Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should we embrace the use of MPC proxies in order to prevent legacy’s death?

Re: Should we embrace the use of MPC proxies in order to prevent legacy’s death?

Honestly one of the biggest things hurting Legacy now is that the format has evolved to the point where the viable, Tier 1 decks are:

1. Xerox variations (whole bunch of tempo decks, plus one control deck in miracles)
    2. Prison variations
    3. Combo variations

Legacy simply isn't that wide open anymore, and while any given tier 2 deck can, and does, take down a tournament occasionally, you're pretty much limited to one of the big three for your deck choices if you want a tier one experience. A lot of players simply don't want to play in a format where that is the tier one mix. Prices definitely contribute to the declining player base, but the changes to the format overall have more to do with it imho. Legacy really is Vintage-lite at this point, and as MTGO has shown, even if the cards are cheap, there's just not that much of an audience for the experience Vintage offers. Legacy is headed in the same direction.

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

Re: Should we embrace the use of MPC proxies in order to prevent legacy’s death?

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Honestly one of the biggest things hurting Legacy now is that the format has evolved to the point where the viable, Tier 1 decks are:

1. Xerox variations (whole bunch of tempo decks, plus one control deck in miracles)
    2. Prison variations
    3. Combo variations

Legacy simply isn't that wide open anymore, and while any given tier 2 deck can, and does, take down a tournament occasionally, you're pretty much limited to one of the big three for your deck choices if you want a tier one experience. A lot of players simply don't want to play in a format where that is the tier one mix. Prices definitely contribute to the declining player base, but the changes to the format overall have more to do with it imho. Legacy really is Vintage-lite at this point, and as MTGO has shown, even if the cards are cheap, there's just not that much of an audience for the experience Vintage offers. Legacy is headed in the same direction.
    Agreed. I am really debating selling all my legacy reserve list cards and invest the money to another hobby. Leaving just a couple of cards to have a deck to play once every couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by Bithlord View Post
    In pipe dream land, WotC would run a Legacy premiere series where players submit decklists ahead of time and get a newly printed copy of their deck with a different (but similar) card back. The deck is not legal for anything other than the one tournament. Then, the player gets to keep the printed deck.

Suddenly, I can play a $5,000 deck in a tournament for, maybe, $100 or $150 and get to keep the deck in proxy form.

I'd be down with that. Certainly would beat playing Burn and/or manaless dredge which are my current decks, due purely to price.
    As cool as all this is, it's never going to happen. WOTC will never print proxies for us.

But there is zero reason why legacy communities can't allow proxies for their local tournaments. Proxies are dead simple and dirt cheap to print from MPC (no copyrighted images are allowed)... https://www.makeplayingcards.com/des...lank-card.html and there are tons of templates for them available in the reddit I linked to in the OP.

In pipe dream land, WotC would run a Legacy premiere series where players submit decklists ahead of time and get a newly printed copy of their deck with a different (but similar) card back. The deck is not legal for anything other than the one tournament. Then, the player gets to keep the printed deck.

Suddenly, I can play a $5,000 deck in a tournament for, maybe, $100 or $150 and get to keep the deck in proxy form.

I'd be down with that. Certainly would beat playing Burn and/or manaless dredge which are my current decks, due purely to price.
    Why would they do this when they could, for the same cost, just print the cards in the deck itself?

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Just free everyone, general amnesty. I'd be excited for more nourishing lich.
    For the record, I unbanned TheInfamousBearAssassin earlier this year, but I never told him. Fuck Nedleeds though. At least IBA's trolling was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    For the record, I unbanned TheInfamousBearAssassin earlier this year, but I never told him. Fuck Nedleeds though. At least IBA's trolling was funny.
    OMG!! I would love to see Bear posting here again.

Jun 2019
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    As cool as all this is, it's never going to happen. WOTC will never print proxies for us.

But there is zero reason why legacy communities can't allow proxies for their local tournaments. Proxies are dead simple and dirt cheap to print from MPC (no copyrighted images are allowed)... https://www.makeplayingcards.com/des...lank-card.html and there are tons of templates for them available in the reddit I linked to in the OP.
    Can't have your event sanctioned, which means it doesn't count towards a stores WPN score thingy. At least that's what I was told when I asked about proxies at the 4 lgs near me. So I just bit the bullet and bought a budget deck. Can't playtest proxy decks until you know people who play legacy.

(The stores could just look the other way, but I imagine there are some ramifications to doing that)

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

#freenedleeds
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemon View Post
    Can't have your event sanctioned, which means it doesn't count towards a stores WPN score thingy. At least that's what I was told when I asked about proxies at the 4 lgs near me. So I just bit the bullet and bought a budget deck. Can't playtest proxy decks until you know people who play legacy.

(The stores could just look the other way, but I imagine there are some ramifications to doing that)
    Correct, but like who's going to call you out on a high quality proxy? Or even a color printer on card-stock?

Jun 2019
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Correct, but like who's going to call you out on a high quality proxy? Or even a color printer on card-stock?

Probably no one. But I drive over an hour to play each week, and am not really interested in testing that. All it takes is one guy.

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    #freenedleeds
    #FreeNedleeds2019

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...n-FreeNedLeeds
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    OMG!! I would love to see Bear posting here again.
    I'm interested if he plays Modern and tries to make a new take on that eskimo deck of his. Actually playable snow cards means he would have a lot more things to work with.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Nedleeds once spotted a fake Chinese dual that was double sleeved from across the table immediately and called a judge against his opponent and got him a game loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Nedleeds once spotted a fake Chinese dual that was double sleeved from across the table immediately and called a judge against his opponent and got him a game loss.
    I've done the same. If I see WB duals across the table, I assume one's struggling to get it together and might have accidentally or on purpose have fakes.
    If I see BB duals across the table, I assume they ball and no harm no foul.

Why would they do this when they could, for the same cost, just print the cards in the deck itself?
    Beats me, other than some misguided adherance ot the reserve list. Maybe they can justify printing promo one time only event cards as not breaking the list.

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Maybe they can justify printing promo one time only event cards as not breaking the list.
    my suggestion that i posted earlier would be even easier.

just have the normal magic back and leave the front empty for black text.
    tournament organizers can "print" with a black and white printer just text; Underground Sea: Tap for B or U

they could even put the date of the event with a disclaimer it's only good for the duration of the tourney.

EDIT: quoting someone under me?
    Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I couldn't care any less, I just want to play Legacy.
    i tell people to get a sharpie and whatever fodder was left on the floor from the last pre-release or set release.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I have a hunch that some people in our little local group have some, but I couldn't care any less, I just want to play Legacy.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

We allow proxies for Friday nights and casual play and it helped tremendously to build a local community and to have people try new things. The latter is extremely important for small groups, as it gets boring and stale otherwise. I play with my Tabernacle and just bought a Drop of Honey, but damn, we need new players to account for the ones leaving the format/game.

Our open series is non-proxy only though, to sanction these events and motivate people to invest in Legacy.

Sure he did. Keep this template for Chuck Norris.

Lots of modern players are very unhappy with the format right now and looking to other eternal formats (Legacy and Pauper) for their magic fix.

We should welcome them in by letting them use proxies for FNM play so that they can make the transition without having to sell their car/house. Have you guys seen how much duals are going for these days?

We should also let them use shock lands as substitute proxies for their respective dual equivalents.

There's always Pauper for people who dislike proxies.

Thread Information