Thread: VineTraders

Hybrid View

Feb 2017
    Sweden

VineTraders

What is VineTraders?

The deck is based around the amalgam of Bazaar of Bagdad and Serendib Efreet. That amalgam being Bazaar Trademage. So how do we build around the Bazaar of Bagdad effect? Easy. We jam Vengevine, Hollow one and Basking Rootwalla into a tempo-esque shell.

Only having an explosive creature synergy in the deck didn’t feel enough for the deck so adding red to a blue green shell seemed interesting. So what good cards do we get if we splash red? Legacy’s newest superstar, Wrenn and Six. With Wrenn and Six lands like Wasteland, Cephalid Coliseum and Barbarian Ring became more appealing for the deck, alongside with crop rotation. Besides adding another axis of attack to the deck Wrenn and Six does an excellent job with getting more cards into your hand, which is a good thing since Bazaar Trademage is expensive cardwise.

So how does the 75 look like? The person who I brewed this deck with (called Pankhurst here at mtgthesource) and I decided on the following 75:

Main deck:
    4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Basking Rootwalla
    4 Bazaar Trademage
    4 Vengevine
    4 Hollow One
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    1 Crop Rotation
    4 Daze
    3 Wrenn and Six
    4 Force of Will
    1 Cephalid Coliseum
    1 Forest
    1 Island
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Tropical Island
    2 Volcanic Island
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard:
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Pyroblast
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Winter Orb
    2 Ancient Grudge
    1 Barbarian Ring
    1 Cindervines
    1 Izzet Staticaster
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Magmatic Sinkhole

We are currently testing this list but so far it has been a lot of fun and it presents interesting boardstates and lines of play.
    Other cards that the deck is currently considering for sideboard/main:
    Narset, Parter of Veils
    Dack Fayden
    Hooting Mandrills
    True-Name Nemesis/Vendilion Clique

We just wanted to share what we’re working on and we hope that more people feel the urge to jam some Vengevines and Hollow Ones after reading this. Also feel free to give feedback if you think that something could improve the deck. We want as many as possible to become a VineTrader!
    Last edited by Jander78; 07-05-2019 at 12:21 PM. Reason: added tags

Feb 2007
    San Diego

Re: VineTraders

have you considered magus of the bazaar?

You could also consider the fauna shaman/mana dork plan.

Feb 2017
    Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by thefreakaccident View Post
    have you considered magus of the bazaar?
    Yes and so far it doesn't seem good enough! Besides being a 3/4 creature with flying, Bazaar Trademage is also the first creature spell that you cast that turn which makes it much easier to trigger the Vengevines from the graveyard. (Because Hollow One will cost 0 to cast after the ability and discarded Basking Rootwallas will be cast using madness, also triggering Vengevines).
    It's an interesting thought for sure. I could see a version trying that or Dack Fayden.

Feb 2007
    San Diego

The trader is really good actually. How quickly does this deck usually kill?

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Red splash for just Wrenn and Six and some sideboard stuff seems like a wasted splash. Faithless Looting would slot into this deck very very well. If you're committed to the xerox plan, you could play Careful Study as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Personally I tested Bazaar Trademage in a UG Madness shell, pretty similar with your list, and I always felt it was underwhelming. Cards like Wild Mongrel or Noose Constrictor always felt superior.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Intuition is also very good in this kind of deck.
    -rob

Feb 2017
    Sweden

At moment we’re playing ponder over looting and study. I believe it to be better in the deck, even if those spells and the UG Madness creature package works wonders sometimes with Vengevines etc. Ponder is generally better post-board, it’s not card negative, which is a real factor when your gameplan is playing a card that on resolution leaves you with less cards in hand, and finally it is better (in my opinion) against discard decks.

Fauna Shaman/Wild Mongrel/Wild Constrictor is on the radar as well. Most games that I’ve played with the deck I’ve disrupted my opponent enough to then finally land my 3 mana Trademage and end up with 11+ power in play and this is something that discard outlets can do as well but digging the extra 2 cards and having a 3/4 flying creature had been superior so far!

How would these lists with these cards look like if you built them? Would be interesting to see and also see if there are certain parts of the deck that would be upgrades to this one!

Thread Information