Thread: [SCD] Veil of Summer

bruizar

[SCD] Veil of Summer

I'm surprised there is so little talk about Veil of Summer yet. It seems great against blue and black, but also for blue and black decks to win counter wars. It is an incredibly efficient reactive counter that hoses, among other things, Storm decks. It also synergizes well with Painter's Servant, should the deck want to go RG.

Re: [SCD] Veil of Summer

I think is a "must" card un every green deck. VS discard deck like grixis, etc is an all-star

4 of even in Standard. It hoses Dimir Grixis and Esper so well..

bruizar

I predict its impact will be a little bit similar to Mental Misstep in the sense that that decks will universally find the slots needed to play Veil of Summer. Particularly to to beat interaction: proactive discard or reactive counters, but also to bolster the decks playing proactive discard or reactive counters, because it is the most interaction hoser ever printed.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

It's definitely a sick fucking card. I'm trying to think of other reasons to play green in painter though. Only think I can think of immediately is like grudge flashback for Liquimetal coating versions
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    It's definitely a sick fucking card. I'm trying to think of other reasons to play green in painter though. Only think I can think of immediately is like grudge flashback for Liquimetal coating versions
    At this point, Wrenn and Six, and Punishing Fire/Grove of the Burnwillows are the 2 biggest reasons to run RG (unless you're playing lands for gamble, exploration, crop rotation, loam). Style points for welding out artifact land and bouncing it to your hand and Welding it out again. Also, sideboard options like Force of Vigor and Choke are powerful.

There's 2 effects that have seen tournament play that we can draw from. One is Dive Down, a significantly weaker effect, was instrumental for Autumn Berchett winning world's, the other is Vines of Vastwood which is an infect staple.

Veil of Summer hoses Flusterstorm, Thoughtseize, Inquisition of Kozilek, Hymn to Tourach, Cabal Therapy, Liliana -2, Tendrils of Agony, Fatal Push, Jace TMS -1, Teferi -3, Force of Will, and all other counters.

The best reason to play green in Painter is for the Natural Order + Iona combo.

Though it is unfortunate that naming green doesn't quite synergize with Veil of Summer...

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

Way back in the day I was working on a Legacy Painter Food Chain Two Card Monte list that started with Chrome Mox/Painter's Servant and added 67 cards because I thought the interaction between those two cards was funny. Despite the "new" printings (Ballista, Squee, affordable Recruiter) I still don't think the deck's quite there, but I do think it's exactly the type of deck that'd want Veil of Summer.

Edit: On a more serious note this card seems insanely good. I'm testing 2x in Infect as soon as they arrive in the mail, and I have to imagine this card's going to make its way into most/all green legacy sideboards.

Yeah well if Painter’s Servant says Blue you can abuse of Summer Veil as a super defense card

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

I built a RG Painter Food Chain list a couple of months ago but after some goldfishing it felt clunky. Having Sylvan is nice, and recruiter gets combo pieces for both food chain combo and painter. Now there's Karn to support both combos too, maybe time to reevaluate. I was using Ash Barrens to support TKS and find basics under blood sun, it was hsrd to fit everything though. I think the blood sun approach can be reevaluated too, with 4c W6 builds perhaps being popular.

Anyway, I think the lack of discussion is for two reasons, one is that many are waiting for them to physically arrive to test them, we don't all play online, and the other is that the use of the card is pretty straightforward, you can use it to counter removal, discard and counterspells. That being said I'll definitely read all comments here.

If you set servant to black, Reap has potential.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    If you set servant to black, Reap has potential.
    And Mausoleum Secrets?

There was a Premodern deck floating around with Reap, I think it killed with Brainfreeze. I guess one could recur Petals and Opals for as much mana as you need, but you'd still need to find the combo.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

I like lifeforce and compost with painter on black. But that's another discussion..

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    Yeah well if Painter’s Servant says Blue you can abuse of Summer Veil as a super defense card
    This is how I was thinking.. You already slot REBs and Pyros which only work against blue, and this works also against black on default, it cantrips and helps save part of your combo from common spot removal while also helping you resolve spells. Once you got servant out, it becomes nutty. I just realized that in XMAS land you can use Wrenn & Six's ultimate to Retrace Veil of Summer to protect Wren and the rest. Then again, retrace on Pyro and just nuking all their permanents also works :D

I think it will also end up in storm decks because they can cut down on all permission and discard. Just resolve this and go off. They already sideboard xantid swarm and this looks better because it isn't a dead draw mid combo but actually digs into more gas and ramps the storm count.

bruizar

I'd start with something like this...

Summer Painter

2x Faithless Looting
    3x Goblin Welder
    4x Painter’s Servant
    3x Grindstone
    4x Karn, the Great Creator
    4x Pyroblast
    4x Veil of Summer
    3x Punishing Fire
    4x Wrenn and Six
    4x Mox Diamond
    1x Lion’s Eye Diamond
    4x Wasteland
    3x Ancient Tomb
    4x Grove of the Burnwillows
    4x Taiga
    3x Stomping Ground
    4x Wooded Foothills
    1x Forest
    2x Great Furnace

Sideboard:
    1x Ancient Grudge
    2x Force of Vigor
    2x Tireless Tracker
    3x Leyline of the Void
    1x Magmatic Sinkhole
    1x Red Elemental Blast
    1x Liquimetal Coating
    1x Mycosynth Lattice
    1x Tormod's Crypt
    1x Helm of Obedience
    1x Grindstone

* Not enough dudes for Smuggler's Copter
    * Blood Moon not necessary with Karn+liquimetal coating and Wrenn and Six + Wasteland.
    * Maybe there should be 1 Mox Opal in the list, but not sure
    * Helmline in matches where Leyline if important. Use Karn to get Helm, or Tormod's Crypt if you didn't get Leyline. Discard leylines to Faithless Looting
    * Tireless Tracker against control matches, or matches where your combo is hated out
    Last edited by bruizar; 07-16-2019 at 01:27 AM.

Thread Information