Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Commander 2019 Spoilers

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: Commander 2019 Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    First enchantment removal card for mono black?
    That neat, MaRo said on his blog something like this was coming. I dig it. Narrow, but not unduly so.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

But why was this necessary?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Necessary? Nothing is necessary.

It was wanted by some subsection of players though. Frankly, I like it, because I like the "old" Color Pie better, where it didn't mean you couldn't do things in a color at all, it meant you couldn't do those things efficiently.

Oh man I need this in Modern, lol.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Do you really need to ask this after blue has gobbled up everything?

The more surprising thing is that Maro doesn't have a fit about it on his blog.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Do you really need to ask this after blue has gobbled up everything?

The more surprising thing is that Maro doesn't have a fit about it on his blog.
    The Blog is a sanitized PR vehicle, you are never going to get his immediate response to anything. I don't doubt he hates the card with a passion, but his intense bias finally got overruled to allow the card to exist, which is a win for everyone who isn't an absolutist.

Here is what he said:
    morruthehedgehog asked: Just saw Mire in Misery, this is the black enchantment removal you've been hinting at right? What is the extent of enchantment removal in black? Is it just edicts?

Here’s what we’re up to. We realized that three different colors could get rid of artifacts (white, red, and green), but only two could get rid of enchantments (white and green). Black seemed like the right choice as it had two permanent types it couldn’t remove. Now, red has trouble with enchantments and black has trouble with artifacts.
    Our constraints for black were as follows. We definitely want black to be third in efficiency behind white and green. We also didn’t want black to be able to destroy its own enchantments as we like the Deal with the Devil enchantments in black (this was the major reason black hasn’t had enchantment removal).
    With those constraints, we’ve started designing cards. Our plan is to roll them out slowly, so I don’t believe Throne of Eldraine has one. You will see more though, just slowly.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    I think it's relative to the speed it comes out.

Like comparing Sire of Insanity to Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur. Whether or not my opponent has made their second land drop would matter to which answer I would want.
    A fast Terastodon to nuke their land(s) and give them Elephants seems risky, all-in and underwhelming compared to hitting valuable targets or providing yourself with blockers to change combat math in your favor.
    A fast Tectonic Hellion represents them needing land + StP in the next 2 turns, with no opportunity to cantrip for one without the other.

Again, I stress, it's not Girselbrand. So were already several degrees removed from the best creature.
    I don't think Tectonic Hellion is terrible or anything, but it's pretty similar to Terastodon, which sees basically no play, so that guides my skepticism. Terastodon at least allows you to choose whether to blow up permanents, and gives you the option of turning your lands into 3/3s, whereas if you get Tectonic Hellion out Turn 1 on the play, it's going to eat your land. If it's later in the game, I'd rather have the ability to blow up a problem permanent, like Ensnaring Bridge. Tectonic Hellion doesn't even have an ability vs. a Bridge. Haste is decent, but I'm not sold. The Sire comparison is fine, but I've never liked Sire. I'd rather play Grave Titan, Iona, or even Inkwell Leviathan in that slot. Terrastodon has largely been supplanted by Ashen Rider. I don't see Tectonic Hellion being better than other options, but if you run it, let us know your verdict on the card.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    I don't think Tectonic Hellion is terrible or anything, but it's pretty similar to Terastodon, which sees basically no play, so that guides my skepticism. Terastodon at least allows you to choose whether to blow up permanents, and gives you the option of turning your lands into 3/3s, whereas if you get Tectonic Hellion out Turn 1 on the play, it's going to eat your land. If it's later in the game, I'd rather have the ability to blow up a problem permanent, like Ensnaring Bridge. Tectonic Hellion doesn't even have an ability vs. a Bridge. Haste is decent, but I'm not sold. The Sire comparison is fine, but I've never liked Sire. I'd rather play Grave Titan, Iona, or even Inkwell Leviathan in that slot. Terrastodon has largely been supplanted by Ashen Rider. I don't see Tectonic Hellion being better than other options, but if you run it, let us know your verdict on the card.
    No you're not wrong. I agree with your assessment, and I'm not a RB Reanimator player. But they aspire to the "gotta go fast" lifestyle, where I feel this card might end up being a thing. T1 plays they either lose their own land, or both players lose their only land. Either way, after that you have to make a new land drop and deploy something before you've lost your land again. All the while you're at critical life. The cyclic hard lock is what seems to sell it. Sire work similarly, and RB plays that all the time. It has hard cast fringe benefits, but isn't close to combat potent as this sucker.

