Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Core Set 2020 Spoilers

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: Core Set 2020 Spoilers

If ever there was a time to sandbag a Brainstorm, this is it. I don't know if it's worth the risk. You can tutor your card, they get theirs, they Brainstorm in response to your Scour. Or, in corner cases, Thought Scour you in response to yours and you've really screwed the pooch.

I'm skeptical.

Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    If ever there was a time to sandbag a Brainstorm, this is it. I don't know if it's worth the risk. You can tutor your card, they get theirs, they Brainstorm in response to your Scour. Or, in corner cases, Thought Scour you in response to yours and you've really screwed the pooch.

I'm skeptical.
    And a clever opponent without a way to answer your thought scour would look for a middle card, and not the card that would win him the game just to be sure he either draws a not useless card or he doesn't loose on the spot :)
    also FoW exists.

Planar Rebirth.dec!

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Scheming Symmetry looks pretty good in Lantern Control, e.g. together with Mill rocks.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post

Planar Rebirth.dec!
    Urborg shenanigans intensify

Urborg + fetchlands are going to a fantastic combo for this. Throw in a CoW and this thing is going to be a bitch if not answered immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    And a clever opponent without a way to answer your thought scour would look for a middle card, and not the card that would win him the game just to be sure he either draws a not useless card or he doesn't loose on the spot :)
    also FoW exists.
    I don't think the strat with thought scour is that you are hoping to mill their best card, I think the strat is that you're planning to win that turn with your card and a cantrip to get it, thought scour is just the best cantrip in that circumstance. The worst case scenario is that you're playing against a blue deck, they tutor for FoW and have the brainstorm, but you probably have duresses in your combo deck anyway. Idk.

Edit: You can also cast the cantrip after it and crack LED in response to make a similar effect to infernal tutor. Just adds another piece of redundancy to UB combo decks perhaps.
    Junk and Stoned Rhinos.

Quote Originally Posted by sco0ter View Post
    Scheming Symmetry looks pretty good in Lantern Control, e.g. together with Mill rocks.
    It looks pretty strong - full stop. People are trying to 'symmetry break' it with fancy stuff, but you can just run it with draw effects so that you get the card you tutored for first.

Twin tutor -> Manamorphose / Street Wraith / Chromatic orb -> whatever.

There are obviously also 'fun' things to pair it with like Archive Trap.

Mar 2007

That thing is evasive. There might be something good to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

That thing is evasive. There might be something good to do with it.
    It's a reprint
    Junk and Stoned Rhinos.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Jain_Mor View Post
    It's a reprint
    Oh well, nevermind then.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Regulator looks very strong for the 2nd ability. 1st ability is just a bonus.

So which Chandra is most abusive with the first ability?
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post
    I wish Chandra's Regulator regulated the number of Chandra cards WotC is allowed to make.

Mar 2007

Regulator seems pretty good for red card filtering. Combines well with Squee, or more Legacy-relevant, Punishing Fire.

Cavalier seems to be too expensive to be any good for Legacy.

I hate the current art direction of MtG so goddamn much.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Urborg shenanigans intensify

Urborg + fetchlands are going to a fantastic combo for this. Throw in a CoW and this thing is going to be a bitch if not answered immediately.
    Looks super fun with scapeshift. :-D
    -rob

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    Looks super fun with scapeshift. :-D
    And it's standard legal for 3 months if i remember well :)
    That's the first thing i thought about.
    To be noted that all cards mentionned (Urborg / fetchlands / scapeshift are modern legal. I could see a modern aggro deck with a somehow combo finisher like dreadhorde + scapeshift (Although scapeshift is still bad alone in this case, we need to find something for it).

Mar 2007

That's another spirit lord - kinda.

Seems pretty good. Better than Gideon, though? Probably not, but who knows how strong the third ability actually is.

The new Vamp tutor... holy fuck. That's busted as hell. Like, here's the deal. Random deck tutoring for the best card in their deck doesn't mean shit when you just tutored for "win the game". At least fucking Top is banned.

I like that they were willing to try another shot at "fair" tutors, but this is a mistake, because the drawback isn't actually something a combo deck should care about. It's like Pact of Negation as a "fixed" force of will, it's actually only useful to decks that don't plan to still be playing next turn.

I'll put good money on Scheming getting banned in Legacy.

Also, I really love the new Soul Sisters angel's art. And hate the Naya Angel's art. If I were WotC I would not have paid money for that crap.

EDIT: for those thinking of overwrought ways to "draw a card" - I'll just remind you that A) we just got a new cycle of lands with those words printed on them, and B) there are easily a dozen cheap artifacts with those three words printed on them - like the various eggs or spheres that also work just fine.

EDIT2: I really hope they do get a cheap tutor that doesn't enable combo right someday, I'd love to be able to play a silver-bullet "the Rock" type of deck again.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    The new Vamp tutor... holy fuck. That's busted as hell. Like, here's the deal. Random deck tutoring for the best card in their deck doesn't mean shit when you just tutored for "win the game". At least fucking Top is banned.

I like that they were willing to try another shot at "fair" tutors, but this is a mistake, because the drawback isn't actually something a combo deck should care about. It's like Pact of Negation as a "fixed" force of will, it's actually only useful to decks that don't plan to still be playing next turn.

Also, I really love the new Soul Sisters angel's art. And hate the Naya Angel's art. If I were WotC I would not have paid money for that crap.

EDIT: for those thinking of overwrought ways to "draw a card" - I'll just remind you that A) we just got a new cycle of lands with those words printed on them, and B) there are easily a dozen cheap artifacts with those three words printed on them - like the various eggs or spheres that also work just fine.

EDIT2: I really hope they do get a cheap tutor that doesn't enable combo right someday, I'd love to be able to play a silver-bullet "the Rock" type of deck again.
    Just another reason to MB leyline.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Ban talk, already? You're in the wrong thread my friend...

I really like Dread Presence, it's definitely got value-based potential in a deck that makes a lot of land drops like Nic Fit. I would argue that Tireless Tracker is obviously superior, but this card isn't bad. The reach seems relevant.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Thread Information