Thread: [Deck] Rugby (RUG-B 4c nonsense)

[Deck] Rugby (RUG-B 4c nonsense)

So the idea here is to basically rebuild the old Deathrite Shaman 4c decks, except using Mox Diamond and Wrenn and Six to add more control elements and dodge the few pieces of effective hate that deck faced from things like Back to Basics and Blood Moon. Punishing Fire/Grove is an option but it just seems kind of outclassed by Wrenn and Six by itself. I want to get more Tarmogoyfs into here but I'm not sure what to cut. 20 lands + Mox Diamond initially does look like a total non-bo, but given that this deck operates at basically 90%+ on two mana, plus Wrenn and Six returning lands and extras being found with BS/Ponder, it's not actually that big a deal. Only one basic in the deck, and that's basically to use off of Assassin's Trophy. Mox Diamond really helps the resilience to mana denial. Biggest maindeck issues are lack of graveyard hate and lack of sacrifice effects for TNN/Marit Lage, and no wrath-type effect for swarm/elfs decks, but you can't be good at everything in game 1.

Preliminary List:

Creatures - 9
    1x Tarmogoyf
    3x Baleful Strix
    3x Snapcaster Mage
    2x Leovold, Emissary of Trest

Planeswalkers - 6
    4x Wrenn and Six
    2x Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Cantrips - 8
    4x Ponder
    4x Brainstorm

Disruption - 6
    2x Thoughtseize
    4x Force of Will

Removal - 7
    2x Lightning Bolt
    2x Abrupt Decay
    2x Fatal Push
    1x Kolaghan's Command

Mana (4 Artifact, 20 Lands) - 24
    4x Mox Diamond
    2x Polluted Delta
    3x Misty Rainforest
    3x Scalding Tarn
    2x Underground Sea
    2x Tropical Rainforest
    2x Volcanic Island
    1x Taiga
    1x Bayou
    1x Badlands
    1x Island
    2x Wasteland

Sideboard
    2x Toxic Deluge
    1x Grafdigger's Cage
    1x Thoughtseize
    1x Veil of Summer
    2x Pyroblast
    1x Hydroblast
    2x Diabolic Edict
    3x Surgical Extraction
    2x Kolaghan's Command

Thoughts suggestions critiques? I think if you can get up to 3-4 Tarmogoyf and find some maindeck GY hate, this deck would really be something, but I'm pretty unsure what to cut to make that happen.

Re: [Deck] Rugby (RUG-B 4c nonsense)

I've been waiting for this thread. There's a list (and variations of it) running Arcum's Astrolabe for additional fixing instead of Mox Diamond.

It looks pretty sweet and I'm in the process of building it myself.

Here's a recent one:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2094972#paper

Quote Originally Posted by walked View Post
    I've been waiting for this thread. There's a list (and variations of it) running Arcum's Astrolabe for additional fixing instead of Mox Diamond.

It looks pretty sweet and I'm in the process of building it myself.

Here's a recent one:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2094972#paper
    I love Astrolabe, it's a seriously great card, but I don't know how many basics you can really run in a 4c deck, and 'labe can only be cast off of them.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    I love Astrolabe, it's a seriously great card, but I don't know how many basics you can really run in a 4c deck, and 'labe can only be cast off of them.
    I don't know for sure myself - but there's a bunch of 5-0 or performing lists running that variation. It's great fixing and card positive.

After I've had a chance to run this build this week I'll report back

Thread Information