I just anticipate I'll be seeing at least 1 in the next year. Not sure I can say the same about anything else shown so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

Curse of fool's wisdom will be a good addition to NicFit combo with Academy rector.
    At the moment it is the only card that might see play in Legacy.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
    Curse of fool's wisdom will be a good addition to NicFit combo with Academy rector.
    At the moment it is the only card that might see play in Legacy.
    I think you need to re-read Scroll of Fate

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Yeah, Scroll of Fate will definitely see play. Dreadstill decks will try it out and I'm nearly 100% sure it will see some play in Pox.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    Bone Miser
    Even better - Fluctuator.
    Stuff like Dark Deal and Ill-Gotten Gains works too.

It breaks symmetry on a lot of stuff, particularly if you add red or blue.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Stuff like Dark Deal and Ill-Gotten Gains works too.

It breaks symmetry on a lot of stuff, particularly if you add red or blue.
    Burning Inquiry and Faithless Looting are hot shit with this guy. I can see casual nerds like myself trying desperately to build Bone Miser + Waste Not into a real deck.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Burning Inquiry and Faithless Looting are hot shit with this guy. I can see casual nerds like myself trying desperately to build Bone Miser + Waste Not into a real deck.
    If only that guy cost 3 or maybe even 4. 5 is just so much...

I think C19 is pretty solidly better than C18, especially after they went and nerfed Mairsil with nonsensical rulings. I'm generally pleased with the whole set, but like anything else, it could have been better. I'm pleased with what we got and eager to make a specifically non-combo Atla deck, since Oath of Druids was my first "real" Vintage deck back in the day, I dig the feel of hatchin' some Eggs.

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I think, I am missing something. It is a repeatable Show & tell for a 2/2 manifest. So if I cheat Grizzlybrand or Emrakul i will still have to pay its cost
    That is fine you can try to Flicker it, but how it is better then Entomb+reanimate, Show and tell or Sneak attack.

I just do not see the potential here, I know it is cool to have a turn 2 Phyrexian Dreadnought. But is it really so powerful?
    Are there any powerful Morph creature around?

I think, I am missing something. It is a repeatable Show & tell for a 2/2 manifest. So if I cheat Grizzlybrand or Emrakul i will still have to pay its cost
    That is fine you can try to Flicker it, but how it is better then Entomb+reanimate, Show and tell or Sneak attack.

I just do not see the potential here, I know it is cool to have a turn 2 Phyrexian Dreadnought. But is it really so powerful?
    You can manifest any dead card, not just cheat 12/12's into play. So if you're flooded? Flooded with 2/2's you didn't cast, which means they get under Standstill.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    You can manifest any dead card, not just cheat 12/12's into play. So if you're flooded? Flooded with 2/2's you didn't cast, which means they get under Standstill.
    Just trying to brainstorm a shell . . .

Monoblue Dreadstill:

4 Standstill
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 FOW
    4 Stifle
    3 Dismember
    3 Ponder

2 Scroll of Fate

4 Dreadnaught
    4 Delver of Secrets
    2 Snapcaster Mage

20 Lands

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

It's easy to do; you're just going too deep. It turns dead cards in hand into a free 2/2 every turn. It's going to be quite good in Dreadstill because you can turn extra lands/dead cards into 2/2 beaters while under a Standstill, or just turn those 3 cards you draw into 3 2/2's if they aren't relevant.

Pox will likely use it as well, turning late game dead discard/lands/Dark Rituals into 2/2s.
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Monoblue Dreadstill:

4 Standstill
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 FOW
    4 Stifle
    3 Dismember
    3 Ponder

2 Scroll of Fate

4 Dreadnaught
    4 Delver of Secrets
    2 Snapcaster Mage

20 Lands
    That's literally my list I posted in the Dreadstill thread, with only 2 small changes: -3 Ponder, +3 Vapor Snag and I found a way to squeeze in 2x Spell Snare.

You sir are a ninja of fine quality.
    Brainstorm Realist

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Monoblue Dreadstill
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    That's literally my list I posted in the Dreadstill thread, with only 2 small changes: -3 Ponder, +3 Vapor Snag and I found a way to squeeze in 2x Spell Snare.

You sir are a ninja of fine quality.
    You guys can also look at this list that ewlandon 5-0'd with just last month. Just take out the joke cards, because I watched most of the League and he literally never cast much but 'Naughts, Delvers, and Snapcasters.

Thread Information