sojurner

They just spoiled an upgraded Voltaic Key.

Manifold Key 1
    1: Tap: Untap another target artifact
    3: Tap: Target creature can't be blocked this turn.

Might even lead to a Chalice less Eldrazi Post or MUD deck, that plays 10-12 Monoliths, 8 Voltaic Key, either 4 Metalworker or 4 Cloudpost and a couple of Candelabra of Tawnos and just aim to hardcast massive Eldrazi, Ballistas, KGC + Lattice or an Ugin by turn 3 every game. Will need work to not be a glass canon and to be resilient to mass artifact destruction but it's a going to be a very fun deck to play.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

I really like this, especially since I am still fooling around with a Wrenn and Six deck. Maybe something only in Gruul with no splash? Madness.

4 Wrenn and Six

4 Elvish Reclaimer
    4 Tarmogoyf
    2 Other Flex Search Spots
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Scavenging Ooze

4 Green Sun Zenith
    4 Punishing Fire
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Life from the Loam
    2 Sylvan Library
    4 Mox Diamond

4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Wasteland
    4 Grove of the burnwillows
    1 GhostQuarter
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Karakas
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Thespian Stage
    1 Blast Zone
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Mountain
    1 Forest
    1 Taiga
    1 Sheltered Thicket

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    They just spoiled an upgraded Voltaic Key.

Manifold Key 1
    1: Tap: Untap another target artifact
    3: Tap: Target creature can't be blocked this turn.

Might even lead to a Chalice less Eldrazi Post or MUD deck, that plays 10-12 Monoliths, 8 Voltaic Key, either 4 Metalworker or 4 Cloudpost and a couple of Candelabra of Tawnos and just aim to hardcast massive Eldrazi, Ballistas, KGC + Lattice or an Ugin by turn 3 every game. Will need work to not be a glass canon and to be resilient to mass artifact destruction but it's a going to be a very fun deck to play.
    Why not just play taxing Spheres over Chalice for disruption? Although the lack of synergy with 3sphere kinda sucks.

Edit:

So why does the anti-blue card have to cost twice as much as the rest of the cycle? For crying out loud!

Looks cool but I would cut a couple of Elvish Reclaimer (you can GSZ for one if you need) and play some Crop Rotations instead.

Crop Rotation does the same thing but a turn faster and for two mana cheaper and the land comes into play untapped, though it can't be done every turn, I still think it's the stronger card, especially when you want to win by grabbing a Thespian's Stage to pair with Dark Depths.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    Looks cool but I would cut a couple of Elvish Reclaimer (you can GSZ for one if you need) and play some Crop Rotations instead.

Crop Rotation does the same thing but a turn faster and for two mana cheaper and the land comes into play untapped, though it can't be done every turn, I still think it's the stronger card, especially when you want to win by grabbing a Thespian's Stage to pair with Dark Depths.
    Absolutely correct - just a general idea and obviously not polished. It might end up looking like a Lands list mixed with . . . what . . . Zoo/Maverick?

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Absolutely correct - just a general idea and obviously not polished. It might end up looking like a Lands list mixed with . . . what . . . Zoo/Maverick?
    Since it's GSZ-able and Elves has untap effects, it could fetch the entire DD combo and activate it the next turn.

Thread Information