Thread: Is Scepter-chant back?

Hybrid View

Feb 2007
    San Diego

Is Scepter-Chant Back?

So, minor history. Scepter-chant was a deck from WAAAAAY in the past, before pithing needle, before revoker, before counterbalance, before krosan grip, and yes, before abrupt decay.

Since the printing of Teferi, Time Raveler shoring up the lock and providing bounce for hate cards, I decided to give this deck another look.

Here's the test list:

The Combo//11
    4 isochron scepter
    4 orim's chant
    3 Teferi, time raveler

Countermagic//11

4 force of will
    4 spell pierce
    3 counterspell

Advantage//13

4 brainstorm
    4 ponder
    3 narset, parter of veils
    2 snapcaster mage

Removal//5

4 lightning bolt
    1 council's judgement

lands//20

4 flooded strand
    2 scalding tarn
    1 arid mesa
    4 islands
    2 plains
    3 tundra
    4 volcanic island

sideboard//

4 red elemental blast
    3 meddling mage
    2 supreme verdict
    2 swords to plowshares
    1 council's judgement
    2 pithing needle
    1 surgical extraction

There's a number of directions in which to take the deck.

We can go black for discard to pair with teferi on people's draw steps, we can stay UW for consistency and further locks via back to basics in the board, or we can go the tried and true method of adding red for blasts/burn.
    Last edited by thefreakaccident; 07-04-2019 at 04:58 PM.

Re: Is Scepter-chant back?

Do you want Red for Lightning Helix or Green for Weather the Storm and Moment's Peace?

A couple copies of Snap-Caster probably wouldn't be amiss either because he buys extra chant turns (or anything else)

Right now Jace is your only wincon, I think you want more options than that.

Sep 2011

Snapcaster Mage seems better than AK here.

4 Teferi seems like overkill, even if it's good with the lock. 3 should be enough.

What about some Myth Realized or Monastery Mentor or True-Name Nemesis as another win condition? If your only win is Jace, your games will get very long/tedious and boring.

This just makes me want to go all-in on panoptic mirror teferi's protection

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    What about some Myth Realized or Monastery Mentor or True-Name Nemesis as another win condition? If your only win is Jace, your games will get very long/tedious and boring.
    +1. Also the mighty quinn runs scepter chant, http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...y-Quinn/page72.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

there's also the option to run a singleton teferi (the 2UUU guy). end step play him, and main phase play scepter.
    -rob

Thread Information