T2, emblem
    2 damage, 17
    T3, emblem
    3 damage, 14
    T4, emblem
    4 damage, 10
    T5, emblem
    5 damage, 5
    T6 Aria of Flame!? What are you doing? 15 Cast the 4 spells you drew, 15-1-2-3-4, 5. Chandra emblem.
    They die on the upkeep.
    T1 -> 6 mana -> Burning Wish -> Empty the Warrens for 12-14 goblins.
    T2 12 damage, 8
    T3 dead

Of course if you have 7 mana you can just go
    T1 -> Belcher -> 40 damage

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: Core Set 2020 Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    T1 -> 6 mana -> Burning Wish -> Empty the Warrens for 12-14 goblins.
    T2 12 damage, 8
    T3 dead

Of course if you have 7 mana you can just go
    T1 -> Belcher -> 40 damage
    Well with this theoretical deck at least in the case of Belcher you actually get to run lands. That's usually a good plus. Also this shits on Force of Will
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Also this shits on Force of Will
    Unless you plan on tapping 6 Mountain, not really. They Force one of the rituals (e.g. Desperate Ritual, Seething Song, LED, Manamorphose) to bottleneck you on mana and make you fizzle, in case your win condition was Empty the Warrens from hand (can't Force).

A major drawback is Chandra requires you to hit 6 mana without LED. Belcher's expensive win lines can use LED: 6 mana for Burning Wish into EtW (cracking LED), 7 mana for Belcher + activate. Without LED they only need 4 mana (EtW from hand, or cast Belcher and pass). 6 mana without LED is not easy for that deck and will definitely lose to FoW on Seething Song.

You can play more lands to hit 6 mana, but then it's not turn 1.

Jun 2019
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Is it just me or did they change Chandra's features to be asian in this set? Like, I did a quick google image search of Chandra to double check, and her features are pretty noticeably changed here, in all three pictures by two different artists, so it's not just one persons interpretation.

Anyone else seeing that? Or am I just old/blind/crazy?
    I think it's just Anna's style. If you look at her other work they seem to be along those lines.
    https://scryfall.com/search?q=a%3A%E...%9D&unique=art

Also, you're more noticing the shadow her brow casts over her eyes, since her eyes are so light and the image quality isn't stellar.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Unless you plan on tapping 6 Mountain, not really. They Force one of the rituals (e.g. Desperate Ritual, Seething Song, LED, Manamorphose) to bottleneck you on mana and make you fizzle, in case your win condition was Empty the Warrens from hand (can't Force).

A major drawback is Chandra requires you to hit 6 mana without LED. Belcher's expensive win lines can use LED: 6 mana for Burning Wish into EtW (cracking LED), 7 mana for Belcher + activate. Without LED they only need 4 mana (EtW from hand, or cast Belcher and pass). 6 mana without LED is not easy for that deck and will definitely lose to FoW on Seething Song.

You can play more lands to hit 6 mana, but then it's not turn 1.
    And this deck gets to be much more consistent so even if it's not turn 1, turning a ritual into a hymn is probably fine too. This deck has a possible secondary game plan of turn 1 blood moons or something equally devastating. There's a reason big red sneak attack is generally considered to be better than Belcher
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    And this deck gets to be much more consistent so even if it's not turn 1, turning a ritual into a hymn is probably fine too. This deck has a possible secondary game plan of turn 1 blood moons or something equally devastating. There's a reason big red sneak attack is generally considered to be better than Belcher
    Yeah Chandra is easier to cast in a Big Red shell. The question is whether she's better at 6 mana than just playing Karn into Mycosynth Lattice, Sneak/Through the Breach into Emrakul, or going off with Ruby Storm. Those other plays basically win the game on the spot. Chandra's does beat FoW and can control the board and slowly win, but is that better than one of those other big plays?
    Last edited by FTW; 06-12-2019 at 03:01 AM.

bruizar

I like the mythic pw, would be interesting to play this in red mud. Too bad it is double red instead of single red, would be nice to go ancient tomb, monolith, mountain, chandra emblem or removal

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

I did not have started to properly check MH cards to maybe incorporate something into my decks and we have another set incoming. If you are not treating this game as a fun hobby, you have to playtest all the time or have some inside information. This game is becoming more and more a Money Sink and too much time consuming. Not wandering Legacy tourny are becoming less and less popular.

