Thread: Polymorph Stompy - The natural evolution of Faerie Stompy

Polymorph Stompy - The natural evolution of Faerie Stompy

Faerie Stompy's strength comes from the fact that it's one of the few decks that can pair Chalice of the Void and Trinisphere with Force of Will and the newly unveiled Force of Negation. Unfortunately, it's weakness is it's lackluster threat base that takes too long to close out the game despite devoting 22+ slots to threats/creatures.

Three new cards from War of the Spark (Callous Dismissal, Saheeli and Lazotep Plating) go a long way in fixing this problem by enabling the deck to utilize Polymorph as it's win condition. Callous Dismissal is an absolutely amazing card in the multiple roles it serves and gives the deck a massive boost. Saheeli both makes 1/1s to feed Proteus Staff and it also gives Emrakul haste because it can turn a 1/1 that doesn't have summoning sickness into a copy of Emrakul.

10 Island
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Khalni Garden
    3 Mox Diamond
    1 Mishra's Factory
    1 Faerie Conclave

4 Polymorph
    4 Proteus Staff
    2 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    2 Intuition

4 Callous Dismissal
    2 Lazotep Plating
    1 Saheeli, Sublime Artificer
    1 Abstruse Interference
    1 Lightning Greaves

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Force of Will
    2 Misdirection
    1 Force of Negation
    1 Trinisphere

Blightsteel Collossus and Sorcerous Spyglass come in from the sideboard against DnT and other Karakas decks. Trinisphere and additional Force of Negations come in from the board versus combo decks and Leyline comes in against graveyard decks.

Re: Polymorph Stompy - The natural evolution of Faerie Stompy

I'd much prefer UB for bitterblossom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

I decided to add a single Jace, the Mind Sculptor to the maindeck. In the event that the game goes very long and you have the misfortune of ending up with both Emrakul in your hand (unlikely but possible if you both spend your early and midgame disrupting each other), Proteus Staff lets you stack your entire deck however you wish. You could then stack your deck to place a Jace (and a FoW to protect it) at the top of your library and use Jace to put your Emrakuls back into your library so that you can Proteus Staff them out.

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    I'd much prefer UB for bitterblossom.
    Bitterblossom doesn't give your Emrakul haste. Saheeli does. It gives Emrakul haste because it can turn a 1/1 that doesn't have summoning sickness into a copy of Emrakul.

Bitterblossom doesn't bounce one of your opponents permanents thereby gaining you tempo and a way to deal with cards like Ensnaring Bridge. Callous Dismissal does.

Bitterblossom doesn't let you daze/counter a spell while still making creatures for the combo kill. Abstruse Interface does.

Bitterblossom also requires a black splash, which means your manabase would no longer be able to support the Ancient Tomb, City of Traitors package slowing the clock down by atleast 1 full turn and making turn 1 chalice much less likely.

This deck is basically Faeirie Stompy but with fewer slots devoted to the threat package and more slots devoted to disruption, and a much much faster clock. Weakening the Ancient Tomb/City of Traitors package that makes Stompy disruption so explosive is a step in the wrong direction. The desire to consistently combo out turn 2-3 with FoW/Misdirection backup and thus be as fast as possible in the reason why I opt to play Garden instead of more Mishra's Factories, Mutavaults of Blinkmoth Nexus.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    I decided to add a single Jace, the Mind Sculptor to the maindeck. In the event that the game goes very long and you have the misfortune of ending up with both Emrakul in your hand (unlikely but possible if you both spend your early and midgame disrupting each other), Proteus Staff lets you stack your entire deck however you wish. You could then stack your deck to place a Jace (and a FoW to protect it) at the top of your library and use Jace to put your Emrakuls back into your library so that you can Proteus Staff them out.

Bitterblossom doesn't give your Emrakul haste. Saheeli does. It gives Emrakul haste because it can turn a 1/1 that doesn't have summoning sickness into a copy of Emrakul.

Bitterblossom doesn't bounce one of your opponents permanents thereby gaining you tempo and a way to deal with cards like Ensnaring Bridge. Callous Dismissal does.

Bitterblossom doesn't let you daze/counter a spell while still making creatures for the combo kill. Abstruse Interface does.

Bitterblossom also requires a black splash, which means your manabase would no longer be able to support the Ancient Tomb, City of Traitors package slowing the clock down by atleast 1 full turn and making turn 1 chalice much less likely.

This deck is basically Faeirie Stompy but with fewer slots devoted to the threat package and more slots devoted to disruption, and a much much faster clock. Weakening the Ancient Tomb/City of Traitors package that makes Stompy disruption so explosive is a step in the wrong direction. The desire to consistently combo out turn 2-3 with FoW/Misdirection backup and thus be as fast as possible in the reason why I opt to play Garden instead of more Mishra's Factories, Mutavaults of Blinkmoth Nexus.
    Sorry, you're right. I do hope you prize something with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Aug 2010
    Belgium

Very nice decklist. I am currently brewing on something similar. 😉

My first remark, have you considered impulse?Instantspeed searching seems to me very good.

I never heard of the counter-card. Very nice find! Im going to test it out. I like the fact that even if the opponent pays 1, you still get the token.

I would cut force of negation. It offers no free protection when you combo of. You have already 6 protection spells (4 FOW and 2 misdirection).

Im not sure if jace is the way to go: we have no creatures, no way to protect it. If you are afraid of being stuck with 2 emrakuls in your hand, there are other and faster solutions in blue available to get rid of them.

On your manabase: i like also khalni garden. 🙂
    I don't like the mishra's factory and the faerie conclave. I'll switch them with Wasteland. They are to slow and i think you have enough token-generators. Especially if you include impulse.

Don't forget back to basics in your sideboard.

Last edited by Captain Hammer; 06-19-2019 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by frogger42 View Post
    Karn fetches out Proteus Staff, too.
    Yes it does. Would work well in a more controllish shell. The build I posted is more aggro, akin to Faerie Stompy and Karn is a bit slower than what I was going for.

I suppose moving a Proteus Staff and a Chalice to the sideboard and replacing 2 Intuition with KGC is worth trying. KGC could also grab Ornithopter/Phyrexian Revoker/Phyrexian Metamorph from the sideboard when you need a creature.

Probably worth testing this build. I'll need to get some KGC & Lattice first before I get a chance to try this version out...

11 Island
    4 Khalni Garden
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    3 Mox Diamond

4 Force of Will
    3 Misdirection
    3 Chalice of the Void

4 Karn, the Great Creator
    4 Polymorph
    3 Proteus Staff
    2 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

4 Callous Dismissal
    2 Intuition
    2 Abstruse Interference
    1 Lazotep Plating
    1 Saheeli, Sublime Artificer
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Sideboard:
    1 Chalice of the Void
    1 Trinisphere
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 Proteus Staff
    1 Ornithopter
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Swiftfoot Boots
    Other silver bullets (Tormod's Crypt, Relic of Progenitus, Phyrexian Metamorph etc)

And? Any testruns with this deck?

Thread Information