Thread: [SCD] Thought Distortion

[SCD] Thought Distortion

Thought Distortion
    4BB
    Sorcery
    This spell can't be countered.
    Target opponent reveals their hand.
    Exile all non-creature, non-land spells from their hand and graveyard.

This spell can't be countered.

That's a pretty brutal line right there. Against a lot of the format this will win the game on the spot. But against a lot of the format it's a do nothing, so it's clearly only viable as a sideboard card. Is a six mana sideboard card worth building around? Is there anything this goes into already existing? I mean, if you were on say, UW Miracles and wanted a sure-fire way to win the mirror, just splash black and here you go. Or if you're in a big mana deck that has black in it and need to beat something like Miracles, well, boom goes the dynamite.

I don't know if this is actually Legacy playable, if it is, I'm pretty sure it is, but as a fringe sideboard card, but man does this thing resolving just wreck people.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: [SCD] Thought Distortion

It is 6 mana and it doesn't impact the board. What kind of deck has the ability to ignore the board and not do something better?
    -rob

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

This card MIGHT be playable if it said something like exile all non-land cards from target players hand. Search that players library and graveyard for all copies of those cards and remove them from the game.

In it's current form it's garbage. It doesnt hit creatures. By the time you can cast this their hand should be empty unless you are playing against control. Even against control I expect them to recover decently as they probably have 3 cards max in their hand by then...
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    It is 6 mana and it doesn't impact the board. What kind of deck has the ability to ignore the board and not do something better?
    i play a jund-ish Lands deck and against miracles, it's just a grindy slugfest to see who can land something that wins.
    one game, i made marit lage about 6 times but still lost to a horde of mentor tokens.
    if i knew i had thought distortion in my deck, i'd just play differently; reminds me of slaughter games.

Quote Originally Posted by non-inflammable View Post
    i play a jund-ish Lands deck and against miracles, it's just a grindy slugfest to see who can land something that wins.
    one game, i made marit lage about 6 times but still lost to a horde of mentor tokens.
    if i knew i had thought distortion in my deck, i'd just play differently; reminds me of slaughter games.
    Yeah, this is what I'm talking about. It's mostly a way to end the game vs. combo or control if you can drag it out long but have trouble putting things away. A sideboard card in lands is probably the perfect place for it.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Slaughter Games is significantly better and sees close to zero play. But Slaughter Games is at least a threat against decks with few win conditions, whereas Thought Distortion isn't a threat; it's an answer. As a general rule, midgame or late-game discard spells aren't good, and turboing this out on Turn 2 would use up a bunch of resources, so I don't see this being playable. Maybe it's OK in EDH?

The best I can come up with is Turn 1 Ancient Tomb into Jet Medallion, then Turn 2 Swamp, Cabal Ritual, Thought Distortion. Feels like it's approaching Magical Christmas Land. That same opening would enable Bolas's Citadel, but they likely wouldn't fit in the same deck. Flipping up Thought Distortion would be rough. Maybe some kind of black stompy shell could play the card, although Hymn would simply be better.

Uncounterable effects are certainly powerful in the abstract, but unless you find a way to cheat the mana cost, that's going to be the hurdle.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

At six mana. Sorcery.

Think of the spells that cost 4 and are sorcery speed. I'm not talking about the stuff in Eldrazi. We are talking decks with real manabases capable of hard casting spells.

Go on. I can wait...

Yeah.

That's four mana. You have occasional sideboard stuff that are meant to be a coup d'etat. I can't think of a hard cast 5-mana spell in Legacy. Thought Distortion costs six and nowhere in the text does is have the words "you win the game".
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

I’d mostly agree with the ‘it’s a 6 mana card that doesn’t win the game’ sentiments.

The way how id look at it is; does it drag you back in the game if you’re behind (we’re playing a 6-mana spell that doesn’t affect the board post-board)? I guess it’s a pretty strong no, unless you’re against high tide.

So unless your deck is only weak against high tide, I think it’s pretty unplayable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

Thread Information