Concerning Chandra:
    The Rare might be good in some UR Prowess/UR Pyromacer deck.
    Mythic in some Stax Shell, the emblem fits well into the whole concept of a stax deck (i still think the "emblem" might be too stronk), but for 6 mana might be a bit to slow. Her -X is great to control the board. #

Good cards, I am still waiting for a good G/GB PW.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
    Don't worry! When then decide it's time they'll make 40 of them all once...

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    red mud.
    Clay?

WotC has heard the demands for "more than just damage" and has decided to include the ephemeral elementals part of Red's portfolio more heavily.

The rare one seems like it has a bit of potential. The uncommon is another enabler for planebound accomplice jank.

I'm guessing the mythic is intended as a way to give red decks reach against control.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Rufus, the mythic is a very interesting to me because it looks like it puts red in a position that is hard to make work - a red deck with inevitability. In fact I think this card will get paired with blue or white to avoid that conundrum. I actually applaud these guys for carving out this space. A few more cards like this and we might get the threshold necessary for Modern (probably not Legacy) to make a go of red control.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

And just because you want it so much, with Core 2020 one of the more pernicious feature of Arena moves into the paper world:

1. Best-of-one events. More Magic, less waiting. These events will run in Premium locations between August 1 and September 15, and they'll be identifiable in the Store and Event Locator.
    https://wpn.wizards.com/en/article/m...er-should-know

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
    And just because you want it so much, with Core 2020 one of the more pernicious feature of Arena moves into the paper world:

If this becomes the norm, plus the London Muligan will non-combo decks be forced to just run 4 FOW and 4 FON to survive turns 1-2?

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Belcher players can go play coinflip with each other while everyone else actually goes and plays magic in 3 game rounds

The WAR gimmick was kinda cool but I really don't want to see MtG devolve in to planeswalker central. They made JTMS in the early days and that should have been a good lesson in why they shouldn't muck about with this stupid card type.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    The WAR gimmick was kinda cool but I really don't want to see MtG devolve in to planeswalker central. They made JTMS in the early days and that should have been a good lesson in why they shouldn't muck about with this stupid card type.
    Just eratta all removal spells. Terminate can hit planeswalkers now. Lillana can be pushed. Sorin and Nahari can each beat their swords into plowshares.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Just eratta all removal spells. Terminate can hit planeswalkers now. Lillana can be pushed. Sorin and Nahari can each beat their swords into plowshares.
    I wish at least incidental player damage like volcanic fallout and fiery confluence at least could still take out walkers

Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post

1. Best-of-one events. More Magic, less waiting. These events will run in Premium locations between August 1 and September 15, and they'll be identifiable in the Store and Event Locator.
    Me going to different stores and acting goofy, hustling best-of-one tables with Manaless

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
    I did not have started to properly check MH cards to maybe incorporate something into my decks and we have another set incoming. If you are not treating this game as a fun hobby, you have to playtest all the time or have some inside information. This game is becoming more and more a Money Sink and too much time consuming. Not wandering Legacy tourny are becoming less and less popular.

Concerning Chandra:
    The Rare might be good in some UR Prowess/UR Pyromacer deck.
    Mythic in some Stax Shell, the emblem fits well into the whole concept of a stax deck (i still think the "emblem" might be too stronk), but for 6 mana might be a bit to slow. Her -X is great to control the board. #

Yes im getting serious player and wallet fatigue. Ifthey keep printing so manysets i will etop bothering. I already stopped playing standard due to all the supplemental sets that i need to buy to keep my eternal collection up to date

Thread Information