Thread: Dark Depth-Hogaak

Hybrid View

Dark Depth-Hogaak

This deck is based on the dark depth combo and the 8/8 trample Hogaak delve inclusion.

Here is Dnsolver list, which is somehow the "reference" and based on my first iteration of the deck but with an improved mabase :

3 Elvish Reclaimer
    4 Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis
    4 Satyr Wayfinder
    2 Stitcher's Supplier
    1 Sylvan Safekeeper
    4 Vampire Hexmage
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Thoughtseize
    4 Crop Rotation
    4 Lotus Petal
    2 Bayou
    1 Bojuka Bog
    4 Dark Depths
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Forest
    1 Karakas
    1 Khalni Garden
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    1 Swamp
    4 Thespian's Stage
    3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Wasteland

1 Thoughtseize
    3 Abrupt Decay
    3 Force of Vigor
    3 Pithing Needle
    1 Reclamation Sage
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Sylvan Library

He changed a bit from first list with the adoption of lotus petal instead of mox diamond and the gsz package karakas main for mirror

// 61 Maindeck
    // 3 Artifact
    3 Mox Diamond

// 20 Creature
    4 Elvish Reclaimer
    3 Satyr Wayfinder
    4 Stitcher's Supplier
    4 Vampire Hexmage
    1 Dryad Arbor

// 4 Instant
    4 Crop Rotation

// 26 Land
    2 Bayou
    1 Bojuka Bog
    4 Dark Depths
    1 Forest
    3 Khalni Garden
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    1 Swamp
    4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Wasteland

// 8 Sorcery
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Thoughtseize

// 15 Sideboard
    // 3 Creature
    SB: 3 Sylvan Safekeeper

// 11 Instant
    SB: 3 Abrupt Decay
    SB: 2 Assassin's Trophy
    SB: 3 Mindbreak Trap
    SB: 3 Surgical Extraction

// 1 Land
    SB: 1 Karakas

It does need the mox diamond ! entomb was not good enough.

testing darkblast cause there are a lot of strix

// 60 Maindeck
    // 6 Artifact
    3 Pithing Needle
    3 Mox Diamond

// 16 Creature
    4 Vampire Hexmage
    4 Stitcher's Supplier
    4 Satyr Wayfinder

// 7 Instant
    4 Crop Rotation
    3 Darkblast

// 27 Land
    4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Dark Depths
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Blooming Marsh
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Snow-Covered Forest
    4 Mana Confluence
    3 Khalni Garden

// 4 Sorcery
    4 Cabal Therapy

// 15 Sideboard
    // 2 Enchantment
    SB: 2 Leyline of the Void

// 13 Instant
    SB: 2 Return to Nature
    SB: 3 Force of Vigor
    SB: 4 Flusterstorm
    SB: 2 Veil of Summer
    SB: 2 Extirpate

Last edited by adrieng; 11-22-2019 at 07:31 AM.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: DarkDepth-Hogaak

can you post some vids? sounds like a fun idea, but i'm a little skeptical.
    -rob

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Some questions that have been rolling around in my head since you posted it in the Turbo thread:

1) Aren't Delver matchups favorable already? It makes sense to perform well against those decks even with a traditional Depths list.
    2) Is the susceptibility to Wasteland and graveyard hate worth splashing in 12 slots of graveyard synergy? Reanimator Depths is already a deck with a more resilient mana-base and a more powerful graveyard plan.
    3) How does this version shore up traditional weaknesses of Depths? Does it improve the Miracles/D&T/Moon Stompy matchups?
    4) Is it targeted towards a specific metagame? Dredge goes in/out of favor depending on the expected metagame, as does Reanimator. I could see a specific metagame where having a surprise graveyard strategy to fall back on would be strong if the Depths plan runs into a bad matchup.

I think the hybrid factor is very cool, I've done it myself with Tarmogoyfs in the sideboard before. Some folks have tried Gurmag Anglers. I think you're going for a similar, but more powerful alternative graveyard plan. It gives up some percentage points due to the lack of maindeck Pithing Needles, but that seems reasonable if Wasteland isn't as prevalent (and you are now playing some Loams in the list.)
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

People alwasy claim to have a good delver matchup while in reality with wrenn, a well timed bounce or wasteland, delver can do the classic stuff.

This list destroys delver, i played it in league at least 8 match and i lost maybe one game or two out of the 2/3 *8 match, including the new list of delver
    with wrenn and dreadhorde arcanist.

While temur doesn't go for 2 crop and one karakas in side they don't really stand a chance.

This deck is less suceptible to graveyard hate than classic list cause it has multiple game plans, you need to pass 2-3 surgicals to win.

Surgical is not bad in the matchup, but it is clearly not a card that the deck fear too much.

You have multiple cabal, to fight through surgical, that you can find pretty easily, you have the depth plan and the hogaak plan, you have sideboarded faerie that protec you from opponents surgical ans snappy

in an uncounterble manner, what do you want more ?

Reanimator depth is hot garbagge, it does nor the depth plan well, nor the reanimator plan well, this does both the stuff in a better manner, cause all your cards create value.

You are talking about tarmogoyf in depth which is not at all what this deck does, just test the deck man then we can talk open your cockatrice stuff if you don't have an mtgo account and play the deck against opponent when

you'll have played 10-20 games against good deck, you'll see the power of the deck and then you can come back and talk about it. There is no point to argue with someone which didn't test things, and just critics without practicing.

Magic is not just theory game, you need concret stuff to see where you go and if things works properly.
    Last edited by adrieng; 07-11-2019 at 01:28 PM.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by adrieng View Post
    Man this deck is broken, old depth was just ok, this is tier one.

People alwasy claim to have a good delver matchup while in reality with wrenn, a well timed bounce or wasteland, delver can do the classic stuff.

This list destroys delver, i played it in league at least 8 match and i lost maybe one game or two out of the 2/3 *8 match, including the new list of delver
    with wrenn and dreadhorde arcanist.

While temur doesn't go for 2 crop and one karakas in side they don't really stand a chance.

This deck is less suceptible to graveyard hate than classic list cause it has multiple game plans, you need to pass 2-3 surgicals to win.

Surgical is not bad in the matchup, but it is clearly not a card that the deck fear too much.

You have multiple cabal, to fight through surgical, that you can find pretty easily, you have the depth plan and the hogaak plan, you have sideboarded faerie that protec you from opponents surgical ans snappy

in an uncounterble manner, what do you want more ?

Reanimator depth is hot garbagge, it does nor the depth plan well, nor the reanimator plan well, this does both the stuff in a better manner, cause all your cards create value.

You are talking about tarmogoyf in depth which is not at all what this deck does, just test the deck man then we can talk open your cockatrice stuff if you don't have an mtgo account and play the deck against opponent when

you'll have played 10-20 games against good deck, you'll see the power of the deck and then you can come back and talk about it. There is no point to argue with someone which didn't test things, and just critics without practicing.

Magic is not just theory game, you need concret stuff to see where you go and if things works properly.
    I have used Magic Workstation in the past, I haven't had any luck making Cockatrice work. I can proxy up a list and pit it against a gauntlet, it's what I've done in the past with other tests.

Sorry I have seemed so difficult; I genuinely want to know the answers to those questions. I'll just have to test it myself, as you suggest.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Even in some very limited testing vs. a bot, multiple Karakas are a huge hassle.

But this deck works better than it seemingly looks on paper. I did swap a Loam and a Peatland for two Mox Diamonds and, while this likely isn't "correct," they do make for even more explosive openings.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Thread Information